Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Programmable electronic speedometer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
marks914
We have been doing some peogrammable electronic speedometers for 914s, 911s and 944s as one-offs. I was thinking if there was any interest, we could build 5-10 of them to save a few bucks on the parts and screening. We were hoping to get the price down to $149-$195 each, without the sending unit.
What do you think?

Mark

IPB Image
Joe Bob
I have a VDO model in my Speedster. You set it with a GPS, no more wondering what your real speed is....
effutuo101
Mike, can you post a pic and maybe a p/n? Thanks
Joe Bob
Totally not suitable for the 914 appearance....but here it is. The retro look. Webpage

IPB Image
marks914
We also have a GPS sender, works with any electronic speedo, you can even run a 911 electric speedo of of it. Nordskog makes it

Mark
okieflyr
You've got my attention, since my electronic speedo doesn't read quite as accurate as I'd like. drooley.gif

QUOTE(marks914 @ Mar 30 2009, 11:17 AM) *

We also have a GPS sender, works with any electronic speedo, you can even run a 911 electric speedo of of it. Nordskog makes it

Mark

turnaround89
I tried to find the gps sender on the website but couldnt find it. How much would it be for a speedo and gps sender, cause i might be interested!!!
RJMII
With the GPS setup, would we be able to just block off that $%*& leaking speedo cable angle drive??
Chris Hamilton
How much is the sender, and how much work does it take to attach to a 914?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Mar 30 2009, 06:47 PM) *

How much is the sender, and how much work does it take to attach to a 914?

agree.gif idea.gif
rick 918-S
We need a whole discussion on this speedo and the sender as well as a cost break down. Mark, You know I need one for the Shealey as I have no cable output to drive an old school speedo. As I get closer to finishing up the car I will need one. My situation is a little different as I won't be in on a group buy because I need a different look. But, How about a conversation on a package including a sender. I'm sure this will make it a little less attractive but we need to at least see the option and cost.
charliew
Me too but I'm thinking when I get the tranny in I want the gears on the speedometer maybe. Does that sound dumb? It seems like I had a car that had the gears on the speedometer. Maybe it was in my dreams.

But I do like the idea of a gps driven speedometer. I have to use a gps on my k5 blazer cause right now I 'm running a 3:08 till I get the 3:73 12 bolt back together.
marks914
I am trying to get our pricing on the GPS sender, I will call my sales guy today. There is a bolt-on speedo sender that mounts to the angle drive for $100. I am also exploring having an adapter cable attach to GM style sender (I have about 100 of them in stock, so using these would be less expensive)
The great thing is, either way you have an accurate reading. With the programmable speedo, push the button, drive a mile, push it again, and its programmed perfectly. I will update later this afternoon when I get a hold of someone at Nordskog.
Now that I know there is some interest, I can dive into it a little further.
BTW, how do you view the forum in the "old" layout. Sometimes I have to view it in this wierd format with all of the posts in a small box beneath the main forum.

Mark
rick 918-S
QUOTE(marks914 @ Mar 31 2009, 02:49 AM) *

BTW, how do you view the forum in the "old" layout. Sometimes I have to view it in this wierd format with all of the posts in a small box beneath the main forum.

Mark

Top right there is an options button. Click it, scroll down and pick standard.
cvoros
I was talking with you about building a gauge cluster and after seeing this I may hold off a bit until we get some pricing on the unit, sender packages. I may want to go that route instead of the standard speedo with my cluster.

charliew
I will have the suby sender to work with and it's inside the tranny and cleaner looking so really that's the best way for my application. The only thing about the gears on the speedo is if I change tires the top speed of each gear will change. I guess I'll also need to make a perfect decision on the gearset I want or It'll be goofy if I need to go back and switch gears sets. Maybe Im making a simple deal too complicated.

A standard speedo to 180 would be great. Of course with switchable color leds.
Mikey914
I would love to do away with the angles drive for the speedo, but I was interested in the accuracy. I use a dual GPS system backed up with an inertial reference system at work, and have noticed at low speeds less than 50 that the accuracy is off often as much as 10-15. The more stable the platform (ie at high speed and with shallow turns) the closer the indication, the accuracy is perfect once your in the 60 range. How accurate is this if your in a school zone or other low speed area?
marks914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 31 2009, 09:08 AM) *

QUOTE(marks914 @ Mar 31 2009, 02:49 AM) *

Mark

Top right there is an options button. Click it, scroll down and pick standard.

Thanks Rick, what a pain!
marks914
Just got off the phone with our suppliers. the GPS sender is $199.95. It uses 5 samples per second, so there is no lag and works very well at low speed.
The sender that mounts to the angle drive is $115.00 from speedometer solutions.

We had a place making adapter cables for a GM sender, but they are out of business. Hopefully we can find another source to get the price down.

So, the programmable speedometer, no problem, we have done those. I will get final pricing on a "stock" layout to get the price down as much as we can.

If this sounds in the box, let me know and we can start making some up, at least I will have one in my car.

Mark
charliew
I'm up for one but I will just use the suby sender. But I also want the red, blue, white leds that can be dimmed and the color changed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.