Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch needs adjusted!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
silverteener
I finally got my car back on the road today for a while. We still have some issues to work out though. One of them is my clutch. I have to let it out almost all the way to have it engage. How can I make it catch a little quicker? Any suggestions.

thanks

Scott
type47
Yes, I have a suggestion. Go under the car and find the clutch cable and the wheel the cable goes around and the end of the cable where the adjustment is. Tighten the nut to remove slack in cable. Consider double nutting to prevent the single nut from backing off and loosening. If needed, you can stack washers under the nut to compensate for some stretch of the cable. If this still is no good, look in the tunnel between the seats for the clutch tube broken off in the tunnel.
silverteener
I've got the cable pretty tight. I actually have some spacers on it already. I will take a look in the tunnel. Thanks for the info.

Scott
silverteener
I checked the tunnel for anything loose and didn't find anything. When I pushed the clutch in nothing was moving so clutch tube should be OK. Any other suggestions?? confused24.gif
type47
Take up some play in the cable at the pedal cluster. Next suggestion is to put a washer under the shift fork ball located in the bell housing.
silverteener
I tightened the cable more and it seems like it wants to snap I got it so tight. I loosened back up. Sounds like I will need to pull the transmission again and take a look. Is it possible to put a pressure plate on backwards?
jcd914
QUOTE(silverteener @ Apr 4 2009, 03:04 PM) *

One of them is my clutch. I have to let it out almost all the way to have it engage.

By this do you mean the pedal is almost all the way up before the car wants to start moving? If so this would indicate the clutch cable is too tight, not enough play. The tension on the cable is like pushing on the clutch pedal.
If you can get someone to help you, have them hold up gently on the pedal while you loosen the cable until the clutch release arm stop moving and you get a little slack in the cable. Then test and see what the clutch feels like.
The first half inch or so of pedal travel should not have any real force to, your free play. This makes sure the tension is release from the throw out bearing and pressure plate during normal driving.

No you can not install the pressure plate backwards.

Jim

Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Apr 6 2009, 05:24 PM) *

QUOTE(silverteener @ Apr 4 2009, 03:04 PM) *

One of them is my clutch. I have to let it out almost all the way to have it engage.

By this do you mean the pedal is almost all the way up before the car wants to start moving? If so this would indicate the clutch cable is too tight, not enough play. The tension on the cable is like pushing on the clutch pedal.
If you can get someone to help you, have them hold up gently on the pedal while you loosen the cable until the clutch release arm stop moving and you get a little slack in the cable. Then test and see what the clutch feels like.
The first half inch or so of pedal travel should not have any real force to, your free play. This makes sure the tension is release from the throw out bearing and pressure plate during normal driving.

No you can not install the pressure plate backwards.

Jim

I was waiting for that one ............. The symptoms indicate too tight, NOT too loose .............. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.