Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: repairing the interior light
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
If your interior light between the seats has cracked in half try this easy repair. Look closely at the pic and you will notice 2 galvanized finish nails running sideways; 1 on top & 1 on the bottom. They required a slight bend to fit in the "trough" or concaved indention that runs the perimeter, then filled the recessed trough w/ enough clear epoxy cement (I used T-88) to immerse the nail. Although I glued the 2 pieces together at the break, I figured that a butt joint alone would be too weak so the nails were used as mini-rebars to spread the load. Works great and cost less than a buck! If I remember correctly I removed the bulb and used a rubber band around the ends to hold together until dried. Click to view attachment
So.Cal.914
smile.gif
bperry
I believe that this is the same part for about $5 more.

Interior Light Assembly from CIP

--- bill
dbgriffith75
QUOTE(bperry @ Apr 2 2009, 01:36 PM) *

--- bill

Yeah that looks like the same light, but the plus side of being able to repair your current one is first, you save $5, which can be used to purchase any delicious regular footlong from Subway icon8.gif and you're keeping your car original.

I am curious 76-914er how well did the finish nails fit into the troughs? Was it tight/loose? I'm just wondering because for those of us at home that happen to have air nailers, the pins from a clip of finishing brads might make a good alternative and be even less noticeable than those finish nails you used.
76-914
They fit down far enough as to not protrude. I think any piece of metal that won't corrode and has a rough surface will be fine. Think of it as a piece of rebar in concrete or the fiberglass thread in the resin.
roadster fan
QUOTE(bperry @ Apr 2 2009, 10:36 AM) *

--- bill

I have heard they are not exactly the same, and they pop out of the opening sometimes. No experience myself, just what I have heard.

Jim
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(roadster fan @ Apr 3 2009, 02:03 AM) *

QUOTE(bperry @ Apr 2 2009, 10:36 AM) *

--- bill

I have heard they are not exactly the same, and they pop out of the opening sometimes. No experience myself, just what I have heard.

Jim

You heard right. I have that unit in my car, and it does not like to stay in its hole.
Zach
gopack
Are we supposed to have an interior light?
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(gopack @ Apr 3 2009, 09:52 AM) *

Only if you still have your stock backpad.

If you removed that for whatever reason, then you also removed the housing for the interior light.

Zach
76-914
QUOTE(gopack @ Apr 3 2009, 07:52 AM) *

Who knows? The only reason mine got repaired is because it is part of the process to get this car running. I am trying to reconnect all the cut wires I have found, thus far. This harness (5 wire) was cut because the switch that contacts the door was jammed! At one point, I think this car was cared for by an extremely challenged individual.
r_towle
QUOTE(gopack @ Apr 3 2009, 10:52 AM) *

yup, and its supposed to work when you open the door.
There is also a light in the engine bay...lol

Rich
gopack
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 3 2009, 09:39 PM) *

QUOTE(gopack @ Apr 3 2009, 10:52 AM) *

yup, and its supposed to work when you open the door.
There is also a light in the engine bay...lol

Rich

Really? where is that supposed to be?
r_towle
interior light is in the back pad, shoulder height.
Engine bay light is tucked next to the deck lid latch...just on the drivers side...the body of the light is in the trunk..the lense faces the motor..gotta bend way over to see it even exists.

rich
mojorisen914
So, if you never had a backpad or light when you bought your car and you have since installed a backpad and light but need to run the wires for the light; where/what circuit would you tie in your wires for the light???
I'm thinking a constant hot wire, especially if I'm not going to use the door switch. What's everyone's thoughts on that?
76-914
QUOTE(mojorisen914 @ Apr 3 2009, 08:21 PM) *

So, if you never had a backpad or light when you bought your car and you have since installed a backpad and light but need to run the wires for the light; where/what circuit would you tie in your wires for the light???
I'm thinking a constant hot wire, especially if I'm not going to use the door switch. What's everyone's thoughts on that?

I can't speak to your model, but mine is a 76 and the wires that go to the lamp all come from under the tray between the seats(2 screws to remove) then there should be a branch off from this main wiring loom, which has these wire's. This branch is very close to the point where the back pad hits the tunnel. There is another one (2wire w/ white Molex connector)that is a few inches closer towards the front but I suspect that one is part of the seatbelt circuit. (Don't know yet. That is another cut wire I need to restore)
Dr Evil
Also, Cip1 will not sell shit to you unless you order $25 or more dry.gif
Cheapsnake
Thanks for the fix, I love stuff like this!

Tom
DBCooper
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 3 2009, 08:20 PM) *

Also, Cip1 will not sell shit to you unless you order $25 or more dry.gif

Huh. So where do you buy your smaller shits?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.