Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT: Do you like this band?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
The Cabs are a local group most of whom work at the same Trader Joes as my fiancee, so I 'kinda' know them. I'm not sure if the music is actually good, or if my opinion if biased because of my respect for a group a kids who can make something that polished on their own.

If you listen to one song, listen to 'One Last Song'.
If you listen to two, add 'That One'.

MySpace Link, click on 'One Last Song'. BTW, the song has some curse words. So protect sensitive ears.
Todd Enlund
Come on, man! You're an admin! Move this to the sandbox... rolleyes.gif

They have potential. She's got a good voice for the way she uses it. Something is lacking... I'm not sure if it's the production or the writing. It's just kinda... vanilla... overly mellow... I do like it, but it could be better. The mixing relies heavily on the vocals... the music is secondary.

I like "What About Us" far more than any of the others. I really like it, which is contrary to my analysis of the other songs... it does not rely on the vocals, because there are none. The guitar work is excellent, and the rest of the band backs it up nicely.
ConeDodger
Not what I expected... Of course those of you who know McMark personally will say that the unexpected is exactly what you should expect musically. He has one of the most eclectic iPods I have heard.

The Cabs... I hear a Suzanne Vega like quality in Gigi Moral. When I first listened to Vega I wondered how she got air time as she isn't quite as sweet tongued and polished as some other vocalists. But Vega and Moral both have some very intelligent lyrics to work with. One Last Song is one of the best breakup songs I have ever heard. Too bad with the lyrics it would never make mainstream radio without the lyrics being snubbed. These are not average musicians. I wonder what they would sound like live because I feel them wanting to bust free of the studio if you know what I mean. One Last Song would be a powerful live tune. It isn't until Seven Days that Moral uses track on track to accompany herself. With a different producer I am sure she would do more of that.

Pick up their CD for me... I like it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.