Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tar paper residue removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Thorshammer
I removed all of the tar paper from the floors of my racecar the past couple days. Anyone know the best way to remove the residue from the adhesive. I would like something fairly easy that I could prime over, Any ideas.

Thanks,

Erik Madsen
brant
try a few cans of spray brake cleaner.. and a bunch of rags to wipe it off before it dries...

worked pretty well for me.

(any pictures or details of the race car?)

brant
Brad Roberts
Erik,

Dont wipe in the same spot on the rag. You have to flip it over constantly. Spray.. wipe..flip..spray..wipe..flip.

Then grab another rag. The build up happens quickly on the rag and you will end up smearing it if you dont change rags or flip it to a clean spot.

B
Thorshammer
Thanks Brad,

Sorry to bug you at lunch, how was the Buritto, MMM my favorite.

Tried that method its okay. Here's what I am trying now:

Propane torch to get the majority of the goo onto a scraper, then a can of 3M general adhesive remover, I hear it's the nuts. Will know late tonight.

Erik.

It's not win ,Place or show it just plain WIN smilie_pokal.gif
Jeroen
Yep... what Brad saiz...
Use toilet paper, works like a charm

cheers,

Jeroen
Brad Roberts
Therein lies your biggest problem. DONT use the propane torch to remove the tar paper. It gets too hot. It turns the tar paper to GOO and makes a big fat mess. When I say heat gun.. I mean it. The heat gun doesnt get anywhere near as hot as the propane setup. I barely run over the entire area with the heat gun and use a puddy knife just in front of my heat source.

B
swood
Mines been peeling right off by itself. There is that residue though...
Thorshammer
Thanks Brad,

I did notice the paper got gooey when I overdid the heat with the torch, but mostly it all came up in big strips. The 3M adhesive remover worked like a charm with all of the adhesive coming off. After letting it sit for a few minutes just a light scraping to pile up the adhesive. And the floor was all clean, nice stuff. A little scuffing with a stiff brush some pre prep wipe down and I was able to paint the floor. I weighed the tar paper and I took almost 18 LBS off of the car. HMM!

Erik
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.