Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.2L intake manifold orientation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smdubovsky
Im doing an EFI conversion (built 3.0 w/ microsquirt) w/ a 3.2L intake and run into a bit of a question. I bought a cheap 90deg elbow to fit on the TB and it doesn't clear the lid if left in the 'normal' intake tilted away from the fan orientation. I could probably shorten it about an inch, but I still fear a large cone filter will hit the trunk/lid. THouh I guess I could actually cut the elbow at a slight angle making it a little over 90deg and tilting the filter down.

Click to view attachment

If I flip the intake around, I think a filter will fit fine. I'll have to:
1) rebend the return spring arm up to get the TB to mount (you can see the holes don't quite line up) - no big deal
2) looks like the air bleed adj screw will be pretty difficult to adjust (it gets almost pressed against the shroud.)
3) I'd have to extend the pull linkage & angle a little also.
4) ???

Click to view attachment

I did a search (note: it seems impossible to search w/ the term '3.2'?) and about the only pic I could find is this one:

Click to view attachment

It looks like the stock elbow fits fine in the normal orientation. Should I just go w/ one of those and plug the holes in it that I dont need? How is a 3.2 conversion normally done? Though, Im guessing that MOST people w/ 3.2s kept the motronic and thus had to keep the stock elbow and AFM. Im not limited by that.

Has anyone ever flipped one around?

Thanks,
Stephen
SirAndy
On my 3.6L i just rotated the TB until everything fit. No need to flip the whole intake ...
shades.gif Andy

PS: Kinda hard to see in this pic but the air filter is on the drivers side and just barely fits into the space between the rear trunk and the intake.

SirAndy
Here it is removed. Btw., my "elbow" 90 deg. is from a 3.2L and the short extension after that is from a newer mustang ...

bye1.gif Andy
Chris Hamilton
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 1 2009, 09:49 PM) *

On my 3.6L i just rotated the TB until everything fit. No need to flip the whole intake ...
shades.gif Andy

It looks like on his manifold the passengers side part and the throttle body are all one casting, so it might be more challenging to rotate.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Apr 1 2009, 09:57 PM) *

It looks like on his manifold the passengers side part and the throttle body are all one casting, so it might be more challenging to rotate.

Mhmmm ... idea.gif

Time to get a 3.6L upper intake!
biggrin.gif Andy
736conver
I kept the stock elbow but put an extension on for clearance.

Click to view attachment
smdubovsky
Andy, the TB flange on the 3.2 manifolds is cast as part of one of the halves. Its not easy to swap a 3.6 manifold onto an earlier car either (2 bolt vs 3 bolt heads you know.)

736conver, like I mentioned Im not going to be using the AFM. Can you estimate how much clearance you have from the top edge of your elbow to the decklid?

Looking like I should pony up for the stock elbow and start searching for a long small diameter filter like Andys or even one of those oval ones to see how much extra clearance I'll have to have. Could've sworn I've seen a pic of a flipped manifold before though...
tomeric914
Slight thread revival...

So what have others done to get their 3.2 manifold to fit? I have a similar dilemma to the OP.

I suppose I could lower the engine by 3/4" or so, but that means all the nice new seals and tin won't fit worth a darn.

Maybe one of those cobra head 90 degree elbows would do the trick?

Click to view attachment
MoveQik
Mine and several others fit no problem....Hmmmm
tomeric914
I'm using a 3.2 manifold on a '79 3.0 with the big ports if that makes a difference.

Did you use the factory plastic spacers between the heads and manifold?

Also, using the Rich Johnson engine mount which is correctly located. All of the engine sheet metal lines up.
ChrisFoley
Fits fine like this.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
patrick3000
And one more:

IPB Image
JmuRiz
Show offs!
mepstein
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jan 30 2012, 12:56 PM) *

Fits fine like this.

Love the steel top!
jim912928
My orientation with stock airbox:
1:
Click to view attachment

2:
Click to view attachment
tomeric914
tomeric914
As an update, I have reversed my manifold and have done a few things:

1. Repurposed the heater fan motor bracket to hold the fuel filter vertically behind the manifold. There is now a metric to AN tee off the bottom of that filter that feeds both fuel manifolds.

Click to view attachment

2. I had to drill my nice powder coated tin to run the cable up through, but it was worth it. This is a 6" longer than stock cable from Terry Cable. The cable is mounted to the old cruise control throttle bracket with a small square to round adapter. I just needed to make a new throttle bracket to connect the cable up.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Steve
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jan 30 2012, 10:56 AM) *

It looks like you flipped the intake manifold. Did you run into any problems doing that?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.