Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What the heck is this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jcambo7
So I go to put my fuel pump on the car and connect the fuel filter and the rest of my lines and I find this... WTF.gif It looks to me like it's another fuel pump cuz the fuel filter was on it and also it has the electrical connection for the fuel pump connected to it. confused24.gif headbang.gif Here is a pic of it and my other fuel pump. I couldn't find it anywhere in my diagrams I printed out or my Haynes Manual either so I'm stuck right now. Help please?
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is the stock fuel pump.
Click to view attachment
ejm
That's an aftermarket pump similar to the pump used in '75-76. It does not have a return port like the '70-74 OE pump pictured.
jcambo7
QUOTE(ejm @ Apr 4 2009, 04:36 PM) *

That's an aftermarket pump similar to the pump used in '75-76. It does not have a return port like the '70-74 OE pump pictured.

So what in the world do I do with the return line? I am guessing that the stock pump is bad and hoping it's not. Im thinking I should just use the stock pump instead, that is if it even works. headbang.gif
jt914-6
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Apr 4 2009, 04:38 PM) *

So what in the world do I do with the return line? I am guessing that the stock pump is bad and hoping it's not. Im thinking I should just use the stock pump instead, that is if it even works. headbang.gif

By the looks of your "stock" pump, your car is injected. The best thing to do if the stock pump is good is mount it in the front trunk. This will prevent any vapor locking that is possible where the factory mounted it near the engine. It will never vapor lock in the front. since the tank and fuel pump will be close, it's easy to use a short return line from the pump to the tank. Find the fuel pump fuse and tap into the fused side and run a wire to the pump in the front. Mount the pump with rubber insulators to take up vibration. It is easiest done with a near empty tank and on a lift. Remove the cover under the steering rack and there is an access hole. There is room to mount the pump under the tank. Raise the tank up some to give yourself more room to work. Consider mounting the filter in the engine compartment so it's easy to get to. If the PO didn't have a return like in use, run the return line from the pump to the tank.
jcambo7
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Apr 4 2009, 07:35 PM) *

QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Apr 4 2009, 04:38 PM) *

By the looks of your "stock" pump, your car is injected. The best thing to do if the stock pump is good is mount it in the front trunk. This will prevent any vapor locking that is possible where the factory mounted it near the engine. It will never vapor lock in the front. since the tank and fuel pump will be close, it's easy to use a short return line from the pump to the tank. Find the fuel pump fuse and tap into the fused side and run a wire to the pump in the front. Mount the pump with rubber insulators to take up vibration. It is easiest done with a near empty tank and on a lift. Remove the cover under the steering rack and there is an access hole. There is room to mount the pump under the tank. Raise the tank up some to give yourself more room to work. Consider mounting the filter in the engine compartment so it's easy to get to. If the PO didn't have a return like in use, run the return line from the pump to the tank.

Yes the car is FI. I do not want to relocate my pump though. My tank is all ready empty and no of the lines are connected to it at all for anything including the expansion tank gas cap and charcoal filter. Basically all I am trying to do is get the car running right now so I can inspect the engine and see if their are any problems with and also get it drivable for a bit. I will just take the other pump out and hope the stock one still works.
cwpeden
If you have an emtpy tank you ay want to check the strainer inside the tank. A plugged strainer can be the source of a lot of headaches
jt914-6
Was the pump you asked about mounted in the stock location behind the passenger's seat underneath the car? Is that where you found the stock pump still mounted? I would assume that since the other pump was in use, that the stock one is no good.
Have the stock pump pressure tested. I'll bet it is no good since it wasn't being used. Go ahead and use the one you found to get it running in it's location where you found it. In the future though, I'd locate a pump in the front trunk. Done it twice and it is worth the trouble. Also as suggested, pull the filler neck off and check the strainer and condition of the inside of the tank.
jcambo7
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Apr 5 2009, 06:01 AM) *

Was the pump you asked about mounted in the stock location behind the passenger's seat underneath the car? Is that where you found the stock pump still mounted? I would assume that since the other pump was in use, that the stock one is no good.
Have the stock pump pressure tested. I'll bet it is no good since it wasn't being used. Go ahead and use the one you found to get it running in it's location where you found it. In the future though, I'd locate a pump in the front trunk. Done it twice and it is worth the trouble. Also as suggested, pull the filler neck off and check the strainer and condition of the inside of the tank.

The other pump I found connected to the car was in back near the area of the old stock pump.
6freak
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Apr 4 2009, 02:29 PM) *

So I go to put my fuel pump on the car and connect the fuel filter and the rest of my lines and I find this... WTF.gif It looks to me like it's another fuel pump cuz the fuel filter was on it and also it has the electrical connection for the fuel pump connected to it. confused24.gif headbang.gif Here is a pic of it and my other fuel pump. I couldn't find it anywhere in my diagrams I printed out or my Haynes Manual either so I'm stuck right now. Help please?
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Get a real Jack and some good jack stands B 4 U GET HURT...AND USE THEM
underthetire
QUOTE(6freak @ Apr 6 2009, 09:10 AM) *

QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Apr 4 2009, 02:29 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Get a real Jack and some good jack stands B 4 U GET HURT...AND USE THEM

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.