Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: buying new carbs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JOE M
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-BUS-Type...sQ5fAccessories

Attached is a link to ebay. These are the carbs im thinking about using for my 72 1.7 liter. Just curious if anyone has ever used these and if they are easy to tune.
JoeSharp
Hey Joe, I've put 3 sets of the 40's on 914's and I like everything but the linkage. I use the CB hex bar set up on them but you need to make a bracket to hold it. They get great MPG.
hi4head
Hi Joe,
I put in a set that are probably similar last year. I got the Weber 34 ICT duals off ebay. (webercarbsdirect I think) Overall I am pleased, even with them on a 2 liter engine. I did have to do a little modification to the brackets holding the linkage bar and air filters, but not a major deal. You may also need to change the jets. (At least I needed to go larger.) I've read some negative comments about the Weber guys, but my experience with them was very positive.

You'll need to make some kind of bracket for the throttle cable and you'll need a low pressure fuel pump. You'll also probably want to get a guage to balance the airflow on the two carbs, a larger return spring to help with the linkage, and there probably are other things that I simply don't remember.

Good luck and have fun.

Chris

type2man
I'm not a big fan of the 34 ict's. They are only good on a 1600 VW engine. They do not flow well on engine bigger than that. Your best bet would be to find a clean set of Dellorto 40's and rebuild them if needed...
JOE M
QUOTE(hi4head @ Apr 1 2009, 02:53 PM) *

Hi Joe,
I put in a set that are probably similar last year. I got the Weber 34 ICT duals off ebay. (webercarbsdirect I think) Overall I am pleased, even with them on a 2 liter engine. I did have to do a little modification to the brackets holding the linkage bar and air filters, but not a major deal. You may also need to change the jets. (At least I needed to go larger.) I've read some negative comments about the Weber guys, but my experience with them was very positive.

You'll need to make some kind of bracket for the throttle cable and you'll need a low pressure fuel pump. You'll also probably want to get a guage to balance the airflow on the two carbs, a larger return spring to help with the linkage, and there probably are other things that I simply don't remember.

Good luck and have fun.

Chris

I should have mentioned that I have 40 redline IDF`S installed right now. I contacted some guy at weber and he said they look like early 80`s vintage.I tried everything in my power to tune them and no luck at all.I also had a friend from this site stop by and try to help and he could not get them tuned.That is why I was thinking about 34`s. They seem to be recomended for this size engine.I dont even care about going fast at this point only about actually moving out of the driveway. If I can get this damn thing to run and move out of my driveway I would be so happy. I want to just hit the "buy it now button" on ebay but i would hate to get stuck for another 350 and still no ride. Damn this car is like playing golf. You love it 1 minute and hate it the next. Any help or recomendations would be great.
McMark
Your 40 IDFs might need a smaller venturi set.

I just ordered a set of single throat carbs for my 1.7 beater. I'm expecting good things.
charliew
There's a good chance anything you buy will need tuning, If your not good at it then you probably won't like the results you get. Lowbudget.com will sell you tuned carbs for your motor I think. I have not used this vender for this but lots of people have and like the results.
JOE M
Well I decided to go with the Weber 34`s rather than the knock off that I posted. They should arive in a few days so if the weather is good I will drop them in this weekend.
r_towle
Awesome.
The carbs you have would not be tuned because they would not stop leaking...they have served their time...chuck them now.

To much pitting and toasted threads to ever stop leaking at this point.

I am around this weekend if you need tools, beer, support, whatever.

Rich
JOE M
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 6 2009, 07:11 PM) *

Awesome.
The carbs you have would not be tuned because they would not stop leaking...they have served their time...chuck them now.

To much pitting and toasted threads to ever stop leaking at this point.

I am around this weekend if you need tools, beer, support, whatever.

Rich

Thanks again Rich.
McMark
Got my bus carbs yesterday and test fit them. I like the bus crossbar linkage. It's pretty smart. One of the carbs I got has a leaky accelerator pump jet. I need to try and fix that. Or find a replacement.

Mine a Solexs.
rdr
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 7 2009, 07:52 PM) *

Got my bus carbs yesterday and test fit them. I like the bus crossbar linkage. It's pretty smart. One of the carbs I got has a leaky accelerator pump jet. I need to try and fix that. Or find a replacement.

Mine a Solexs.

McMark
confused24.gif
914Mike
QUOTE(JOE M @ Apr 6 2009, 02:55 PM) *

Well I decided to go with the Weber 34`s rather than the knock off that I posted. They should arive in a few days so if the weather is good I will drop them in this weekend.

You'll love 'em! I'm running 34's on my 2056, plenty of smooth power, driving.gif missing just a bit at the top end compared to the 40's. Much more drivable than the 40's I had... Bugformance down the street had some jets, and was able to get the exact ones I needed after I test ran a few sets with my O2 meter connected. They even traded me the test pair for the ones I ordered that were in between the ones they had on hand. aktion035.gif
JOE M
Carbs are in and I pick them up tonight at UPS.Damn I hope these work out cause im getting anxious. I will keep you all posted.
reverie
I hope they work great for you! Here's hoping.. smile.gif
r_towle
Whatever you need, ask.

Rich
JOE M
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 8 2009, 06:05 PM) *

Whatever you need, ask.

Rich

Well the carbs came in and I started to set them up on the bench and found that the manifolds do not line up with the carbs. The hole pattern is off by about 1/8" on each side. I called Weber this morning and those guys are great. There was no hesitation in sending new manifolds out to me. They are sending them overnite so I will have them tomorrow afternoon. So for tonight I will set up the linkage and remove my old carbs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.