Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: special rear shock bolts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
megfourfun
I was just looking through the classifieds and checked out an ad for front/rear sway bars, and noticed this reply:

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 22 2009, 07:20 AM) *

I am not interested in the sway bars but an interested buyer would probably want to know if the rear sway bar includes the special rear shock bolts.

Bruce

Can someone elaborate on these "special rear shock bolts"? Maybe some pics or a link would be nice smile.gif

Thanks,

James
SirAndy
QUOTE(megfourfun @ Apr 2 2009, 03:12 PM) *

Can someone elaborate on these "special rear shock bolts"?

Normal lower shock bolts have a flat end.

In order to mount a stock rear swaybar, you need shock bolts that have a ball machined to them.
The sway bar droplinks have a cup that slides over the ball.
bye1.gif Andy

In the pic, the rear droplinks are disconnected, you can see the ball on the lower shock bolt.
megfourfun
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 2 2009, 02:17 PM) *

QUOTE(megfourfun @ Apr 2 2009, 03:12 PM) *

Can someone elaborate on these "special rear shock bolts"?

Normal lower shock bolts have a flat end.

In order to mount a stock rear swaybar, you need shock bolts that have a ball machined to them.
The sway bar droplinks have a cup that slides over the ball.
bye1.gif Andy

In the pic, the rear droplinks are disconnected, you can see the ball on the lower shock bolt.

ah! that makes sense biggrin.gif
thank you.
Chris Hamilton
The weltmeister kit uses a special bolt with a threaded end so you can screw on the endlink.

If you do get a rear swaybar and replace that bolt make sure you tighten it when the car is on the ground or you'll put unnecessary load on the shock.
warrenoliver
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Apr 2 2009, 11:19 PM) *

The weltmeister kit uses a special bolt with a threaded end so you can screw on the endlink.

If you do get a rear swaybar and replace that bolt make sure you tighten it when the car is on the ground or you'll put unnecessary load on the shock.

I just changed the springs on my shocks today. I tightened the bolts up while the rear was in the air. Do I need to loosen them and retighten with the wheels on the ground? I don't understand how it would make a difference.

Warrenoliver
Chris Hamilton
I would recommend loosening them and tightening them on the ground. That pivot is FAR from frictionless, and so when you set the car on the ground with those tightened you are trying to bend the shock with the weight of the car as the trailing arm rises into position.

If you'd like to test this, try bolting a shock to a trailing arm that isn't in the car, and then try pivoting it while that bolt is tightened. You'll need to use an whole lot more force than you'd ever like to get it to budge at all.

This is why the tops of the shocks go into rubber dealies, the normal travel of suspension is not going to put a huge amount of load on the shock as the angle changes, but the difference between normal ride height and full droop is significant.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Apr 3 2009, 11:19 PM) *

the normal travel of suspension is not going to put a huge amount of load on the shock as the angle changes, but the difference between normal ride height and full droop is significant.

agree.gif
rudedude
Would it free up the suspension if you drilled and cotter pinned a castellated nut so it would have more freedom to move or would it not make any difference? Just wondering if anyone has ever tried .
charliew
I have a 75 that came with a aftermarket rear awaybar that has some cheezy little 1/2 of a square tube pieces that fasten to the ends of the original shock bolts and the other half that fastens to the end links that allow the swaybar to hook to the shock bolts. The swaybar is even thinner than the factory rear one.
SirAndy
QUOTE(rudedude @ Apr 4 2009, 10:37 AM) *

Would it free up the suspension if you drilled and cotter pinned a castellated nut so it would have more freedom to move or would it not make any difference? Just wondering if anyone has ever tried .

The lower shock mount has a rubber bushing (At least on my shocks) which is supposed to allow for some movement, but like Chris said, it takes a lot of force to rotate that shock.

It's easier to just loosen and re-tighten the bolt with the car on the ground. No special hardware needed ...
shades.gif Andy
gothspeed
I bought these bars and can't wait to get them smile.gif!!

BTW does anyone know how to expand all the posts?? I hate having to click on every post just to read them.
MrKona
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Apr 4 2009, 08:38 PM) *

I bought these bars and can't wait to get them smile.gif!!

BTW does anyone know how to expand all the posts?? I hate having to click on every post just to read them.

Go to the top right of the first post on the page to the "Options" pull down. I think you want "standard" view.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.