Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hauling open top car on open trailer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
So the Racecar/AX weapon should be ready for action once my fuel pump gets here. piratenanner.gif

I have a good open trailer to haul it around, but since it is an open top car just wondering if anyone made up a cover to keep the drivers area some what dry while hauling the car? Its a race car and I'm really not concerned about it getting wet, but I have a EvoII seat for my fat bootyshake.gif and it has a fabric cover that can't be removed (easily)and I know I will run in the rain so.... I am looking for ideas mainly to keep the cockpit dry during transport. If I had the extra $$ I would spring for an enclosed trailer but that is not in the budget this year. I was thinking of some sort of a tarp type slip cover????

Here is my racer 914 aka Moby wub.gif
ConeDodger
Garold,
I once started to tow my 914 to Marina with the top off. It seldom rains in the summer here so I was not worried about the interior getting wet. But, I noticed that the car was harder to tow. It messes with the aerodynamics having the top off. Much easier with it on.
Now, I should mention that Marina is 100+ miles away. If you aren't going to tow far it probably isn't such an issue.
sww914
Here in Ca it rains so seldom during race season that if it's raining on the way to the track you might as well stay home because they won't drive in it. I've had it rain on the way home, my seat was dry before i drove the car again a couple of months later. smile.gif
GaroldShaffer
Rob

There is no top for the race car (see picture above) biggrin.gif Its a chopped windshield frame, no rear window, old FP road racer that is coming back to life with a 3.0L /6 aktion035.gif driving.gif piratenanner.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(sww914 @ Apr 1 2009, 07:16 PM) *

Here in Ca it rains so seldom during race season that if it's raining on the way to the track you might as well stay home because they won't drive in it. I've had it rain on the way home, my seat was dry before i drove the car again a couple of months later. smile.gif

That's not the case here in good old NW Indiana the land of road salt & construction. I have at least 2 AX events a month this season (some months every weekend) so just looking for ideas. Current plan is not to be such a pu$$y and just bring a few towels and soak up ans much water as I can and let mother nature take care of the rest.
ConeDodger
Garold,
The coolest thing I can think of would be to install snaps and have a boat top shop make a Sunbrella top for it that would hold while being trailered. Might mean snaps every 6 inches instead of 12.
jaxdream
If the seat is your only concern , how about putting heavyduty trash bags over it and tie it down with bungies, that should keep it pretty dry. Just my $.02 .

Jaxdream
6freak
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Apr 1 2009, 08:03 PM) *

So the Racecar/AX weapon should be ready for action once my fuel pump gets here. piratenanner.gif

I have a good open trailer to haul it around, but since it is an open top car just wondering if anyone made up a cover to keep the drivers area some what dry while hauling the car? Its a race car and I'm really not concerned about it getting wet, but I have a EvoII seat for my fat bootyshake.gif and it has a fabric cover that can't be removed (easily)and I know I will run in the rain so.... I am looking for ideas mainly to keep the cockpit dry during transport. If I had the extra $$ I would spring for an enclosed trailer but that is not in the budget this year. I was thinking of some sort of a tarp type slip cover????

Here is my racer 914 aka Moby wub.gif

Someone makes a cover that just covers the cab of the 914 seen it bungees to the finders should work for that with the roll bars and all..I wish i knew who has them...If i remember right Mr Elliot had on at the WCR08
mudfoot76
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Apr 2 2009, 09:36 AM) *

If the seat is your only concern , how about putting heavyduty trash bags over it and tie it down with bungies, that should keep it pretty dry. Just my $.02 .

Jaxdream

agree.gif

Or get one of Perry's umbrella covers...

When are you bringing that downstate and running with us on a 'big' track? poke.gif
J P Stein
No cover...just go fer it. I do try to leave it home when it's gonna rain.
It's a race car not a CW queen.
carr914
Get a Perry Umbrella cover, then have Millie sew some snap-straps that would go around the roll.bar.

T.C.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 1 2009, 07:41 PM) *

Garold,
The coolest thing I can think of would be to install snaps and have a boat top shop make a Sunbrella top for it that would hold while being trailered. Might mean snaps every 6 inches instead of 12.

I found my answer. Going to do something like this.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.