Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bored tonight! Decided to put my 17" twisties on
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
SO I bought these Boxter S 17" wheels a while ago. I know the rears won't fit without flares. Figured I'd put the fronts on the back to see how they would look. I like it drooley.gif

Not sure if I like them more than my Fuchs though confused24.gif . Decisions decisions
RJMII
So where's the ***** PICTURES???
Jerry
I think the Fuchs look best on our vintage cars.....but, thats just me

and ......we need photos, please!!!!!!!!!
JRust
Sorry took a minute to get the pics. Forgot to resize them when I did my post originally. headbang.gif
RJMII
They look awesome!

You remember my address for where to send the Fuchs? poke.gif
RJMII
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 1 2009, 09:05 PM) *

Sorry took a minute to get the pics. Forgot to resize them when I did my post originally. headbang.gif

LOL I think most of us have done that at least once or twice.
slow914
JUST AN IDEA Try to put the rears on the front, lots more room up there

also, please lower the front biggrin.gif
biosurfer1
I like it a lot more than I thought I might...I didn't know you had an orange car too??
quadracerx
Looks COOL..... smilie_pokal.gif

What width are the Boxter Wheels? And years they were available?

Thanks...

Steve
dlo914
+1 kudos for the Boxster twisties...i think it'd fine on a narrow bodied 914. What are the specs on the twisties?
JRust
These came off an 01 Boxter S I think. The fronts are 17x7.5 while the rears are 17x8.5. No prayer of getting the rears on a narrow body. I'll either find another set of fronts or get gt Flares. I'm thinking it's time for the flares aktion035.gif Oh yeah you need spacers too. 1" spacers were perfect with the 205/50's on it. Tight fit with this slightly rolled rear.
dlo914
I just realized you've got a V8....yeah i agree time for flares gotta get some wide rubber down for all those horsies. thumb3d.gif driving.gif thumb3d.gif
Krieger
Those twists look good! I was never a fan of Fuchs with black centers.
SirAndy
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 1 2009, 07:57 PM) *

to see how they would look.

IMHO, the 914 looks better with more period correct wheels.

No matter how hard you try, it won't turn into a boxster over night ...
rolleyes.gif Andy
dkjens
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 1 2009, 09:43 PM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 1 2009, 07:57 PM) *

to see how they would look.

IMHO, the 914 looks better with more period correct wheels.

No matter how hard you try, it won't turn into a boxster over night ...
rolleyes.gif Andy

OMG, who'd ever want that he he. I do think more vintage looking wheels may be a better choice IMHO. Although my Ronals are only 15" I like them more and more, maybe enough to refurbish them some day he he.
dkjens
QUOTE(slow914 @ Apr 1 2009, 08:28 PM) *

JUST AN IDEA Try to put the rears on the front, lots more room up there

also, please lower the front biggrin.gif

I think the front looks high because it has been jacked up and sat down without settling. Need a little rolling to ge the front down he he.
jaxdream
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 1 2009, 07:36 PM) *

These came off an 01 Boxter S I think. The fronts are 17x7.5 while the rears are 17x8.5. No prayer of getting the rears on a narrow body. I'll either find another set of fronts or get gt Flares. I'm thinking it's time for the flares aktion035.gif Oh yeah you need spacers too. 1" spacers were perfect with the 205/50's on it. Tight fit with this slightly rolled rear.

Did you do the baseball bat roll?? Also did you do it before paint ??Just curious as I want to install Boxster 17X7 on the front and rear . Thanks for the pics.

Jaxdream
PanelBilly
Don't like them, but its not my car.
d914
my old car on twisties

Click to view attachment
benalishhero
Vn Thing. I've always wanted one of those.

As for the wheels. I like the rims from the era as well.

JRust
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Apr 2 2009, 06:03 AM) *

Did you do the baseball bat roll?? Also did you do it before paint ??Just curious as I want to install Boxster 17X7 on the front and rear . Thanks for the pics.

Jaxdream

I actually tried the 2x4 with a little molding & jacks. Someone posted on doing this & theirs turned out good. You have to heat the area to keep the paint from cracking. I unfortunately didn't heat it enough as I did get a few cracks. Sucks a bit but not a huge deal. Probably going to get GT flares anyway. Still other than the cracks it turned out well. Got 3/4 of an inch & it's hardly noticable.

