Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone know of a good alignment shop in so cal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dw914er
After I put on the 205-50-15s on my 914, I noticed that I need an alignment bad (negative camber made the tire rub on the inside fender)

Anyone know of a good on in so cal? Right now the car is in Yucaipa, so I don't want to have to take it too far. I've added the shim's to the rear, and thats helped stop the rubbing, but its not nearly as precise as it should be.

Thanks,

Ben Matlock
jim_hoyland
J.C's Alignments
7542 Warner Ave # 111 About 2 blocks west of Beach Blvd by the R/R tracks
Huntington Beach, CA 92647
(714) 841-1285

He has the latest equipment and the 914 in in his program. Preety nice guy, reasonable prices; he does work saturdays by appt only.
yeahmag
http://johnsonsalignment.com/
johnnie5
Jae Lee/Mirage Intl. Off of Miramar Rd. here in San Diego. Porsche only, mostly race cars. Alignment and corner balancing around $450...
craig downs
I just got mine aligned this weekend at Buds Tire and Service in Riverside. Manny knows how to align our cars and does a good job.
Buds Tires and Service
8651 Indiana
Riverside, Ca.
You take 91 west to Adams, left on the 2nd light and turn right, down about 1/2 mile to Monroe. There on the corner of Indiana & Monroe.
Make sure you ask for Manny.
dw914er
$450 is alot of money to me
KaptKaos
Alex at Precision Tech in Culver City.
Heeltoe914
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Mar 30 2009, 09:13 PM) *

Alex at Precision Tech in Culver City.

Great guy to have the work done and he knows 914s. 310 822 4566
dlo914
Two Recommendations:

Monterey Alignment

or

Firestone Tires & Service
IIRC they have their "Premium Alignment" service with a lifetime warranty for as long as you own the vehicle. For around $200 and you can get your car aligned whenever you'd like and only pay once.
johnnie5
QUOTE(dw914er @ Mar 30 2009, 09:10 PM) *

$450 is alot of money to me

Me too! My good friend Mark, who has owned and operated Performance Independent Porsche here in San Diego for over 30 years, referred me to Jae Lee at Mirage. Mark told me 'full alignment' was around $300 with corner balancing (so he thought). But when I got to Jae's shop, it turned out that alignment (toe in and camber/caster) was $300, and corner balancing was another $150. I was not prepared to spend $450 on a 'full' alignment, but Jae comes very highly recommended, and when I saw his shop full of awesome 911 race cars... I kinda got the idea he knew what he was doing. It took him 5+ hours, as he does everything by hand. He weights the driver's seat with how much you tell him you weigh, and gets the corners balanced within 2 lbs of each other. He really does a fantastic job, and from what I have come to find out - $450 for this job is fairly commonplace, done correctly on our cars.
byndbad914
for the general SoCal folks...

2nd on Johnson's if you need a corner balance as well, which you can't so don't bother asking - he races Porsches and when I had mine done there he had another teener come in with the same Sheridan body work!

WAAAAYYYY F'n cheaper than $450!!! That is out of line, not aligned. As said, you can't corner balance your car anyway (need adjustable suspension fr and rear), but when I first assembled my car about 3 yrs ago I went to Johnson's and had it aligned and corner balanced and I think it may have even been under $300, if pricing has increased (as I am sure it has) I would be surprised if it was now $450! $300 to align a 914????

It was $150 for the corner balance at that time as well and he too ballasts the seat to match your weight, etc. That is standard for balancing a car.

Jae does good work as I understand and has fooled enough people into thinking he is worth it (kudos to him! holy crap) but that is "Porsche pricing" for a VW car dry.gif

For you specifically...

those are way too far from Yucaipa to be of value. Frankly, just call around locally as a first step and see if you find a guy that immediately knows anything about shimming the rear - I found regardless of where I lived with a 914 in SoCal I could find a guy within 20 miles of my house every time that I could ask "how do you align the rear of a 914" and if he mentioned the shims he could do it just fine. Most guys will say "we put the laser thingy on the wheels, blah blah" and never mention the shims - don't go there hahahahaha laugh.gif

edit - oh yeah, makes sure they HAVE SHIMS for the rear and/or I would recommend bringing your own. I used to have a bunch from cars I scrapped over the years but no longer have trailing arm rear suspension so gave 'em away.
dw914er
Yea... I have shims... and have added them to my car to remidy the immediate problem (tire rub) but its not exactly going to be accurate I think

I'll call around... see if Precision Motion knows of anyone that can do it too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.