Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: boxster - is there a kit for subaru power
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
seems like the boxster engine is crap ??

but with a subaru powerplant - hum : )

jim
Jake Raby

Its a modern day Type 4. Simply misunderstood and crippled from the factory, mostly with corners that were cut to keep it cheap and profitable.

For the past few years I have been working with LN Engineering to solve the issues with it, just like we have the TIV and its been very successful.

Many aspects of the engine are awesome, and once the required expenditure has been made to solve the factory issues the engine is one strong bitch.

I have one down stairs on the dyno jet right now, we added 400ccs to a 2.5 liter and picked up 40HP with the stock ECU flash, no head work and stock cams...

type47
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Mar 29 2009, 06:20 AM) *

How so?

And is a suby a 4 cylinder or do they offer a boxer 6 cylinder?
LvSteveH
Sorry, no boxster / subie conversion kit at Renegade. I imagine you'll see a boxster / 996 LS1 kit eventually. The cars are plentiful and the LS1 is just an awesome motor in that it's light, powerful, and efficient.

The LS1 914's are fantastic and at 2300 pounds with big brakes, stereo, heater, roll bar, etc they are light too.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(type47 @ Mar 29 2009, 09:54 AM) *

How so?

Subaru Develops More Powerful, Efficient Boxer Engine
By Byron Pope

WardsAuto.com, May 1, 2007 1:02 PM

PALM SPRINGS, CA – Subaru of America Inc. introduces a more powerful engine for the ’08 Tribeca cross/utility vehicle that is equally compact as the first-generation mill.

For ’08, SOA replaces the Tribeca’s 3.0L 6-cyl. boxer with a 3.6L version that produces 256 hp and 247 lb.-ft. (335 Nm) of torque, up from 245 hp and 215 lb.-ft. (292 Nm).

ADVERTISEMENT

Powertrain engineers were tasked with two difficult objectives:

The more powerful engine had to have the same “footprint” within the engine bay in order to limit design changes and maintain top-notch safety ratings.
•And two, the mill had to produce more power using regular-grade fuel, as opposed to the premium fuel required by the 3.0L.

In order to keep the new engine roughly the same size as its predecessor, engineers increased its bore and stroke while reducing the amount of space between cylinders. This left the overall width unchanged, and added only an incremental 0.83 in. (21 mm) to the engine’s length.

The extra length was due to a change in the cam drive layout, David Sullivan, product car line manager for SOA, tells Ward's at a media event here.

“Increasing the bore was achieved by basically keeping the bore pitch the same (as the 3.0L),” he says. “However, we’ve decreased the distance between the edges of the cylinders. We were able to do that by redesigning the outer liners.”

The iron cylinder liners were made thinner, allowing for a better aluminum flow when the block was cast, Sullivan says.

Subaru raises horsepower in ’08 Tribeca without increasing engine size.
Using an asymmetrical connecting rod design also helped engineers to squeeze the cylinders closer together without widening the engine, Sullivan says.

Subaru decided to go with intake and exhaust variable valve timing, whereas the earlier mill only employed VVT on the intake side.

“This year we’ve got variable valve timing on both the intake and exhaust side, and it makes for a more flexible engine,” Sullivan says. “You can alter the timing to increase the torque characteristics on low- to mid-range engine speed, and it also allows us (greater) cylinder efficiency in higher engine rpms to help with fuel economy.”

Subaru combined VVT technology with a new engine-cooling system in order to allow the 3.6L to run on regular-grade gasoline without knocking.

Related Stories
Toyota, Subaru Swap Engineers
Subaru Sticking With AWD, Boxer Engine
Subaru Shows Refreshed ’08 Tribeca

The new cooling system decreases by 50% the difference in temperatures from one cylinder to another, Sullivan says, allowing engineers to advance timing in the low- to mid-rpm range of the engine and increase torque without inducing knock.

“That cooling system allowed us to get that big increase in the lower end of the rpm range to beef up the engine’s torque curve,” Sullivan says.

Meanwhile, Sullivan says Subaru has not ruled out the creation of a high-performance version of the 3.6L boxer engine. “There is some room for development in this engine, and we’ll continue to look at that,” he says.

