Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Fuel Pump Issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
travisre914
'73 914 1.7 -- fuel pump replaced about 3000 miles ago. car died last night. left sitting overnight-went back this morning and it started. ran for a bit, then died again. can spray starter fluid in intake and starts briefly. so, began to check fuel pump. fuel pump is not running. meter shows power to fuel pump. relay seems ok (clicks when key is turned on). so, thinking of ordering fuel pump. does this make sense that it would have stopped last night, but worked for a bit this morning? when it was working this morning, could turn key on (but not turn engine over) and hear fuel pump run for a few seconds. cannot hear that now. What else could it be??? as you can probably tell from post, i am a rookie!!! thanks.
underthetire
QUOTE(travisre914 @ Apr 4 2009, 01:14 PM) *

'73 914 1.7 -- fuel pump replaced about 3000 miles ago. car died last night. left sitting overnight-went back this morning and it started. ran for a bit, then died again. can spray starter fluid in intake and starts briefly. so, began to check fuel pump. fuel pump is not running. meter shows power to fuel pump. relay seems ok (clicks when key is turned on). so, thinking of ordering fuel pump. does this make sense that it would have stopped last night, but worked for a bit this morning? when it was working this morning, could turn key on (but not turn engine over) and hear fuel pump run for a few seconds. cannot hear that now. What else could it be??? as you can probably tell from post, i am a rookie!!! thanks.

I am assuming it's still an FI car. Never use starting fluid in the FI on these cars. The plenum is stamped sheet metal and can blow apart. If you are sure your getting power then yes, it could only be a fuel pump. IMO i would pull the pump out and bench test it with a known 12VDC. Remember, the fuel pump only runs for a couple seconds when you turn the key on. If it's a carb car, the cheaper Empi fuel pumps fail a lot. Get the Faucet brand made for Empi.
travisre914
QUOTE(underthetire @ Apr 4 2009, 12:33 PM) *

QUOTE(travisre914 @ Apr 4 2009, 01:14 PM) *

I am assuming it's still an FI car. Never use starting fluid in the FI on these cars. The plenum is stamped sheet metal and can blow apart. If you are sure your getting power then yes, it could only be a fuel pump. IMO i would pull the pump out and bench test it with a known 12VDC. Remember, the fuel pump only runs for a couple seconds when you turn the key on. If it's a carb car, the cheaper Empi fuel pumps fail a lot. Get the Faucet brand made for Empi.

thanks. it is still FI. if i recall, the pump i had put on awhile back was a rebuilt pump. maybe go with new one this time.
SirAndy
What he said. Bench test it (And don't run it dry!) ...

shades.gif Andy
swl
back a while ago there was a thread where the guy tracked an intermittent fuel pump down to the brushes - they were sticking. He cleaned them up and was back in business. Made a lot of sense to me. If a little tap with a hammer brings it back to life then the brushes theory gets stronger.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.