Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lights dimming when cruising
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SUNAB914
I'm sure someone has had this happen. When cruising to work in the early morning I can tell my lights (headlights and corner lights) kinda pulse dim and bright. The generator light isn't affected, and I don't have a center console with gauge so I can't tell what volts I have. If someone has had this experience let me know what the outcome was. It's a 75 2.0
Thanks
Chris
dbgriffith75
It sounds like an alternator problem to me. You say your indicator light isn't affected, but the only reason they wouldn't be maintaining brightness is if they're not getting the proper voltage.

Now, it could be that a connection is coming loose; could be a bad ground; it might even be your voltage regulator going bad. Doesn't matter- it's alternator related. Start by either testing the alternator yourself or having it done. If that's not the problem, check the regulator (which I don't know how to do) or just replace it. If that still doesn't fix it, start chasing wires, checking ground points, etc.

And most importantly keep us updated- we can't help you unless you tell us what's going on.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
db hit it on the money. If the belt is tight the voltage regulator is bad. make sure you watch the battery area. Could be having an acid spill from the overcharging. Baking soda and water will tell.
Nor.Cal.914
I've had this happen to me before mad.gif My alternator quit on me while I was cruising and my headlights started dimming. My volt gauge was working though and I could watch as the volts steadily dropped down to nothing and then the car died from lack of spark. I replaced my voltage regulator and alternator and it's been running great ever since! Thanks
-Chris
benalishhero
Yep voltage regulator.

Had it happen to me last summer. Luckly I had a spare volvo one on hand to keep driving that day.

edit:Come to think of it I've had the nut holding the lead to the alt. back-off

You might try there too.
SUNAB914
Thanks for the replies gents, I have a new voltage regulator so I will start there, if not, I plan on starting a new resto with this car so the engine will be coming out soon anyway. I'll let you know.
Chris
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.