Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So I am swapping from a 2.0 w/ fi to 1.8 w/fi
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
I got my engine in the mail few days ago. I got a complete 1.8 w l-jet. I dropped out my 2.0 w/ d-jet, figured it would be a semi-quick swap...

I then realized i was missing the resistor pack, and dual relay (djet does not use these) and now i will be recieving those two very important pieces tuesday. So my next question is....

am i forgetting anything eles??

i think my 2.0 fuel pump is the same right, and i havent started hooking up the wiring yet, but seems like the plug to the relay board is the same looking. I got the ss heats and bursch exhaust, along with basic tune up stuff.

i really cant afford to have the project held up anymore, you guys have any insight or advise? anyone do this recently?

popcorn[1].gif
jim_hoyland
You need the 1.8 ignition harness-----
jsayre914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 5 2009, 08:34 PM) *

You need the 1.8 ignition harness-----

where do i find that, how will i know if i got it?
jim_hoyland
Well, the 1.8 ignition harness has more wires. Starting at the 12 pin connector at the relay board: 1 big yellow to solanoid and 2 grey wires to the tranny ( same as a 2.0 ), then a black wire to the + coil and a black/purple wire to - coil ( tach ), the back + wire will double back ( call it black 2 ), and a green/red for the oil light;
than the eand of the harness ( this is going into one side of your double relay) has a yellow, black/red, black2, and brown ( ground).

You also need the 1.8 FI harness. Here's a pic of my dual relay mount on the left, the box on the right is a fused distribution block i added ( not necessary )

SirAndy
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Apr 5 2009, 05:04 PM) *

seems like the plug to the relay board is the same looking.

It's the same size, but don't just assume all the wires are in the same location!

There were some changes over the years in the location of some of the wires on that connector.

I'd open it up and compare each wire location to your old plug!
bye1.gif Andy
jim_hoyland
Where the casing meets the 12 pin connector, you will see a 2 -5 inch yellow wire with a female spade terminal. This is unique to the 1.8 ignition harness and a give-away.
type47
On your new 1.8 engine, do you have wires connected to the fuel injectors? If so, isn't that the 1.8 L-jet harness? That harness should have white plugs for the dual relay and the resistor pack since those parts, especially the resistor pack, are part of the wiring that sends signals to the fuel injectors. I think the other end of that wiring harness plugs into the relay board.
jim_hoyland
Two harnesses:
1. Brain to injectors, cold start, AAR, AFM and right side of dual relay, plus a wire to the - side of the coil

2. Relay board to starter, BU switch; coil, oil lght, left side of dual relay
type47
Listen to Jim H. I'm in NY and my 1.8 is in VA so my comments are from (a weak) memory. All my references are at home in VA.
jsayre914
QUOTE(type47 @ Apr 6 2009, 09:31 AM) *

On your new 1.8 engine, do you have wires connected to the fuel injectors? If so, isn't that the 1.8 L-jet harness? That harness should have white plugs for the dual relay and the resistor pack since those parts, especially the resistor pack, are part of the wiring that sends signals to the fuel injectors. I think the other end of that wiring harness plugs into the relay board.

Yes, i have the 1.8 harness, and jeff just let ne know that the extra yellow wire is for the fuel pump controll and needs to go into the relay board, he said there is a picture in the world somewhere he will find and post for me.

sorry for confusion

next questions

is there some bracket that holds the air box, or does it just sit on top, i do not see a bracket like the 2.0 application.

do i need to use the charcoal cannistor. or can i delete it?

jim_hoyland
The canister will not affect operation.

Airbox, you mean the part that contains the air filter and attached to the AFM ( Air Flow Meter) ? The bottom part of the box is held down with a wing nut; it sits on a flat piece of metal. The top is help to the base with 5 clips. The front of the AFM attached to the throttle body boot ( a critical part, check for cracks)
jim_hoyland
Pin Outs on the 12 pin Connector, Odd # are on the left, even are right; 1 is located at front left, 12 is at back-right:
1. Green/red stripe - oil
2. Grey/ brown - bu light switch
3. Empty
4. Grey/brown - bu light switch
5. Black/purple stripe- tach
6. Yellow - starter
7. Black - coil
8. Empty
9 Empty
10. Green jumper to 11
11. Green jumper to 10
12. Black/red for fuel pump
Cevan
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Apr 6 2009, 09:43 AM) *

next questions

is there some bracket that holds the air box, or does it just sit on top, i do not see a bracket like the 2.0 application.

Yes, you need a bracket. It's held in with 3 bolts. The bracket has a threaded bolt that sticks up. The bottom half of the airbox is bolted to this bracket.
jsayre914
QUOTE(Cevan @ Apr 6 2009, 12:18 PM) *

QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Apr 6 2009, 09:43 AM) *

next questions

Yes, you need a bracket. It's held in with 3 bolts. The bracket has a threaded bolt that sticks up. The bottom half of the airbox is bolted to this bracket.

anybody got a picture of the bracket, installed preferred smile.gif
type47
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Apr 6 2009, 09:28 AM) *

Maybe someone will get one soon. For me, Wednesday afternoon at the earliest. I have a bracket removed and another bracket installed and can get pix of both/either.
jsayre914
QUOTE(type47 @ Apr 6 2009, 05:43 PM) *

QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Apr 6 2009, 09:28 AM) *

Maybe someone will get one soon. For me, Wednesday afternoon at the earliest. I have a bracket removed and another bracket installed and can get pix of both/either.

can i run her a few days untill i get the bracket?? just dont turn too fast right huh.gif
type47
I don't think it would hurt to run it. Seems to me the important thing would be the connections to the AFM are leak free. It might flop around a little but I think it would be drivable. Maybe you could wire tie it down to make it a little more secure.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(type47 @ Apr 6 2009, 05:36 PM) *

I don't think it would hurt to run it. Seems to me the important thing would be the connections to the AFM are leak free. It might flop around a little but I think it would be drivable. Maybe you could wire tie it down to make it a little more secure.

agree.gif Support the bottom too, should be OK.
gothspeed
Am I missing something here mellow.gif? ........... what is the reason for going through all this trouble? I thought a 2.0 was a tad more desireable? .......... or is it because of the fuel injection?
type47
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Apr 7 2009, 06:48 AM) *

Am I missing something here mellow.gif? ........... what is the reason for going through all this trouble?

I think his 2.0 needs a rebuild and wants to install another engine to still be able to drive the car.
gothspeed
QUOTE(type47 @ Apr 7 2009, 07:27 AM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Apr 7 2009, 06:48 AM) *

Am I missing something here mellow.gif? ........... what is the reason for going through all this trouble?

I think his 2.0 needs a rebuild and wants to install another engine to still be able to drive the car.

Makes some sense now.
type47
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Apr 6 2009, 06:43 AM) *

is there some bracket that holds the air box,

pix of bracket top and underneath. I looked all through the PET and could not find a part number.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
jsayre914
sad.gif i was so close to diagnosing the alternator problems...

then the smell of smoke, from the alternator area. looks like the ignition was on for too long, and somthing in the harness sizzled.

looks like i just met murphy.
chair.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.