Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Springs or Springs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
Compared to the front, The rear end rides low . Havn't been able to find a name on the shocks but they're orange in color. Does orange designate a brand, or can they be any brand and orange? The push the rear of the car test seems to pass the shocks as ok. Is there anything beside springs that can be the cause? For a daily driver, what size springs should I get and where's a good place and price? I know this is a bad picture, and I'll get better one's tomorrow of springs and shocks. Initial opinions? Thanks. Bill
So.Cal.914
Orange could be Koni's. I run 140 lb springs in the rear. It really doesn't look that low. Maybe you need to lower the front. smile.gif
bandjoey
I've kinda thought that was another possibility but I've read a lot of posts on rear springs giving out, and not much on front. Does the strut have to come out to make that adjustment?

I just looked at the owners manual and it shows top of car to ground and clearance under the pan measurements. I'm going to take a few tomorrow and see how they match the manual.
Thanks!
Bruce Hinds
I'll agree the ride height of the rear doesn't look too low. The origional springs did have a tendency to sag and it usually showed by one side being lower than the other. That being said, most of the cars still running have probably had the springs replaced by now.

Front height can be adjusted from under the car with out even jacking it up. There's an adjustment at the aft end of the torson bar. I'd suggest doing it little by little. If you ususally drive alone, put your weight in the drivers seat and count the turns you make on the adjustment. It's been a long time since I did this, but as I recall, a 1/2 turn makes a difference. You may not see a 1/2 turn difference at first, you may have to push down on the fender, like your shock push test.

Or, start with one turn on each side and drive it. Make another adjustment and drive it, do that until you get what you like. If you have sway bars, the front can be slightly lower than the back. I think the non swaybar cars may have had the front slightly higher. If you don't have sway bars get them, it will make all the difference in the world.

Good luck,
B
Cupomeat
Don't forget that after you lower your front end ride height, you will need to re-align to get the proper toe-in.
alansd
My 73 sags more on one side in the rear...The 195 60 tires I put on rub on the right side rear fender, fit great on the left.
I have tried to come up with a solution, been told pull out the fender, tighten up the shock bolt, check the "ear", all that was ok but- it seems the sagging springs makes the most sense to cause this problem? Comments?
SLITS
The freakin' springs sag over time. Buy new ones and restore ride height.
bandjoey
I was amazed at what the PO did to make the VW Bug wheels look right. He jacked up the front end and hand pulled/bent the rear fender lips out, and at the same time jamed wads of old tire rubber into the upper rear springs to jack up the rear of the car! One 3lb hammer and a stanley crow bar later, the springs actually look about right.

Took off the VW Empi wheels that were the wrong offset and put on a set of Pedrini's with 195 60r 15 and they fit great...look awful. Thanks for the tip on the front height adjustment. I looked and it's an easy adjustment.

I looked at the rear shocks tonight and they're marked
Hencho En Mexico
Orange
E-14
10/08

Any idea what these shocks might be?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.