Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: horn question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
corvette6698512
Probably a simple question, but how does the horn button on the wheel work? Its like there is nowhere for the wire to go to. The horn works, but i cant figure out how to make the switch work. Thanks.
HCRDAN
I'm thinking that the metal tab on the ring which the wire connects to is broken on your car. There have been several similar threads. My approach to fixing this is to cut a new tab on the ring.
rascobo
QUOTE(corvette6698512 @ Mar 29 2009, 12:52 PM) *

Probably a simple question, but how does the horn button on the wheel work? Its like there is nowhere for the wire to go to. The horn works, but i cant figure out how to make the switch work. Thanks.

Just adding to last post by HCRDAN.

Don't know if mine is still stock (got an old RaceMark wheel & adapter) but I believe it is. There should be a metal disc with a smaller insulating cardboard disc riveted in the center, and securing a male or female spade connector that the wire connects to. Also a lg. conical spring. When the horn is pressed it presses on the disc, forcing the spring to compress until it grounds the disc to the column and 'beep beep'. (horn button>metal disc w/ gnd wire> spring.)
If it don't beep, wire may be disconnected in the column connector or has broken somewhere.

hope that helps type.gif
corvette6698512
Well it beeps if i ground out the wire. There is no spring in the whole setup so i think thats one of the problems.
rascobo
QUOTE(corvette6698512 @ Mar 29 2009, 06:53 PM) *

Well it beeps if i ground out the wire. There is no spring in the whole setup so i think thats one of the problems.

Uh, I think that be da butt Bob. biggrin.gif
HCRDAN
QUOTE(corvette6698512 @ Mar 29 2009, 08:53 PM) *

There is no spring in the 914 set up. It is a rubber doughnut that acts as a spring. Sorry, don't have a pic to show you.
corvette6698512
Ok... I do have the three rubber parts that seperate the middle ring from the other parts, is that used as the spring? The horn piece just kind of flops around on the wheel like there is nothing to put it back to the normal position.
benalishhero
Perhaps you are missing the horn boot?
corvette6698512
It does have a little boot in there as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.