Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tear drop trailer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
Since I can't sell my replica Speedster for $.30 on the dollar, I'll just pore more $$ down into a rat hole. Anyone ever see, use or tow a teardrop trailer?

Anyone near Auburn CA and can take a look? From Craig's List.

1955 Empire Teardrop Trailer - $1000 (Auburn, California)

Twelve foot classic teardrop with all original appliances including stove and icebox. Restored all birch hardwood interior, new tires. Needs new seat cushions. This teardrop has been in the same family for 50 years and is in excellent condition. Call Bill at 916-478-2733
r_towle
Now, I just love teardrop trailers...a great looking little thing.

BUT...and this is a big huge BUT for you...
Who would go camping with you in that little trailer...hmmm
The girls wont do tents, will they?
You need a motorhome...get an airstream..then you will use it.

I have gone down this road...none of them will use it with you and you will end up selling it...

Rich
Joe Bob
That's the point.....I'd like to get away w/o the girls.....I was thinking of my next project after the six is done and maybe getting a trailer kit and some plans or getting a vintage one in need of a restoration....

http://www.teardropplans.com/

http://www.kuffelcreek.com/8'_cubby.htm
KaptKaos
You can't go wrong for $1k for one of those. Even if it needs work.

I'd love a teardrop, cept my wife is claustrophobic and I am not sure she could handle it. :-(
r_towle
Offer to trade your 356 for an oval or split window beetle.
Do one of those.

Take the motor out of your 356...shelve that and put in a simple motor....trade it for less.
Put the bad ass motor into a split...that should shake up the restoration crowd.

Rich
Joe Bob
Took your advice....scares me .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=767011
dflesburg
again my point is raised.

"if it were not for women, men would live in caves, there would be no war and sheep would be worth more..."
r_towle
QUOTE(mikez @ Apr 4 2009, 07:43 PM) *

huh.gif huh.gif huh.gif huh.gif huh.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Apr 4 2009, 05:31 PM) *

again my point is raised.

"if it were not for women, men would live in caves, there would be no war and sheep would be worth more..."

Only if you had a good looking sheep....
Sleepin
My parents had a teardrop when I was a kid. I spent all summer sleeping in one on the beach! I love them!
charliew
I wish my speedster had those flares.

A old deer hunter once told me if a woman didn't have a you know what there would be a bounty on them.
aircooledtechguy
I've got a mini teardrop utility trailer for my '66 VW E-Z Camper and love it!! The best accessory I ever got for it. Mine is a singlewheel style that can't be camped in (well unless you're below 48" tall biggrin.gif ).

IPB Image

I love the full size campers and would jump on one of those if the need arose. Easy to pull with a small car, functional and are really period correct. Go for it!!
Sparky
If I were single I'd have a tear drop. But I'm not and I have 2 daughters. I camp every other weekend out on CapeCod in this, sometimes by myself:

ConeDodger
Mike,
I didn't see this until now. I am 30 minutes from Auburn. Did you buy it?

Tear drops are being reproduced comercially now. I see them at a trailer place not too far from home. I would love to build one from the original Popular Mechanics article.
Joe Bob
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 6 2009, 06:51 AM) *

Mike,

Tear drops are being reproduced comercially now. I see them at a trailer place not too far from home. I would love to build one from the original Popular Mechanics article.

Nope....can you contact them?

BTW, did you get your 240 Z stripes?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mikez @ Apr 6 2009, 06:56 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 6 2009, 06:51 AM) *

Mike,

Nope....can you contact them?

BTW, did you get your 240 Z stripes?

I did get the stripes. I have not opened the box though... Put a new lift gate on the 4Runner instead. I am sure they are fine and I will get to that soon...

So you are unable to contact them? I will give it a try for you if you want. PM me contact info and I will have them call you.
Joe Bob
I had called over the weekend and there was no answer. No pics or email for the guy.

These ads on Craig's list tend to be from owners that have the ad loaded by a computer friend and the owner is rather "unique".... shades.gif

Don't go out of your way....
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mikez @ Apr 6 2009, 07:42 AM) *

I had called over the weekend and there was no answer. No pics or email for the guy.

These ads on Craig's list tend to be from owners that have the ad loaded by a computer friend and the owner is rather "unique".... shades.gif

Don't go out of your way....

Just got voice mail. I will refer him if he calls back...
Joe Bob
Typical Craig's List flake...no call backs....
seanery
I like TearDrop trailers. I'd like to have one, but I'm thinking about selling the house when I get back from the Dino Tour in 2010 and buying an Airstream trailer or a diesel pusher RV and roam the US for a couple of years.

ps...I saw new teardrops at Gander Mountain a few months ago.
Joe Bob
Well, it's sold.....bummer. Oh well, the new vintage looking ones are cool.
seanery
there are a ton of kits out there...I think ebay has a few...just search teardrop on google and you'll see tons.
ConeDodger
DAMN IT Z!!!

I had all but forgotten how cool I thought teardrop trailers were when you posted this thread. I just ordered plans... Another freakin' project... blink.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 13 2009, 07:48 AM) *

DAMN IT Z!!!

I had all but forgotten how cool I thought teardrop trailers were when you posted this thread. I just ordered plans... Another freakin' project... blink.gif

Don't drool all over them, lemme see them when yer done....
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mikez @ Apr 13 2009, 07:58 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 13 2009, 07:48 AM) *

DAMN IT Z!!!

Don't drool all over them, lemme see them when yer done....

Got a photocopier 3 feet behind me. Comes with full sized templates for the sides and top/door though...
Pnambic
Hey Sean, ever see the Robin Williams movie RV? The movie is well....its certainly not life changing. But it does have this really interesting RV conversion in it, an old Flxible bus that Jeff Daniels and Kristin Chenoweth tool around the country in.
ConeDodger
A few pics for those who don't know what we are talking about...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.