Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trying to find a truck I can borrow
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jcambo7
I am having the hardest time finding a truck I can borrow from someone that has a hitch hookup so I can pick up the 914 I'm getting on Tuesday. It would cost me over 250 to rent one from uhual. headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif
boxstr
Happy to loan you mine if you were closer..
SGB
I'm closer, but not close enough... sad.gif
dlo914
If all fails, try getting the AAA tow service. You'll need it since you're gonna be be owning a 914.

914's, AAA, jackstands, etc...go hand in hand biggrin.gif
blitZ
How far do you have to tow it? Home Depot rents trucks for cheap.
VaccaRabite
I tried to use AAA when I bought mine. They refused to touch it until the title was registered by the state to me.

Zach
dakotaewing
I agree with the Home Depot suggestion...
How far do you have to move the car?
dbgriffith75
Where are you picking up the car from? I'm about 700 miles from ya, but if you're heading north to get it, maybe we can work something out...

[Edit]

I don't know what Uhauls policy on their towbars is, but if your car has even a small hitch set up on it, that should be enough to pull the teener in a car. Teeners aren't very heavy cars- so maybe you can do it?
Gene
you can always go to enterprise/etc and get the big ext. cab truck there. They always have the hookups built in. There is a no towing policy but as long as you don't wreck anything you should be fine. I may or may not have driven 1200 miles with a rented truck and a uhaul car trailer.
effutuo101
agree.gif and a lot cheaper.
jcambo7
I have to go down to Grand Prairie, TX. About 213.98 miles South of me. I only have a Honda and it doesnt have a hitch hook-up at all.
dbgriffith75
QUOTE(Gene @ Mar 30 2009, 09:39 AM) *

you can always go to enterprise/etc and get the big ext. cab truck there. They always have the hookups built in. There is a no towing policy....

Seriously, WTF.gif What is the point in renting a pick up if you can't use it to tow something? That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Furthermore, if they have a no towing policy, why would they provide pick ups with a built in hitch?
So.Cal.914
Does the car run? Fly down and drive back. Sorry Dude, to far to be any help.
jcambo7
QUOTE(dbgriffith75 @ Mar 30 2009, 11:15 AM) *

QUOTE(Gene @ Mar 30 2009, 09:39 AM) *

you can always go to enterprise/etc and get the big ext. cab truck there. They always have the hookups built in. There is a no towing policy....

Seriously, WTF.gif What is the point in renting a pick up if you can't use it to tow something? That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Furthermore, if they have a no towing policy, why would they provide pick ups with a built in hitch?

Yeah well I tried home depot and they dont have any trucks with towing capabilities. WTF.gif . Looks like I will go with enterprise. it's only 60 some odd bucks for a day and they dont charge extra on mileage unless its outside the nieghboring states from the state you rented it. driving.gif
jcambo7
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Mar 30 2009, 11:18 AM) *

Does the car run? Fly down and drive back. Sorry Dude, to far to be any help.

Its cool. No the car currently doesnt run right now. If it did I would have a friend drive my car back to Oklahoma n I would drive the 914. The previous owner took out the fuel lines to replace the tunnel lines and didn't finish the project. The car ran before that but not anymore. Trust I would definitely rather drive the teener back to Oklahoma the tow it. driving.gif
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Mar 30 2009, 09:21 AM) *

Yeah well I tried home depot and they dont have any trucks with towing capabilities. WTF.gif . Looks like I will go with enterprise. it's only 60 some odd bucks for a day and they dont charge extra on mileage unless its outside the nieghboring states from the state you rented it. driving.gif

Check the bumper on the Home Depot trucks... could you put a ball in and remove it when you are done? Teeners are not very heavy, a bumper hitch will suffice.
jcambo7
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Mar 30 2009, 11:24 AM) *

QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Mar 30 2009, 09:21 AM) *

Check the bumper on the Home Depot trucks... could you put a ball in and remove it when you are done? Teeners are not very heavy, a bumper hitch will suffice.

I asked the guy if any of their trucks could tow and he said no none of them could. Its actually cheaper to go with enterprise though since they dont charge by miles while home depot and uhaul do.
Gene
You'll need to buy a tow hitch. The enterprise truck will have the spot for it but they do not include the hitch and ball. I had one already but wallmart was fairly cheap for them.

The large crew cab trucks ( I had a toyota tacoma) have the tow electronics intact so you are good there. I went with the uhaul car trailer. It was pretty nice but the tiny construction lanes on the expressway were a chore
jcambo7
QUOTE(Gene @ Mar 30 2009, 12:16 PM) *

You'll need to buy a tow hitch. The enterprise truck will have the spot for it but they do not include the hitch and ball. I had one already but wallmart was fairly cheap for them.

The large crew cab trucks ( I had a toyota tacoma) have the tow electronics intact so you are good there. I went with the uhaul car trailer. It was pretty nice but the tiny construction lanes on the expressway were a chore

My friend Im borrowing the car dolley from has the hitch and ball. Im pretty sure their is no single lane construction going on on I-35 right now. So I should be fine. The truck Im getting from enterprise will be a Chevy Coloroda or a Dodge Dokata. I'd rather have the Chevy so hopefully thay have that available.
dbgriffith75
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Mar 30 2009, 12:24 PM) *

Im pretty sure their is no single lane construction going on on I-35 right now. So I should be fine.

You're going to just outside of Dallas, and you're pretty sure there's no road work going on?

laugh.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif

Sorry, I couldn't help it. I don't think there's any such thing as no road construction in any city, especially in a city as large as Dallas. There's ALWAYS road work going on. I think road work may be the only truly safe job in America right now. flag.gif

That is all. smile.gif
Grelber
What time are you planning on hitting the road from Grand Prairie? I'll be going thru Denton around 2:00, heading north. (sorry, company car with no hitch capabilities).
jcambo7
QUOTE(dbgriffith75 @ Mar 30 2009, 12:48 PM) *

QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Mar 30 2009, 12:24 PM) *

Im pretty sure their is no single lane construction going on on I-35 right now. So I should be fine.

You're going to just outside of Dallas, and you're pretty sure there's no road work going on?

laugh.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif

Sorry, I couldn't help it. I don't think there's any such thing as no road construction in any city, especially in a city as large as Dallas. There's ALWAYS road work going on. I think road work may be the only truly safe job in America right now. flag.gif

That is all. smile.gif

Yeah well 3 weeks ago I drove to Frisco, TX 2 weekends in a row and their was not that much single lane construction. But who knows down in Dallas.
jcambo7
QUOTE(Grelber @ Mar 30 2009, 04:38 PM) *

What time are you planning on hitting the road from Grand Prairie? I'll be going thru Denton around 2:00, heading north. (sorry, company car with no hitch capabilities).

I plan to pick it up around 1 pm. Hopefully I can actually pick it up at 12 instead so I can get back earlier. driving.gif
dlo914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 30 2009, 05:27 AM) *

I tried to use AAA when I bought mine. They refused to touch it until the title was registered by the state to me.

Zach

That sucks James (VOX) called AAA to tow our roller (no engine, tranny, or title in hand) about 80 miles and we got lucky i guess. The tow truck driver said these exact words "i'm not suppose to do this, but i like to work on cars so i'll tow it." and something else about how he always gets these type of calls.
IPB Image
dlo914
duplicate post.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.