“Subaru engines tend to have long lives, and we tweak them a lot over the life of development,” he notes, adding turbocharging the 3.6L mill has been discussed.
jimkelly
LS1 eventually - any chance in 2009 ??

jim

--

QUOTE(LvSteveH @ Mar 29 2009, 10:20 AM) *

Sorry, no boxster / subie conversion kit at Renegade. I imagine you'll see a boxster / 996 LS1 kit eventually. The cars are plentiful and the LS1 is just an awesome motor in that it's light, powerful, and efficient.

The LS1 914's are fantastic and at 2300 pounds with big brakes, stereo, heater, roll bar, etc they are light too.

jimkelly
so what costs are involved to improve the boxster engine. can one be brought into you and driven out the same day - enhanced ?

jim

--

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 29 2009, 07:13 AM) *

Its a modern day Type 4. Simply misunderstood and crippled from the factory, mostly with corners that were cut to keep it cheap and profitable.

For the past few years I have been working with LN Engineering to solve the issues with it, just like we have the TIV and its been very successful.

Many aspects of the engine are awesome, and once the required expenditure has been made to solve the factory issues the engine is one strong bitch.

I have one down stairs on the dyno jet right now, we added 400ccs to a 2.5 liter and picked up 40HP with the stock ECU flash, no head work and stock cams...

914helo
If you want a boxer 6 then a Suby 3.3L is the way to go. I have a 3.3L conversion out of a SVX in my 914. Stock is 230 hp and 225 ft.lb. of torque. driving.gif
The engine is almost bulletproof and with regular maintanance lasts forever. Don't mess around with a 2.5L Boxster engine that's way underpowered. I picked up my 3.3L with only 40,000 miles on it for $500. I spent another $500 on new gaskets, timing belt, water pump, etc. A Boxster 'core' engine will cost you over a 1K. Don't mess around with it.
jimkelly
i guess i could settle for an LS1 : ))))))))))))

jim
Jake Raby
I bought 6 Boxster cores for 2K... Two of them ran fine.

jimkelly
jake

what is the best antifreeze to use in a boxster : ))

you gonna make it to the Hershey event in April ??

Jim

--

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 29 2009, 04:04 PM) *

I bought 6 Boxster cores for 2K... Two of them ran fine.

Jake Raby
Nope, no events for me.. Way too busy to leave for even a single weekend!

Use Porsche coolant :-)
jimkelly
i just received an email from KEP - they are working on a LS1/996 kit and expect it to be ready in 1-2 months. someone needs to then step up to the plate and make the engine trans mounting bits. jim

http://kaiartintl.com/yahoo_site_admin/ass...8211647_std.jpg

http://www.infostuff.com/carstuff/frechett...che_boxter.html

--

QUOTE(type47 @ Mar 29 2009, 09:54 AM) *

How so?

pktzygt
I just remembered a article I read a couple years ago about a WRX STi that had the Tribeca engine in it with a turbo. It was Perrin that did the swap (my WRX had alot of really well built Perrin parts). That can't be too much cheaper of a swap than a 911 motor after all the swap parts, the turbo kit and the motor. But then we can get back into the discussion on if the converted suby tranny is better/cheaper than a porsche tranny. biggrin.gif

Jim, did you get a boxster with a bad motor or something?
BIGKAT_83
I've seen pictures of a running and driving LS2 conversion done on a Boxster. It was done a couple of years ago. With Kennedy making adapters for the LS/ Boxster transaxle this will make a new transaxle that can be used with the 914 conversions.

Bob
jimkelly
no - i did not buy a boxster - but i am a realtor and would enjoy having a fun car to drive around in that has some amount of impressive factor but does not make what i drive a distraction - a v8 914 does not go unnoticed : ))

an ls1 miata might be nice but a ls1 boxster would be MORE better. my neighbor has a bmw Z5 - so i would need somthing different.

is the radiator in a boxster enough to handle a V8??

jim
smdubovsky
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Mar 31 2009, 08:17 AM) *

Probably not. You can add the 3 radiator GT3 setup easily enough though. Forward of the doors is the exact same as a 996.

