Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My coil on plug
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
904svo
First you build a protype, see if it will work!!

Click to view attachment

After you get it to work, you clean it up.

Click to view attachment

Add Ford coil packs.

Click to view attachment

You now have a type 4 with Coil on Plugs

drive-ability
av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif Show Off av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

really nice work and has a way cool factor
wertygrog
That's very impressive! Are you going to make a quick write-up of how you did it? smile.gif
904svo
QUOTE(wertygrog @ Mar 31 2009, 06:47 PM) *

That's very impressive! Are you going to make a quick write-up of how you did it? smile.gif

This version uses the standard distributor with the mechanical advance for timing.
The trick is to replace the rotor with a 4 window rotor and optical devices to let you know which coil pack to operate, with build in safeguard so the coils pack don't
burn up when the engine is not runing. The next version will be a multi-spark just
like MSD does with the 6A unit, now that I know how to do it.

charliew
Nice project. Very worthwhile. I think you meant a one window rotor with four optical sensors to fire the coils. A neat addition would be to get the advance to work off of a map sensor to work like a vaccum advance in addition to the mechanical advance. Or just mount it in a svda distributor.
SirAndy
thumb3d.gif
bam914
You need to get Jake to run it on the dyno. We are getting ready to test a crankfire system in a couple of weeks.
underthetire
QUOTE(charliew @ Apr 1 2009, 07:43 AM) *

Nice project. Very worthwhile. I think you meant a one window rotor with four optical sensors to fire the coils. A neat addition would be to get the advance to work off of a map sensor to work like a vaccum advance in addition to the mechanical advance. Or just mount it in a svda distributor.

Or, Ya, i know. Megasquirt2. Does it all.
904svo
QUOTE(underthetire @ Apr 1 2009, 05:07 PM) *

QUOTE(charliew @ Apr 1 2009, 07:43 AM) *

Or, Ya, i know. Megasquirt2. Does it all.

Doesn't Megasquirt use wasted spark?
jd74914
You can run multiple coils with Megasquirt2 and Microsquirt. We are running usquirt on a Honda CBR motor with COP. You need an external controller (like the Bosch ignitor used on 1.8T's etc), because the computers only have 2 ignition outputs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.