Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Engine Replacement Options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MiniDitka
Hello, I am new to the forums and I am thinking about diving into a 914 project. I love the idea of a mid engined sports car and after the Toyota FJ40 project is complete I would like to work on a 914. A buddy has a line on some good cars as his dad works exclusively on Porsches.

After perusing the forums it looks like Porsche Boxer and Subaru Boxer engines are the most popular replacements.

The Porsche engine would obviously allow for the aircooled engine technology to remain.

However I am intrigued by the Subaru powerplants and I was wondering what all is involved in the subaru transplant. What engines are the simplest in terms getting them running efficiently in a 914.

How new can the engine be, the one in this ebay ad is right next to my parents house and would be able to get it cheaper than the listed price.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUBARU-2004...%3A1|240%3A1318

Thanks in advance guys,
-Neil
SirAndy
The Boxster motor doesn't fit without MAJOR cutting. And then you have to mount a radiator somewhere as it is watercooled.

Porsche stopped using the aircooled /6 in the 911 somewhere around 1996, so that's as new as you can get with an aircooled Porsche motor.

I know nothing about Suby motors, except the fact that you would still have to mount a radiator somewhere, preferably in a location where it gets air flow.

If you want to stay Porsche, you can read up by following the link in my signature.
shades.gif Andy

PS: welcome.png
craig downs
If you want to stay with the aircooled 4 look up Jake Raby at Aircooled Technologes.
He knows how to build some good powerful and reliable 4s. Our if you want to put it together yourself he sells engine kits to.
RJMII
yeah, check out www.type4store.com

He's got some pretty neat stuff.

If you really want to go suby check out renegade hybrids. They've got a lot of good info there for that route.
MiniDitka
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 30 2009, 10:52 PM) *

The Boxster motor doesn't fit without MAJOR cutting. And then you have to mount a radiator somewhere as it is watercooled.

I didn't mean a Boxster engine but a boxer or flat engine layout. I assumed this layout works best and is why porsche and subaru engines are the most popular.

Though I have seen small block V8s so I know anything is possible.

I will check out Air Cooled Technologies though, thanks for the tip.

-Neil
SirAndy
QUOTE(MiniDitka @ Mar 31 2009, 06:46 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 30 2009, 10:52 PM) *

I didn't mean a Boxster engine but a boxer or flat engine layout.

My bad! biggrin.gif

Too much Boxster talk around here lately ... rolleyes.gif

Depending on how much HP you want, the Porsche /6 is more or less a direct bolt in but the motor will be more expensive than a Suby.

Personally, the thought of adding water to a 914 just does not sound right ...
stirthepot.gif Andy
So.Cal.914
I have read here guys bitching about how much there 6 conversion is costing them.

But all that stops as soon as they are driving them. biggrin.gif The 914 engine compartment was designed for a Porsche 6. IMHO
rick 918-S
welcome.png assimilate.gif
TC 914-8
I agree the 914 was designed for more HP than what it came with. If I had the $$$, I would definetly find the biggest Porsche 6 intercooled, FI, turbo, money could buy, with a 915 transaxle.
Til then I'll stick with the SBC. Most 6 banger carbs cost more than my engine, (not really). poke.gif

popcorn[1].gif
RJMII
QUOTE(TC 914-8 @ Mar 31 2009, 08:34 PM) *

I agree the 914 was designed for more HP than what it came with. If I had the $$$, I would definetly find the biggest Porsche 6 intercooled, FI, turbo, money could buy, with a 915 transaxle.
Til then I'll stick with the SBC. Most 6 banger carbs cost more than my engine, (not really). poke.gif

That's the case w/my turbo v6 install. I picked up the engine for cheap. although the EFI and the radiator and the adaptor added up to include the manifolds for the carbs. lol and air filters.

welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.