Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wtf: my rear trunk won't open?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jcambo7
So I closed my rear hood yesterday n than today I go to open it n the damn thing is stuck. WTF.gif Wont open at all. WTF.gif How do I open it now? The key won't work at all. Please help dont know what to do?
pktzygt
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Apr 2 2009, 03:16 AM) *

So I closed my rear hood yesterday n than today I go to open it n the damn thing is stuck. WTF.gif Wont open at all. WTF.gif How do I open it now? The key won't work at all. Please help dont know what to do?

HAHA.... Sorry, it wasn't funny when it happened to me. It kinda is when it happens to someone else. It's a pain to get open too. I'm gonna find the instructions I used for ya. I think they were in Auto Atlanta's 914 Tech Tip book.

I'll get right back to you with them.
pktzygt
Read this post and try that SirAndy says. It took me a bit more than 10minutes. But I'm a rookie. I would also try just pushing down on the trunk while pushing the lock button. Try lightly pulling up on it too.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=39944&hl=

P.S. I didn't catch it the first time I read it, but most call it the rear trunk. I figured it out when I saw that you said the key wouldn't work either. I have gotten locked out of my 914 doors and the engine compartment too. So if any of those happen to you, let me know. I've never locked myself out of any other car before.

Once you get it open, I recommend that you check that the key matches all the other locks. Grease all the locks and hinges on the doors and trunks. Auto Atlanta's Tech Tips book is full tips like these.
SUNAB914
If you haven't gotten it yet, try this simple solution before preceding to the hard one. Put a block of wood on the lock and hit it with a hammer, not hard enough to damage it but a good slap. Have someone else pull up at the same time. This may work.
Good luck
SUNAB914
oh, by the way make sure you didn't accidently lock it before trying the above.
rick 918-S
The tail light panel is not supported by much in the lock area. I wouldn't force it. Follow the instructions posted. Once you get it open figure out why is was stuck.

EDIT, forget the above. It looks like those instructions are for a car with a reflector not a factory lock.

1) remove the engine lid for easier access.

2) climb into the engine compartment with tools, good drop light and about 5-6' of extensions.

3) Remove the bolts securing the rear lid hingesfrom the rear lid.

4) Lift the lid, Insert your drop light.

5) with about 5-6' of extensions reach back into the latch and remove the two bolts securing the latch.

6) remove the lid.

Caution: Some people may want to only pull one bolt from each hinge as they are spring loaded and will hurt you if your not careful.

Option Two:

1) As your sitting on the engine, remove the hinge bolt closest to you.

2) loosen but do not remove the second bolt.

3) lift the lid and remove the trunk lid to engine seal to give yourself more room. (optional)

4) lift the lid slightly, and repete steps 4 and 5 in option 1.
jcambo7
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 2 2009, 08:07 AM) *

The tail light panel is not supported by much in the lock area. I wouldn't force it. Follow the instructions posted. Once you get it open figure out why is was stuck.

EDIT, forget the above. It looks like those instructions are for a car with a reflector not a factory lock.

2) climb into the engine compartment with tools, good drop light and about 5-6' of extensions.

5) with about 5-6' of extensions reach back into the latch and remove the two bolts securing the latch.

6) remove the lid.

Caution: Some people may want to only pull one bolt from each hinge as they are spring loaded and will hurt you if your not careful.

Option Two:

3) lift the lid and remove the trunk lid to engine seal to give yourself more room. (optional)

Thanks all for the advice. I think I will try the one above. Hitting a block of wood with hammer is something I dont want to do. It's not a push button so i don't believe that would work and plus. I dont want anymore dents in my car. I all ready got enough dents to fix.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Apr 2 2009, 05:41 AM) *

6) remove the lid.

Option Two:

It's not a push button so i don't believe that would work

Actually.... it is a push button. unsure.gif Did you try to push it in? shades.gif Try pushing the button, then if that doesn't work turn the key and push it again.
Jeffs9146
It's not a push button???
confused24.gif

Does it have a solonoid release?? You said the key doesnt work?? blink.gif

More detail please!

jcambo7
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Apr 2 2009, 12:46 PM) *

It's not a push button???
confused24.gif

Does it have a solonoid release?? You said the key doesnt work?? blink.gif

More detail please!

