Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifting issue...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bmtrnavsky
Ok, I have a problem and I am not sure what the issue is. I was driving and everything was just fine when I downshifted from 3rd to 2nd and let the clutch out and there was nothing. I can freely shift the car without pressing the clutch at all. I can feel the gears changing, so it does not seem to be a shift linkage issue. When I press the clutch it feels dead like there is nothing there and the clutch is disengaged.

Any ideas thoughts or suggestions?
SirAndy
Clutch tube broke lose. Do a search here, common problem ...

You'll need a welder!
welder.gif Andy

Wait, did you say disengaged? As in, the motor turns, but the wheels don't? idea.gif
bmtrnavsky
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 2 2009, 08:50 PM) *

Clutch tube broke lose. Do a search here, common problem ...

You'll need a welder!
welder.gif Andy

Wait, did you say disengaged? As in, the motor turns, but the wheels don't? idea.gif

yes... I can shift, but nothing happens. the clutch pedal feels dead no pressure besides the pedal spring.

with the engine running I can run it through all 5 gears.

When it broke it didn't make a noise or anything and it still shifts smoothly, but it feels like the clutch is not engaging. You can pit it in first, rev the engine and there is nothing.
Chris Hamilton
The only thing I can think of that wouldn't make terrible noises is that you could have extended the pressure plate over center. I'd say get under the car and tell us what position the clutch fork is in and if you can move it.

edit: I just saw your other thread, is the car making noise or not?
bmtrnavsky
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Apr 2 2009, 09:27 PM) *

The only thing I can think of that wouldn't make terrible noises is that you could have extended the pressure plate over center. I'd say get under the car and tell us what position the clutch fork is in and if you can move it.

edit: I just saw your other thread, is the car making noise or not?

If that's the case, and it moves can I push it back into position and will it work again?

If it does not move what do I do?

Was this caused by my clutch being out of adjustment?

Thanks for the help so far!
Chris Hamilton
If that's the problem you will most likely need a new pressure plate. First you'll need to get under there and figure it out.
bmtrnavsky
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Apr 2 2009, 09:51 PM) *

If that's the problem you will most likely need a new pressure plate. First you'll need to get under there and figure it out.

I'll have to get under it tomorrow after work...

How much $$$$ to fix it?
PeeGreen 914
It will cost you your soul happy11.gif

New plates aren't that expensive. We'll figure it out tomorrow and let the world know what the issue was wink.gif
maf914
Many, many years ago, when my car had only about 55k miles, my clutch failed. I was near home, less than a mile, when as I shifted up I felt a light thump through the clutch pedal. The clutch began slipping and although I could change gears no gear provided solid drive. I was able to drive very slowly home.

When I dropped and split the engine and tranny I found the diaphragm spring in the pressure plate had cracked radially. The pressure plate had lost it clamping ability as a result. I wonder if this could have happened to your clutch.
76-914
I agree. Sounds like collapsed pressure plate.
bmtrnavsky
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 3 2009, 07:04 PM) *

I agree. Sounds like collapsed pressure plate.

I guess we will all find out in the morning! smile.gif

Thanks for helping Jon!
Dave_Darling
How about a broken clutch pivot bushing? The plastic cup bushing that goes into the throwout arm and rides on the ball stud? If that fails, it could cause symptoms like that...

--DD
PeeGreen 914
How about sheered CV bolts and no pins where they should be? idea.gif

Got a new input flange in and new CV bolts installed but he still needs the pins. I told him to call Eric and order up. I think he should also order some Porterfields while he's at it poke.gif Looks like he should havew a nice brake caliper set up but soso pads.
bmtrnavsky
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 3 2009, 11:33 PM) *

How about a broken clutch pivot bushing? The plastic cup bushing that goes into the throwout arm and rides on the ball stud? If that fails, it could cause symptoms like that...

--DD

This issue is also resolved! Jon came over today and we discovered that I had sheared off all the bolts on the passenger side inboard CV joint. 4 new bolts and it is back on the road!

Next week it gets the works on the break system!

Thanks Jon!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.