Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil temp/gas gauge install question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cevan
I have a oil temp/gas gauge that I want to install to replace the existing gas gauge. This will free up a space in the center console for the CHT gauge.

I pulled my existing gauge out and didn't see any wires back there for the oil temp gauge. Are they there? Otherwise I'll just cut the plug and extend the wires from the console up to the dash.
southernmost914
No connection up to the dash , connect at center tunnel rear of the shifter. bye1.gif
Steve
type47
Run a wire from the connection for the console harness to the gauge in the dash. There is a..... is it green with a black stripe for the oil temp??? connector on the center tunnel at about the distance of the front of the seat that the console harness connects to. The oil temp gauge wire just needs to be run up and behind the dash for the gauge. You also need positive power (12 V) and ground, but there are plenty of places to ground on the back of the other 2 gauges; you can piggy back a ground.
Cevan
OK, so the bottom line is the factory did not put wires in the dash area for the oil temp gauge. Thanks.
type47
No, not in the dash, only for the console.
Cevan
So I just made up a 3 wire harness that plugs into the existing plug at the center console and ran it up behind the dash. That way I didn't cut any existing wires. Here it is installed:

Click to view attachment

And seeing as I put a 2.0 into the car (granted it isn't running yet) I decided to put the proper badging on the car. These are nice aluminum ones that came on my parts car.

Before:
Click to view attachment

After:
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.