Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Temp range for summer tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
I was at Tire Rack looking at tires for my 914.

Spring mornings and evenings may around 40 - 45 degrees until early June, and start dipping down again as early as September. When what temps do summer compound tires start loosing their grip? Do I just want to get hi performance all seasons?

If I buy summer tires, am I going to loose too many driving days?

Zach
Sleepin
Are you going to put Summer or Winter air in them Zach? That is what it is dependent on.

Ok, ok...I am sorry....I wanted to use that joke for so long that it isn't even funny now. I run the Alzenis all year long, I would say once they heat up from the road they are fine, unless it is raining or snowy.
6freak
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 1 2009, 05:53 AM) *

I was at Tire Rack looking at tires for my 914.

Spring mornings and evenings may around 40 - 45 degrees until early June, and start dipping down again as early as September. When what temps do summer compound tires start loosing their grip? Do I just want to get hi performance all seasons?

If I buy summer tires, am I going to loose too many driving days?

Zach

good radials filled with nitrogen is what your look`n for
VaccaRabite
I wussed and decided to get Kumho Ecsta ASX, which are Ultra Hi Perf all seasons. I run them on my Subaru as well, and like them. Went with 205-55-15. I like the meaty tire look.

Zach
mudfoot76
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Apr 1 2009, 10:27 AM) *

I run the Alzenis all year long, I would say once they heat up from the road they are fine, unless it is raining or snowy.

If it is raining and cold, the Azenis don't hook up very well. I have them as track tires. Last year at Mid-Ohio, it was upper 40s-low 50s and lots of rain and very difficult to make those grip at all.
BMXerror
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 1 2009, 10:18 AM) *

I wussed and decided to get Kumho Ecsta ASX, which are Ultra Hi Perf all seasons. I run them on my Subaru as well, and like them. Went with 205-55-15. I like the meaty tire look.

Zach

I've been running these since I got my 914 running two years ago. Good tires. Fairly grippy in the dry, but I never had them in the wet, so I can't say. They've lasted me two autocross' (one with my bro co-driving) and two years of spirited canyon driving. I think they've got one more autocross in them. For the price, they're a pretty good tire. I'll be going to Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1s in a couple months for, hopefully, a little more grip.
Mark D.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.