Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rusty floors ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
evangojason
So I pulled everything out of the car and I'm cleaning up the floor boards and firewall and all the reat of that fun stuff. Got all the sound material out and now i'm removing paint and rust. What is the best way to get into the center section to clean it up? You know where the "tranny hump" would be. Is there a way to get in there? I've got alot of help reading threads to get to this piont but havent heard anyone mention this part of the floor.
drive-ability
I'll jump in here, your talking about center tunnel and its mostly sealed not an easy place to work. I 'm sure others have tackled this area, but I has a little rust there and just cleaned as much as I could and sealed it with Por-15 a paint / sealer.
evangojason
QUOTE(drive-ability @ Mar 30 2009, 09:42 PM) *

I'll jump in here, your talking about center tunnel and its mostly sealed not an easy place to work. I 'm sure others have tackled this area, but I has a little rust there and just cleaned as much as I could and sealed it with Por-15 a paint / sealer.

Thats what the plan was, should i just dump a good amount in there and let it spead itself into the areas I cant get to? Is it one over those things you do the best you can and try to forget about and hope it never comes back to haunt you?
SirAndy
QUOTE(evangojason @ Mar 30 2009, 08:53 PM) *

Thats what the plan was, should i just dump a good amount in there and let it spead itself into the areas I cant get to? Is it one over those things you do the best you can and try to forget about and hope it never comes back to haunt you?

No! I wouldn't dump POR-15 into the center tunnel ...

If there is significant rust in there, it needs to be fixed the right way ( sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif ) ...
If it's just surface rust, get a spray bottle, fill it with Metal Ready or Ospho and spray the heck out of the tunnel.

Btw. your transmission is all the way in the back of the car, so no "tranny hump" in the cabin.
shades.gif Andy
evangojason
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 30 2009, 10:12 PM) *

QUOTE(evangojason @ Mar 30 2009, 08:53 PM) *

No! I wouldn't dump POR-15 into the center tunnel ...

If there is significant rust in there, it needs to be fixed the right way ( sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif ) ...
If it's just surface rust, get a spray bottle, fill it with Metal Ready or Ospho and spray the heck out of the tunnel.

Btw. your transmission is all the way in the back of the car, so no "tranny hump" in the cabin.
shades.gif Andy

Yes yes I know where my tranny is, just didn't know the name. But anyways, there is some "flaky" rust in there but poking around in there seems to be solid. So maybe vacume what i can, use compressor to try and spray the loose stuff to where I can get at it then metal prep? Thanks so much for the help, alittle suprised I couldnt find any talk about this with all I've read on cleaning and preping the floors.
SirAndy
QUOTE(evangojason @ Mar 30 2009, 09:54 PM) *

Yes yes I know where my tranny is, just didn't know the name. But anyways, there is some "flaky" rust in there but poking around in there seems to be solid. So maybe vacume what i can, use compressor to try and spray the loose stuff to where I can get at it then metal prep? Thanks so much for the help, alittle suprised I couldnt find any talk about this with all I've read on cleaning and preping the floors.

There's threads on here, but they may be buried, we've been running this forum for 7 years ...

You got the right idea. Vacuum, blow out then prep.
thumb3d.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.