No it doessn't have a solenoid release. Where u insert the key to unlock the hood it doesn't push in. It's pretty much flush with the car.. Sticks out a little but not much. Maybe I am wrong n it could be that it requires a diff key. I don't think I have a diff key though. headbang.gif
jcambo7
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 2 2009, 10:57 AM) *

QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Apr 2 2009, 05:41 AM) *

6) remove the lid.

Option Two:

It's not a push button so i don't believe that would work

Actually.... it is a push button. unsure.gif Did you try to push it in? shades.gif Try pushing the button, then if that doesn't work turn the key and push it again.

Well I guess I will go n try. I might be wrong. back in 10 min.
jcambo7
Well I tried to push it in without the key and with it in the two different pos. and nothing happened. It didn't push in or anything. Even tried an extra key that I found in the driver side door compartment. It didnt work either. Trying to upload a pic I took of the lock from my phone right now. Hopefully it will help.
jcambo7
Well here is the pic of my rear hood lock.
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Apr 2 2009, 11:16 AM) *

Well here is the pic of my rear hood lock.

The lock is stuck ...

The center part is supposed to come out further and you can push the center to unlock the car.
bye1.gif Andy
charliew
Are the tail lights out? Be careful it's real easy to push some dents in the trunk lid but you need to try and compress the rubber seal a little to relieve the tension on the lock. My car came with the reflector and the electric release and the first time it was hard to get open I made a temporary manual release out of a piece of welding rod that sticks through a hole in the floor of the trunk. I bought a manual cable release but I won't put it in till I redo the car. You might try some wd40 around the cylinder if it is stuck.
SirAndy
Oh, i forgot, you can only turn the lock with the key if the center part is all the way out.

Spray it with some lithium grease. Inside the lock and around. Then try to pull out the center further with some channel locks ...

smash.gif Andy
jcambo7
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 2 2009, 01:30 PM) *

Oh, i forgot, you can only turn the lock with the key if the center part is all the way out.

Spray it with some lithium grease. Inside the lock and around. Then try to pull out the center further with some channel locks ...

smash.gif Andy

Thanks all for the help. All I had was some WD40 so used that and was able to get it to come out. After that I was able to get the hood open. piratenanner.gif Oh, and funny thing is is that it turned with it pushed in blink.gif is that a bad thing cuz I dont know. I was able to turn it with the key in and I could take the key out at the vertical position or horizontal position? Maybe u know y Andy. confused24.gif
Jeffs9146
Thanks all for the help.

Detailed information is all we need! Someone here will have the answers if you ask the questions with enough detail! piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

PS: They all turn if they are pushed in but they don't do anything!
dlo914
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Apr 2 2009, 11:58 AM) *

smash.gif Andy

Thanks all for the help. All I had was some WD40 so used that and was able to get it to come out. After that I was able to get the hood open. piratenanner.gif Oh, and funny thing is is that it turned with it pushed in blink.gif is that a bad thing cuz I dont know. I was able to turn it with the key in and I could take the key out at the vertical position or horizontal position? Maybe u know y Andy. confused24.gif

And once again it's the rear trunk. wacko.gif
jcambo7
QUOTE(dlo914 @ Apr 2 2009, 07:35 PM) *

QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Apr 2 2009, 11:58 AM) *

smash.gif Andy

And once again it's the rear trunk. wacko.gif

Doh blink.gif slap.gif I will get used to that eventually.
porschecb
Pb Blaster is the new Wd40? beer3.gif beerchug.gif beer.gif dry.gif aktion035.gif idea.gif huh.gif grouphug.gif slap.gif smilie_pokal.gif unsure.gif w00t.gif
jcambo7
QUOTE(porschecb @ Apr 2 2009, 11:48 PM) *

Pb Blaster is the new Wd40? beer3.gif beerchug.gif beer.gif dry.gif aktion035.gif idea.gif huh.gif grouphug.gif slap.gif smilie_pokal.gif unsure.gif w00t.gif

Well that's all I had on me so I guess so. biggrin.gif At least it worked right?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.