Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Questions about Bumper Pads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ellisor3
Does anyone have any other ideas on what to do about the bumper pads if they are worn/cracked/broken/or just ugly?

Here are the options I have though of, please add comments or propose other solutions:

1.) Just take them off and leave it off, not sure what purpose they serve anyway?

2.) Have them refurbished, not sure of the cost, or if it will make that great of an improvement.

3.) Go to fiberglass and have them painted. Has anyone had any experience with fiberglass pads?

4.) Buy new ones. Prices I have found are about $1,000 for both. I could by a lot of horse power for $1,000. Especially if I don't know what the things do anyway.

Any other thoughts or suggestions

James
dlo914
Best route would be to go with the Fiberglass bumper tops. From what i've heard from others, they fit pretty well. But i have yet to see an actual set on a car in person.

Or you could get lucky and find a decent used OEM set for cheap.
VaccaRabite
The bumper pads are there to look pretty and provide a smooth transition from the bumper to the body of the car. It would only be a minor sin to drive w/o them, though I bet it would be harmful to your aerodynamic profile.

Unless yours are really REALLY ugly, you car probably looks better with the ugly ones then w/o. Replace with FG if you don't want to spend $$$

zach
anderssj
just a thought . . . what about the fiberglass units with a "line-x" (bed-liner) coating? could the line-x me made to approximate the original rubber?

like I said, just a thought . . .
ClayPerrine
Pelican sells repro pads.. We have them on both our 914s. They look great!
ellisor3
Thanks Guy's the Line-X option is a good one.
James
Joe Bob
Are you sure the pad he's talking about is a pre 75?
bembry
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 5 2009, 06:40 PM) *

Pelican sells repro pads.. We have them on both our 914s. They look great!

All I could find were genuine OEM pads on their site, and they were right around $1000 total for both. They also had a disclaimer saying they wouldn't sell repro seals, etc. I may have to go the fiberglass route.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca..._BDYsl2_pg1.htm
jimkelly
the low cost solution is to only drive it at night : )
gothspeed
What bumper pads are the subject here ....... the rubber strip across the top of the chrome bumper or the tits??

Either way I may be getting rid of mine (in great shape) to go with complete fiberglass bumper assemblies front and rear.
PanelBilly
Checked with my LineX neighbors. They say it would be $175-200 to spray a pad and coat it with kevlar. I'm in the NW, but I'm sure there's a dealer in your town. I'd make sure the bumber fit well first.
ellisor3
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Apr 7 2009, 10:35 PM) *

Checked with my LineX neighbors. They say it would be $175-200 to spray a pad and coat it with kevlar. I'm in the NW, but I'm sure there's a dealer in your town. I'd make sure the bumber fit well first.

That is still a better option than new ones. I think the most economical way is to have mine repaired. Nel is going to give me a quote when I get him some pics.

Thanks for the help on the Line-X quote
anderssj
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Apr 7 2009, 12:36 PM) *

Thanks Guy's the Line-X option is a good one.
James

let us know how it/they turn out . . . and as always, pictures are GOOD smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.