Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More progress.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PeeGreen 914
So I finished with the welding welder.gif and now just have to prep for paint. I have the firewall all ready and am close to having the rear all ready for paint. Sooooo close piratenanner.gif
JRust
Looking good my man! Keep up the good work. Let me know when your going to install your motor. I'll come lend a hand. As long as your beautiful wife is there to feed us biggrin.gif . Seriously I'll make the trip
PeeGreen 914

I doubt I will have a teener event out of the install. If you want to come help me just because I'm fine with that. I will most likely have a light off event.
messix
did you sneeze???

whats with all the buggers... oh thats your welds! lol-2.gif

much better!
PeeGreen 914

Did I mention this is the first time I've ever welded anything? poke.gif

And I didn't burn anything either. happy11.gif
r_towle
did you get it hot enough?

Rich
PeeGreen 914

Welds were good and hot. Everything went well and turned out as well as I could hope for with being new to welding.

The last time Troy was over he caught my shop vac hose on fire.

Hey Troy, do you have my new hose yet happy11.gif
messix
yah i got yer hose right here! sheeplove.gif
pete-stevers
Looks Great Jon!!
keep it up, you might beat me finished!
championgt1
Looks good Jon. How much of the car are you going to paint?
jcambo7
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 4 2009, 10:53 PM) *

Looking good my man! Keep up the good work. Let me know when your going to install your motor. I'll come lend a hand. As long as your beautiful wife is there to feed us biggrin.gif . Seriously I'll make the trip

Hey now that's my sister so watch it! chair.gif poke.gif slap.gif av-943.gif Looking good Jon. Glad u finally put pics up. I have been wanting to see how u did on it. Keep us posted though man.
r_towle
Jon,
Grind down the welds and dont feel like you cannot weld more on an existing weld..you may need to and it works fine.
Check that your plug welds really did hold...grind them and beat them with a ball peen hammer...

Rich
Bleyseng
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 5 2009, 06:52 AM) *

Jon,
Grind down the welds and dont feel like you cannot weld more on an existing weld..you may need to and it works fine.
Check that your plug welds really did hold...grind them and beat them with a ball peen hammer...

Rich

agree.gif Look to see if you got them to bite...sometimes the material just sits on top.
PeeGreen 914
I did all the spot welds first and after I would do a few I tried to hammer and pryu on them to see if I could get them to pop. They're on there.
charliew
I don't remember if anyone mentioned and it may be too late but I always start in the center of the hole and weld the lower metal in a circular motion till its full and then weld the top piece to see it burn back a little. If the holes aren't large enough I make them larger before starting. The 914's body metal when it is rusted on the back side is really hard to judge on the thickness so blowing through is almost a given in some places. Sometimes I will stop on the rosettes after only getting a start in the bottom metal and let it cool so the base metal is now thicker to really get a hot weld on to finish. Stopping as in letting it set a few seconds. Have you thought about drilling some entry holes and spraying some body cavity wax in the insides to help the welded areas fight rust in the future? I think just using some plastic plugs in strategic spots would look ok.
PeeGreen 914
Nobody told me that but I figured it out on my own. The wax thing sounds like an interesting idea. I have been laying down primer and sanding all day... getting ready to lay down color piratenanner.gif I hope to be shooting color by Wednesday but we'll see.
RJMII
That's looking pretty good!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.