As far as which wheels I'm not sure yet. I do like the Fuchs alot too. Those 17's really pop & I do like them. Not sure if I like them more than my 16" fuchs. They do look pretty sweet when clean & polished idea.gif
grantsfo
Only problem is that those Boxster wheels are boat anchors. Weigh too heavy for a teeaner unless you gots big power..
turboman808
I have those wheels on mine right now. Not very pretty but they work. At some point I want to get either lindsey racng wheels or CCW wheels.

IPB Image
MrKona
Sounds like we need a "5-lug wheel poll" if we haven't had one in the past. Personally, I prefer Fuchs; more period-correct for the 914.
Cupomeat
I find that a modern style wheel on the car, even if it is just a 16", ends up making a 914 look a lot like a study hall notebook drawing with way too much visual on the wheels.

1+ for the period correct, even in bigger sizes.

Then again, a 914 with flares is almost that sort of exaggerated look anyway and I bet it would grow on me...
Wilhelm
<-------------------------------I like em for some odd reason.
JRust
I put my Koni's with an adjustable perch on the back this morning. My ass end kind of sagged. Now I have it set higher. I may move it back down an inch or so. Depends on if I keep the 17's on it. Anyway this is a better picture of it. Gave my car a much needed bath & shined it up. Then went for a nice 2 hour drive up the Alsea biggrin.gif . Excellent day with the top off driving.gif
dw914er
The wheel are interesting, but not exactly my look. They just dont have that sort of offset (deep) look that the fuchs provide or the vintage style. But they do sure sit flush with the fender so its still cool. smile.gif

btw.. my favorite 5 lug is the gasburners smile.gif (if there becomes a poll)
retrotech
QUOTE(d914 @ Apr 2 2009, 08:35 AM) *

my old car on twisties

Click to view attachment

Hey Greg, where is our old 914? The chrome twisties were a bit much. But I am bored with the Vintage look Fuchs. Unless the car is bone stock, the right wheels give it a more agresive look. My preferance are the 993 Cup wheels. They are the lightest of the 17", but still heavy. Just add HP.

SD
charliew
I've always wondered how much air those wheels move over the brake area? Maybe only on one side?
d914
"Hey Greg, where is our old 914? The chrome twisties were a bit much. But I am bored with the Vintage look Fuchs. Unless the car is bone stock, the right wheels give it a more agresive look. My preferance are the 993 Cup wheels. They are the lightest of the 17", but still heavy. Just add HP"

The old blue car is in New jersey some place..Ive been trying to find it!~!
Dr. Roger
I absolutely LOVE those Turbo Twisties. =)

But a car needs to be modified to make it work right. Stock car needs the factory look, IMHO. (wow, i do have at least one molecule of purist in me...) LOL

BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Apr 2 2009, 02:21 PM) *

I have those wheels on mine right now. Not very pretty but they work. At some point I want to get either lindsey racng wheels or CCW wheels.

IPB Image

This looks great!! Are you going back with the blue paint??

Bob
JRust
I finally put them twisties on one side & the Fuchs on the other. I'm going Fuchs!

Anyone need a set of 17" twisties? I can bring them to WCR biggrin.gif
marks914
The wheels look right if the theme of the car can support them. My car has an updated theme to it, so I went with the Boxter S alloys. A full monochromatic paint scheme with painted rockers makes the bodysidel ook thicker, so larger wheels look right. I noticed this when I has 15s on.

Don't succomb to peer pressure

Mark

IPB Image

IPB Image
JRust
It's not so much peer pressure as what will work. I still like the look of the twists really. I think they look great on my car. For me to have a set of 4 that will fit I'd have to find another set of fronts. The rears are just to wide without flares. So it's more about what I have right now. My fuchs fit all around & look great too. I don't have enough twist that will fit to go all around. For know I'm better off just sticking with my fuchs. If I can sell the twists I probably will. If not I'll keep my eyes open for a pair of fronts to match.

They look very nice on your car Mark biggrin.gif
retrotech
Cup 2's in 7 & 8" will fit, with flattened lip.
Justinp71

+1 to leave the car with the fuchs... it looks good with outout the flares aswell... nice smooth body.
shelby/914
Classic cars should have classic wheels. In other words I really don't like them at all. But then again it is your car, make it ugly if you want to. Just looks like you are trying to make it into something it is not.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.