Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Troubleshoot the no-start condition.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
weird_looking_cactus
I know my problem is the igintion wire or the ingintion switch. When I turn the key it just makes a little clicking sound. I can follow the ingintion wire to the electic box in the moter but theres were I get lost. I also have no clue were the igintion switch is. I have found some diagrams but they don't really help me. Thanks to anyone who replies.
mike_the_man
As far as I know, the ignition switch is the switch that is turned when you turn the key. So, it's in the steering column, under the key cylinder thingamabob. Not sure where the wires run or what colour it is, though. Somebody here will know.

What's clicking, the relay on the relay board in the engine bay, or the starter? Sounds like you're getting close to figuring this out.
weird_looking_cactus
I its the relay on the relay board in the engine bay thats making the clicking sound.
mike_the_man
I'm no EE, but to me that would indicate that the problem lies somewhere between the relay and the starter. Is there power getting to the starter when you turn the key? If not, then I think that there must be a break in the wire that goes from the relay to the starter, or at least something is going wrong somewhere along the way. Is there any power coming out of the relay? I'm not sure what pins do what, but it shouldn't be to hard to figure out.
weird_looking_cactus
I know that the starter is getting power. I just need to find out what pins do what on the relay so I can test them with my voltage meter.
ninefourteener
I'm certainly no expert..... but I did have SERIOUS starting problems with my last teener.

Turns out..... it was nothing but the keyswitch inside the column. Tweeks has it for under 20 bucks, and when I talked to them, apparently is is a VERY common problem.

Maybe thats why they sell so many of them, and why they are so cheap??

I dunno... just my experience... For piece of mind.. I'd say its worth the 20 bucks.
JWest
Ok, first the system layout.

A red wire from the battery comes into the back of the steering column into the ignition switch, which is behind the cylinder where you insert the key.

A yellow wire comes from the ignition switch and goes through the center tunnel to the passenger floor area under the seat. Here is where the seatbelt interlock is located.

The seatbelt interlock was a couple of relays that forced you to have the belt buckled before the starter would engage (it broke the circuit of the yellow wire). Often this will be disconnected, and you will see the yellow wire spliced or connected to another yellow wire and then going into the tunnel and out the back of the passenger compartment.

From here it goes to the relay board through the 14 pin connector (terminal 1). It passes through the board and out the rear 12 pin connector (terminal 6).

From here it goes to the starter.

There is no starter relay in the system.

------------------------------------------------

It is much more likely for the circuit to break at a junction rather than along the wire run.

The best thing to do is work you way forward from the starter.

Open the top of the rear 12 pin connector at the relay board. Jump the yellow wire (terminal 6) to the positive side of the battery using a large jumper wire (make sure the car is out of gear!)

If it works, then you can work your way forward through the car until you find the problem.
davep
Could be a bad relay board, that is very common also.

DaveP
weird_looking_cactus
Here is a picture of my relay board I took off the plug that the starter goes to and some little pins fell out of the plug well I think they did. Also I thought the clicking sound was coming from the relay but its coming from under the dash.
weird_looking_cactus
Here is the plug that I pulled
JWest
I think you're fine, not all the pins are used.

Go ahead and pop the top off that connector that is in your hand. Do this after you put it back on the relay board so the wires don't come out of position.

Then you can get to the back of the yellow wire and jumper +12V to it. Let us know what the starter does.
weird_looking_cactus
I got the car to turn over by just running my own wire from the battery to were the igintion wire would be on the starter. But I couldn't get to fire up. Im not sure what else I can do I have good gas in there maybe I need to change the spark plugs.Is there something on the relay board that will stop the car from starting even though its turning over. I did get it started by push starting it ran for about 20 secs when I first got it.. Also how do I tell if mine is fuel injected or carberated.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(weird_looking_cactus @ Feb 26 2004, 11:03 PM)
Also how do I tell if mine is fuel injected or carberated.

If this is your car in the photo from your other thread..... It is fuel injected.

(might I suggest you invest $10 in a Haynes shop manual)
John
With the key "on", one of the relays on the relay board shown should be energised (it should also "click" when you turn the key). It should be the main power relay (fuel injection). In your picture, it was the white round relay. With the key "on" and all connectors plugged in, wiggle that relay out and see if it clicks (de-energises) when removed. If not, swap the white relay with one of the other two. The three relays shown in your picture are (from front of car to back of car) Power supply relay (white in your case), Fuel delivery pump relay, and Heater fan relay.

Have you been able to turn over the engine by applying 12 volts to pin 6 of the 12 pin connector (while it is plugged in)? (it should be a yellow wire).

You should also check the two fuses on the relay panel.

When you first turn the key, the fuel pump should run for 2-3 seconds then shut off. It is a whirring sound.

Also when you first turn the key, the low oil pressure indicator lamp should light and stay lit until the engine starts.

Good luck.
weird_looking_cactus
Well I got the car to start today but it had no power at all. I had to keep the gas down all the way to keep it running. I think it was running on only 2 pistions. So Im guessing the spark plugs are bad I got 2 of them replaced I didn't have time to get the rest. I also bought new spark plug wires but I couldn't figure how to put them together. Right now I have the 6 pin hot wired to the battery. I need all new relays I think cause they are all rusted I probley just need a new relay board that would be the best.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.