Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need clutch pedal shaft help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
biosurfer1
I tried to put my clutch back in today and ran into some problems.

While trying to put the clevis pin back in at the pedal, I found that the years of wear on the clutch pedal shaft built up some metal around the hole, so I can't get the clevis over the pedal.

Is it possible to remove just the clutch pedal shaft, or do I have to remove the entire pedal cluster?

The cluster worked good and everything looks good so I don't think it needs a complete rebuild, just a new clutch pedal shaft

Any thoughts?
ejm
The hole in the clutch arm that the clevis pin goes thru has a bushing. Was the OE plastic bushing so worn the arm itself got worn or is the problem with the bushing. The bronze pedal bushing kits come with this part.
biosurfer1
No bushing at all...maybe that was my problem. I will try to take a picture of the old clevis pin, it was almost worn half way through.

I got a new clevis pin already, but it looks like I'll need a new clutch shaft too.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Apr 5 2009, 04:05 PM) *

No bushing at all...maybe that was my problem. I will try to take a picture of the old clevis pin, it was almost worn half way through.

I got a new clevis pin already, but it looks like I'll need a new clutch shaft too.

Brett,
Here is what you do. Drop your tools. Wash your hands. Get in your truck. Drive over here to my house. Pick up my spare rebuilt pedal cluster that I always keep on the shelf. Go home, put it in, drive it like you stole it.

Send the existing one to Bruce Stone for rebuild and when it comes back bring it to me to go to my little spot on the shelf for the spare peddle cluster! biggrin.gif
biosurfer1
I think I'll take you up on that Rob... I'll get a hold of you this week.

Thanks man:)
ConeDodger
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Apr 5 2009, 06:01 PM) *

I think I'll take you up on that Rob... I'll get a hold of you this week.

Thanks man:)

De nada. You have always been there for me too... biggrin.gif
jeffdon
Someone needs to develop a simple puller for the damned clutch pedal to shaft connection. I am going into high heat, pickle fork mode tomorrow. What a bitch of a job.
jcd914
I have done a bunch of these (not recently) and never had to use heat.

The cluster has to come out.

Then support the clutch pedal at the base and drive out the roll pin.
This is probably the hardest part since the base of the pedal is round. I usually clamp it in a vise but it is a little hard to get the right angle to drive out the roll pin. A good quality roll pin punch helps here.

Then support the whole pedal cluster sideways, closely around the cable/clevis end of the clutch shaft. Clutch shaft needs to be vertical and clear of the support for the pedal cluster (the shaft has to have room to be driven out)
Then using a big punch drive the clutch rod down and out of the clutch pedal.

The key is good solid support around the pedal cluster where the clutch shaft comes out, then you can id it hard as needed to get the shaft to move.

Jim
PRS914-6
Bushing in on left, bushing gone on right (911)
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.