Personally, w/ boxster Ss priced in the upper teens now I don't see why anyone would bother w/ a swap FOR NOW (too much money/time). Unless you were planning on keeping it forever you'd take an even bigger bath on the resale.
pktzygt
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Mar 31 2009, 08:17 AM) *

no - i did not buy a boxster - but i am a realtor and would enjoy having a fun car to drive around in that has some amount of impressive factor but does not make what i drive a distraction - a v8 914 does not go unnoticed : ))

an ls1 miata might be nice but a ls1 boxster would be MORE better. my neighbor has a bmw Z5 - so i would need somthing different.

jim

I thought that realtors were requited to drive caddys. I think a v8 boxster whould probably not go unnoticed either. Unless you had some quiet mufflers, but that would be no fun. I have seen a 5.0 miata and that thing was hard to wide with the meat in the back and the pipes sticking out.
grantsfo
I'm dubious to whether a LS1 would fit in Boxster engine bay without signficant hacking. I talked to Renegade as well and they were thinking LS1 bolted to a G50. I'd like to see something that utilizes stock 5 speed gearbox.

I'd like to see an Audi V8 which reportedly bolts to a 5 speed Boxster tranny. But again I truly wonder if a V8 would fit in there without major hacking. Brad thinks the Cayene V8 would work as well - that would be the ultimate conversion.

I have been thinking a turbo rotary would be the ticket in a Boxster but gearing may be a problem.

I stuffed a $3000 used 2.5 Boxster motor in my 99 after I blew the first motor and it seems to be holding up fine. I'm on the fence to wheter I will build a spec boxster or go to the wildside and try to shove a big motor in the car.

Jake, We lost another 2.5 this weekend in Nor Cal at the first PCA Spec race. Sounds like similar symptoms to my motor failure. Lots of clanking. I wish they would allow your engines in the spec series! I hate the idea of racing on a ticking time bomb! But there are still enough who havent been bitten yet.
Chris Hamilton
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Mar 31 2009, 05:02 PM) *

I'm dubious to whether a LS1 would fit in Boxster engine bay without signficant hacking. I talked to Renegade as well and they were thinking LS1 bolted to a G50. I'd like to see something that utilizes stock 5 speed gearbox.

I'd like to see an Audi V8 which reportedly bolts to a 5 speed Boxster tranny. But again I truly wonder if a V8 would fit in there without major hacking. Brad thinks the Cayene V8 would work as well - that would be the ultimate conversion.

I have been thinking a turbo rotary would be the ticket in a Boxster but gearing may be a problem.

I stuffed a $3000 used 2.5 Boxster motor in my 99 after I blew the first motor and it seems to be holding up fine. I'm on the fence to wheter I will build a spec boxster or go to the wildside and try to shove a big motor in the car.

Jake, We lost another 2.5 this weekend in Nor Cal at the first PCA Spec race. Sounds like similar symptoms to my motor failure. Lots of clanking. I wish they would allow your engines in the spec series! I hate the idea of racing on a ticking time bomb! But there are still enough who havent been bitten yet.

Don't go spec! Lets see something exciting around here! I wanna see what a stripped boxster with horsepower and DOT-Rs will do around one of our autocross courses.
SirAndy
There are direct bolt in (more or less) engines for the Boxster.

In fact, just this weekend i drove one with over 400HP, normally aspirated and still all Porsche.
driving.gif Andy
jimtab
Sooo, now what are you going to do with your old -6? Or, could you kick it's ass with your beast?
grantsfo
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 31 2009, 06:01 PM) *

There are direct bolt in (more or less) engines for the Boxster.

In fact, just this weekend i drove one with over 400HP, normally aspirated and still all Porsche.
driving.gif Andy

Do you have a spare $42K? This would work very nicely. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-GT3...tem290305604119

Here is my Boxster. Not quite as quick as my 914 but not too much slower.
IPB Image

See what I mean about space. Here is a picture of engine compartment with a 2.5 liter six. Not sure how one would cram a V8 there?
IPB Image

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.