Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: 914 Event Etiquette
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dbgriffith75
So I've been wanting to attend a 914 event since pretty much the time I signed up for the boards and found out they were going on. I'm not partial to any specific car show I just like going to them, and it would really be nice to be able to see some of your teeners in person. Problem is, so far the closest event I've seen is the upcoming Mid Engine Invasion-- wait, no, the one in Colorado, that'd be the closest one to me-- either way, obviously it's a road trip for me to get to one.

So I'm just curious about a couple of things- first of all, when is the next 914 Event after the Mid Engine Invasion and where? I'd really like to go to the Invasion, but I just can't make it.

Second, would it be wrong, if say, a guy wanted to bring a teener with the intentions of selling some parts? I only ask because, since I couldn't finish my own resto, I've been parting it out to recover my expenses. It's not that I'd only go to an event just to sell parts- I am genuinely interested in going to one to have fun and meet some of you guys from the boards and do whatever the heck it is you guys do at an event. But if I have a cars worth of spare parts, and there's guys there interested in those parts, it can't hurt right? Plus said buyers would be saving on shipping costs. biggrin.gif Also, we'd be saving some teener parts from an almost certain death in the scrap yard.

Just wanted to poke.gif around and see what you guys had to say about this. I doubt if I'd make a gathering on one of the coasts, but if there's some closer to the midwest in the up and coming months I'd really like to start planning to go.

Thanks!

ConeDodger
Speaking only for the WCR I would say there is no apparent etiquette. Lots of parts swapping going on. Saw bumpers backdated in the parking lot using a welder powered by a portable generator from an RV... No wife swapping but hey, you have to ask yourself, if they let Eric Shea attend these things what isn't allowed?
rick 918-S
Actually, a big part of the Hershey event IS the swap meet on Saturday.

I can't speak for everyone but I haven't ever seen anyone tell anyone else they were prohibited from doing whatever they felt like doing. And some of it wasn't legal. unsure.gif lol-2.gif Do a search for "the Blue Meeny" or what ever that was. Some of the funniest stuff I ever read and nearly witnessed. lol-2.gif
VaccaRabite
Indeed. If you come to Hershey with the car, you have a good chance of leaving with money instead of the car. It is the PCA Hershey Swap Meet, we are just using the larger event as a spot for a get together.

I'm bringing parts to sell. Tons of other folks will be too.

For other events (like the East Coast Cookout), it depends on what the host wants. Usually, the rule is don't bring any more parts then what would fit in a 914. But that rule is very loose, and often ignored all together.

Zach
SirAndy
The rules for our events are pretty simple:

- No alcohol or other recreational drugs.

- You can only attend if you have a running 914.

- Strict dress code enforcement! No casual attire allowed.

- Noise limit is 64 dB at all times.

- No rolling around on the lawn or kicking the tops off the sprinklers at 2am!

w00t.gif Andy
PeeGreen 914
idea.gif Seems a little backwards poke.gif happy11.gif aktion035.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 2 2009, 04:58 PM) *

w00t.gif Andy

And those are just the hippy left coast rules.

when you come to a proper East Coast event we prefer that you be wearing Dinner Formal. And 914s aren't allowed. Proper Porsches only. If it your Porsche is more then 5 years old, we require it to be either a stock, immaculate 911 or 356. Our bouncers will stop you from the club house if you roll in with any of the lesser "Porsches".
smoke.gif

Zach
r_towle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 2 2009, 05:58 PM) *

w00t.gif Andy

I think Andy may have copied that from a 911 board...
I will edit it for him.

What we dont know wont bother us.
Alcohol is part of that statement
I will say...dont think we wont try to take your keys if your hammered. Cause we care.
None of us have perfect 914's...many attend without a 914
We could give a rats ass what you dress like
Noise limit is so loud you would need ear plugs
The last one is an inside joke..but sets the stage.

Rich
JoeSharp
Why would you pay any attention to any of these guys????
ejm
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Apr 2 2009, 07:02 PM) *

Why would you pay any attention to any of these guys????

agree.gif Only one rule... new guy brings the beer beer.gif
Sleepin
There is a rule for the Colorado/Utah/Arizona events....new guy to the first event has to be "that guy" .....doing something exceptionally stupid while totally intoxicated is expected.

Selling 914 parts is less accepted than "donating" 914 parts....but accepted nonetheless. Most everyone will agree...the events have very little to do with the cars, and more to do with the people.
dbgriffith75
Note: I'm trying to quote everybody with this reply....if you feel left out, please say so, and I will respond accordingly. biggrin.gif

COUNT....ME......IIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!! aktion035.gif

Sounds like just my kind of gathering. Strict dress code, but no penalties for getting drunk beyond black out. I can pimp it in a pair of khaki's with a Tommy Pullmyfinger polo and Armani loafers. shades.gif And I have absolutely no issues being "that guy." drunk.gif

But cereal, I just didn't want to go to an event with everybody thinking I just showed up to pawn off my cheap, rusted, worthless old.... I mean good to excellent condition used parts. biggrin.gif I've had a lot of laughs with you guys over the boards; and a lot of you helped me to no end when I was working on my resto so it would just be nice to meet and hang out with you sometime.

Thanks for the replies. I'll start putting some money back now and see when my next opportunity arises.

Peesh. beerchug.gif

P.S. I can handle bringing a keg or two with me.... biggrin.gif
mojorisen914
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
dflesburg
Good Grief, more wine and cheeze.

Come to ohio, park by me and we can sit around in Metallica tee shirts and whine about not being respected and eat cheetos out of the bag...

OVR is hosting a big event this year the same time as Parade at the US Air Force Museum in Dayton Ohio. Oct 1-4

http://escape.ovrpca.org/

There is also P2O near here in July.

http://porsches2oxford.com/

dbgriffith75
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Apr 3 2009, 10:18 AM) *

Good Grief, more wine and cheeze.

Come to ohio, park by me and we can sit around in Metallica tee shirts and whine about not being respected and eat cheetos out of the bag...

OVR is hosting a big event this year the same time as Parade at the US Air Force Museum in Dayton Ohio. Oct 1-4

http://escape.ovrpca.org/

There is also P2O near here in July.

http://porsches2oxford.com/

Cheetos... out of the bag?

O........M.........G! Somebody ar15.gif he's one of them!

biggrin.gif
messix
cars get "detailed" during the night by bare breasted and bare hiney fairyies.

oh and there is usaully a mid-night yoga class going on in the parking lot. lol-2.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(messix @ Apr 3 2009, 12:12 PM) *

oh and there is usually a mid-night yoga class going on in the parking lot. lol-2.gif

We kid you not ... w00t.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dbgriffith75
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 3 2009, 05:30 PM) *

QUOTE(messix @ Apr 3 2009, 12:12 PM) *

oh and there is usually a mid-night yoga class going on in the parking lot. lol-2.gif

We kid you not ... w00t.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

N-I-C-E!

I wonder what else they'd be willing to press their chests up against.... dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.