Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Choose one MOMO from these two!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gothspeed
I am torn by these two wheels ........

I love the Prototipo (1st pic) but the bottom spoke is not padded and in the event of quick steering, it can whack your fingers.

I also love the Tuner (2nd Pic) because when I had my creamsicle way back when, it had a Tuner wheel and Scheel seats already in the car and it was awesome!!!

Which would you choose for the 914 GT project?

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
So.Cal.914
If it is a replica I think the Tuner would look nice.
Lavanaut
Voted Tuner despite the fact that I had and generally liked a Prototipo, because when you get past looks the Tuner's going to be allow you far better control over the car, not to mention the exposed metal as you mentioned.

You've got good taste in wheels by the way. Consider a Dyno Dino? I got a nice older one and really prefer it over the momos I've had.
yeahmag
I think I have the Tuner - not sure as it came with the car, but it looks just like that. My problem with it is that it's actually too small for my taste.

Voted for the Prototipo.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Apr 2 2009, 11:37 AM) *

Voted Tuner despite the fact that I had and generally liked a Prototipo, because when you get past looks the Tuner's going to be allow you far better control over the car, not to mention the exposed metal as you mentioned.

agree.gif

My car came with the Prototypo and i loved it but the leather was cracking. So i went with the Tuner and i love it too ...
bye1.gif Andy

Old pic, the car has since been cleaned up a bit biggrin.gif
gothspeed
^^ What does the Dyno look like?

I like the period looks and history of the Prototipo but I see looks and functionality in the Tuner ..............
charliew
Dino, I got a nice newer dino, it has a fake carbon fiber horn surround with a nice spoke cover but no finger grooves, but the six screws are larger than the normal size used on the momo's If I decide to ever use it I will need the retap the momo hole pattern, I think, to take the dino screw size. Also this can be a real can of worms when you start dealing with the adapters. Some wheels have a hole straight up and others have two holes even straight up. There are only so many adapters available so to get the wheel spaced up and the right bolt pattern and to keep the horn canceller positioned right it can take some real time to get it right. there are spacers and momo to nardi adapters and nardi to momo and grant to momo adapters available for it but it will really run the price up on the final outcome. If the wheel is too close to the turn signal you will not like it. I found a nice leather nardi with finger grooves and a snap on fake leather rubber spoke cover that I like for my 914. It uses a adapter that Lavanaut sold me. I got it on ebay, it's maybe the cheapest one I've gotten, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=180326713171 I used a porsche horn button that came on a fittapaldi that I already had.

I was a little worried about the location but It came eventually.
Lavanaut
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Apr 2 2009, 11:41 AM) *

^^ What does the Dyno look like?

Here's mine

Click to view attachment
gothspeed
Thanks for the pics guys smile.gif! ............. the voting is surprisingly close ............. I thought most everyone here were die-hard Prototipo fans ohmy.gif ............. I am still leaning Tuner, but it is a very small lean .............. mellow.gif
turboman808
If it's got to between those 2 and it's for a 914gt then it has to be the prototipo. Other one doesn't look like it belongs on a 914 at all.

You can always go with the monte carlo. THats what I have now but I plan to switch to a prototipo at some point just because it's seems to be the one that goes in the car.
jt914-6
I use the prototipo and like it. Also have a quick release on it too. Really helps getting in and out of the car with a cage and door bars.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Todd Enlund
The Prototipo has a more classic look, but the Tuner looks more comfortable and controllable. I voted Tuner.

I have a Momo Club 4 for my "Modernized GT Look".
Click to view attachment
charliew
That momo club 4 looks almost exactly like the dino with the carbon fiber horn surround I was talking about. The thing is those are flat in design and it's hard to get enough space between the wheel and the turn signal and washer levers.
VaccaRabite
My Dino.
IPB Image

Lavanut, I NEED to find out where you got the Dino horn button. I hate the Porsche crest button.

I'm almost ready to get one of the Hello Kitty buttons, just to keep folks from stealing my wheel.

Oh, of the two options, I voted Proto. But I prefer my Dino.

Zach
BMXerror
Voted for the Prototypo! I don't dig the thumb cutouts as an autocrosser. If I did road racing it'd be a different story. Voting is 50/50. Doesn't get much closer than that!
Mark D.
SirAndy
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Apr 2 2009, 02:57 PM) *

I don't dig the thumb cutouts as an autocrosser.

They work great for AX ...
confused24.gif Andy
helios
Take a look at Sparco's Lap5 as well. I've got the Lap3 (330mm vs. 350mm) in my Jetta. Very comfy, very grippy wheel. They do have large thumb shelves, but I find them very comfortable and actually prefer them.

I did notice on Pelican Parts last night that they also have the Prototipo in silver w/ black leather in addition to all black. Very tempting.
elmonte
Mine

Click to view attachment
johnnie5
I voted for the Tuner. I actually prefer the Monte Carlo though. It is a little more simple and cleaner than the Tuner... w/o the raised horn area, IMO.
TC 914-8
I voted Tuner, it has a much smoother look. I don't know what I have, it may be close to the same but it has a rubber cover over the center section and spokes.
Click to view attachment
kkid
I like Prototipo because I can turn the wheel with my fingers in the holes.

piratenanner.gif Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
gothspeed
As helios mentioned earlier these wheels also come with silver spokes. the prototipo above and here is the tuner. Personally I like the all black look ...... cool.gif

Click to view attachment

This is great ............. the poll is really close ohmy.gif
BKLA
My 34 year old Racemark purchased in 1975 for my '73 teener.

I like the prototipo - classic look!

Click to view attachment

I kept the wheel and hub - been in the family longer than my kids! smile.gif
gothspeed
QUOTE(BKLA @ Apr 3 2009, 11:03 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Very nice smile.gif!!

I can't believe it is still neck and neck ............... biggrin.gif
oldschool
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Apr 4 2009, 12:34 AM) *

QUOTE(BKLA @ Apr 3 2009, 11:03 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Very nice smile.gif!!

I can't believe it is still neck and neck ............... biggrin.gif
I get

where can get a hub/adapter for my victor wheel?
Lavanaut
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 2 2009, 02:52 PM) *

Lavanut, I NEED to find out where you got the Dino horn button. I hate the Porsche crest button.

Too funny Zach, if you read this. Wanna trade? Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

hijacked.gif ...sorry!

Reid
charliew
Be careful I got a porsche button for my sons wheel on ebay and it is really cheap looking, almost toy like.
Slider
if you are going for a classic look do the prototipo. if you are going for a more modern look then do the tuner. I really like the MOMO's ive had in my cars. although i would agree that the DINO's are real nice and underrated by most i have a DINO shift knob and its really nice..
gothspeed
QUOTE(Slider @ Apr 7 2009, 08:09 AM) *

if you are going for a classic look do the prototipo. if you are going for a more modern look then do the tuner. I really like the MOMO's ive had in my cars. although i would agree that the DINO's are real nice and underrated by most i have a DINO shift knob and its really nice..

Looks like the tuner is winning by a hair ............. I agree the prototipo has that timeless 60's 70's rally car look ....... it would look great with my new classic aluminum ball shift knob I just installed too ohmy.gif!!! But and that is a big but ............................ I still cannot get over that unpadded bottom spoke sad.gif .......... another negative is it reminds me of the types of steering wheel one would see on the AC Cobra ....... not that it is a total bad thing ...... but that seems too classic.

I will be making my decision in the next couple weeks ............ and the Tuner still has a timeless look in its own rite ................... cool.gif

Here is a pic of an interior I like minus the 911 dashpad and roll bar. smile.gif

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.