Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking to buy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Freedom
I was looking to buy a 914. the car is in great shape, totally stock exept for SS heater boxes.

the interior is in good shape, the wiper switch doesnt work and the interior dash lights wont come on ( i think is a fuse )

the car has all of the oriqional manuals and was repainted the origional green color 1.5 years ago. the car looks good, no rust in the engine compartment, just a little in the trunk (back) over the muffler. there were new window scrapers and seals on the roof. i think he'll sell it for 2200 USD what do you think?
Bleyseng
Check for rust in the engine bay under the battery.
Check for rust in the rocker panels in the longs.

What no pics!!!

Sounds like a good price.
Geoff
Freedom
soory its a 1974, but there is no rust on the rockers or under the battery tray, i checked that because I was told that is a problem are on the car. I think its bieng in Colorado its whole life. the car that 98k on it.

sorry no pics my camera batteries were dead!.
boxstr
Offer $1800, and be happy if the seller counters at $2000. As Geoff stated, check the usual rust areas, under battery and longs.
Keep us posted and send a pic.
CCLINCAMP914
tat2dphreak
when I bought my "newest" '72 the owner opened the doors(both), stood on the threshold(I cringed, since he's a big guy)(driver's side) and he jumped up and down, then shut the door very gently... the door latched 100% and the gaps were still perfect! I was impressed... and I thought "what a good test!"

I agree with Boxtr, offer 18, if he counters 21 or 20, yank his arm off to accept it!
type47
a '74 shouldn't be a 1.7. probably a 1.8L L-jet if still has original FI system. if it's really a 1.7, offer less; if it's a 1.8, offer more less. L-jet is not looked on favorably by most 914ers even though the factory manual states "it is the more modern FI system". i am quite pleased with my 74 L-jet car but am working (early planning stage) on a 2.0 L D-jet.
Doug73/2.0
Sounds like a good price, I just paid $1700 for my 73 2.0 with lots of drivers side floor rust, otherwise the car is pretty nice. Everyone who has stopped by indicates I got a good price, owner was asking $2000. So these cars sound pretty similar.
These are pretty rare in New England so there was not much to choose from.
Good Luck,
Doug
brant
freedom,

I apologize if my post is a repeat.. I tried to post 10 minutes ago but must have failed to hit send...

That is a good price for a truely rust free car.
but that rust is very deceptive and there is almost always more rust than you first think...

If this is your first teener, I'd recommend looking it over 1 more time (can't hurt...)...
or maybe take one of the club members along as a second opinion....

where are you in colorado.
We have a good little colorado group going of teener people.
we are hosted through yahoo and have an email list going for local...
lots of good resources/parts/people/ and help...

for example: this saturday a bunch of us are gathering to help me install a motor... free pizza if you want to stop by..

oh yeah.. whats your name?
take care and good luck with the car
brant
Freedom
I live in Pine juction west of conifer on the 285 corridor 30 miles south west of denver. i am planning on going to look at the car to morrow at 4.00pm i ampretty stoked about it, but am worried about the condidtion of the hidden 914 problem areas. i had the guy check the title, and it is a 1973. sorry about the run around, the car has a 1.7 FI. i was planning onslappingcarbson it if i bought it, im a VW hot rodder, and race Formula Vee, so i can not leave well enough alone.

the guy finished the door panels and the car seems real complete, i think i'll be able to getit for 2200 at the cheapest. the car looks good, but like i said I'll be looking again at it tomorrow.

ohhh yeah my name is dieter. college student and a veteran of the army!.
brant
where do you race the V?
scca or rmvr...?
nice to meet ya.
definitely hope it goes well for you.
brant
Gint
Welcome to the board Dieter!

You should come over Saturday. We're installing a motor in Brant's 914. There will be quite a few of the local teeners there. We can show you all the places to look for rust and answer questions. let me know if you might to come over. I'll send you a map with directions and contact info.

Mike
Freedom
sure you can slap me some directions... i have decided if the guy sells me the car for what i want to offer for it i'll buy it. i work at 3.30 on saturday, so i could stop by for a little bit. you guys'll know if i bought the car tomorrow!.

i looked at the pelican web site and checked here, i got some good info and if i dont get this car i'll look for another, i'm hooked.
Freedom
ohh yeah i forgot

i race FV in the SCCA i was 2nd in the region last year and 4th nationally ( in the region) i haveonly biengracing for a full year (less nationally ) but enjoy it.

i have a FV in the garage that is going to be for RMVR. it'll be fun.
Gint
I just emailed a link to a .jpg file with map, directions and contact info.

We're starting around 09:00. Come on over!
brant
Dieter,

If you have a chance to stop by I'd love to meet.
I know that you could pick up a few tips on what to look for... plus It would just be cool to meet.

I love FV's....
an old family friend (may he rest in peace) daryl bailey, used to be quite the builder/racer of FV's in colorado...

in fact he designed a kinda break through rear suspension and started his own build company at one point...

he used to live next door to me, and had a dyno in his garage... he used to get 5 or 6 engines into the run offs every year... and my dad used to pit for him there...

he built my first 914 motor for $200 labor as a favor to me... that sucker lasted for 60,000 hard miles and probably 20,000 of them were track miles too....

you gotta come by, I'd love to meet and hear about the FV's too... plus my dad will be there and he'll bend your ear... Plus I'm building a 914 right now for RMVR so maybe I'll see you at the track in the future...

take care and have a good weekend.
brant
Mountain914
Well Dieter, how did the showing go ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.