Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Found a 74 motor for my LE. Getting it rebuilt by a friend
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
So my Le had a motor from a 73 2.0 in it. Ran great but since I am restoring it I looked for the original motor. No luck there but did find one only 18 numbers off my original motor. No info on the motor other than it was complete & had been stored inside. No tin or anything on it just the core motor. Had some oil build up on top of the motor & looked pretty dirty. Turned over by hand fine so I hoped to just have new gaskets, seals & maybe rings. Really was hoping to just seal it up. Friend of mine needed some work so have him doing it for me.

He calls me a few minutes ago & says. I just pulled the heads & you aren't going to believe what I found. "Oh Great" I'm figuring big time damage. Anyway here are the pics. Unfreiken believable drooley.gif

Rav914
Nice! Go buy a lottery ticket.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 4 2009, 08:43 PM) *

So my Le had a motor from a 73 2.0 in it. Ran great but since I am restoring it I looked for the original motor. No luck there but did find one only 18 numbers off my original motor. No info on the motor other than it was complete & had been stored inside. No tin or anything on it just the core motor. Had some oil build up on top of the motor & looked pretty dirty. Turned over by hand fine so I hoped to just have new gaskets, seals & maybe rings. Really was hoping to just seal it up. Friend of mine needed some work so have him doing it for me.

He calls me a few minutes ago & says. I just pulled the heads & you aren't going to believe what I found. "Oh Great" I'm figuring big time damage. Anyway here are the pics. Unfreiken believable drooley.gif

Some people have all the luck. aktion035.gif
JRust
I'm still having him split the case. Just to make sure all is well there too. Those haven't even been fired yet. Talk about a score. Those are Euro pistons right?
SirAndy
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 4 2009, 06:52 PM) *

Those are Euro pistons right?

They look like bus pistons ...

But i'm no sexpert when it comes to T4 motors ...
biggrin.gif Andy
JRust
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 4 2009, 06:58 PM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 4 2009, 06:52 PM) *

Those are Euro pistons right?

They look like bus pistons ...

But i'm no sexpert when it comes to T4 motors ...
biggrin.gif Andy

Your killin my buzz dry.gif . Seriously??? Someone tell me it ain't true blink.gif
dw914er
looks clean!
Sleepin
Not deep enough dish for bus pistons. I had bus pistons in the Half Six..dish was way deeper. Those look like US 2.0 pistons IMHO.

Oh.....and...... you lucky SOB!!!!!! Thats a brand new rebuild! biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Apr 4 2009, 07:09 PM) *

Not deep enough dish for bus pistons. I had bus pistons in the Half Six..dish was way deeper. Those look like US 2.0 pistons IMHO.

Mhmmm, i think you're right. The 7.6 indicates a stock 2.0L US spec rebuild ...

http://www.914world.com/specs/engnumbs.php

Stock '74 2.0L
-----------------
Size: 1971cc
HP: 95 @ 4900
Stroke/Bore: 71/94
Compression: 7.6:1

smile.gif Andy
brp986s
Absolutely US 2L 914 pistons. I've bought several sets of those over the years. Anyway, who's gonna go to the trouble of having those heads done so nicely, only to F up the whole deal by putting in incorrect pistons? Nice score!
Todd Enlund
aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif
brp986s
Wait a minute - it's been a while since I've built a 4, but those pistons may be mounted incorrectly. I think the jagged marking on the piston is supposed to indicate that that side of the piston should be nearest the flywheel.
MrKona
QUOTE(brp986s @ Apr 4 2009, 08:06 PM) *

Wait a minute - it's been a while since I've built a 4, but those pistons may be mounted incorrectly. I think the jagged marking on the piston is supposed to indicate that that side of the piston should be nearest the flywheel.

Good eyes! According to Tom Wilson's VW rebuild book, p. 133, "Arrow on piston crown points to flywheel when piston is installed on rod. This correctly orients pin-bore offset, reducing noise and piston wear."
SirAndy
You mean the little marking that looks like a crank with a flywheel at the end? biggrin.gif

Yeah, they're off by 180 degrees ...
rolleyes.gif Andy
charliew
Ahhh shoot I'd just scrap it. The guy that assembled it couldn't read or liked to work while being a little intoxicated like my oldest son. He calls it relaxing while working.
JRust
Okay not related but didn't want to start another post. Here is my trailer I had built. It's a 16x7 deck with brakes on all 4 wheels. I wanted it low so no Dove tail. Of course now the fender stick up so high I may have to crawl out my window once loaded. Oh well! I've been through a few different trailers over the years. Had a nice 16x7 last year but my car would scrape when loading. Sold it for a decent profit to fund something else. Wanted to get the right one for WCR trip. So now I have it aktion035.gif
computers4kids
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 5 2009, 04:14 PM) *

Okay not related but didn't want to start another post. Here is my trailer I had built. I wanted it low so no Dove tail. Of course now the fender stick up so high I may have to crawl out my window once loaded. Oh well! Wanted to get the right one for WCR trip. So now I have it aktion035.gif

Nice trailer Jamie, did you get it inspected for termites?
JRust
Oh yeah
ConeDodger
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 5 2009, 05:05 PM) *

Oh yeah

Jamie,
Watch that box mounted on your tongue in sharp turns. It will smack tailgates and lift gates especially if the turn is at the end of a downhill driveway.

Said Rob who just spent half the day replacing Yopu's liftgate on the 4Runner... dry.gif
ConeDodger
Oh... And on the engine. That appears as others have pointed out to be a badly rebuilt 2.0. Since you are taking it apart anyway and you SCORED with all the new parts. Send the rotating components from the fan to the flywheel in to be balanced as a unit. You will appreciate the extra money. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.