Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fiberglass Bumper Backdating
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschecb
Read all the threads on backdating. Got fiberglass replacement bumbers. I can measure till im blue. Any ideas on fitment? No holes on the glass bumpers just mounting tabs. I can try to use just about anything to try to mate the bumper to the car but no room for mistakes.

Any help or ideas?

Maybe measure a real metal bumper for drilling location on glass bumpers?

Only assume the tabs are in correct locations.

Thanks Michael
sww914
A picture of the backside of the bumper will help.
GeorgeRud
The mounting holes for the rear bumpers are fairly easy to see (upper ones are in the trunk, lower ones under the trunk floor. You should be able to place and tape the new bumper into place, then mark the locations through the previous mounting holes.

When I mounted my Getty rear bumper (with aluminum mounting tabs that were not attached), I simply attached the tabs to the body and used a bit of an epoxy putty to hold the tabs in place while the bumper was taped in the proper position. When it dried, I added additional fiberglass cloth and resin to attach the mounts more firmly.
porschecb
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Apr 5 2009, 06:48 PM) *

The mounting holes for the rear bumpers are fairly easy to see (upper ones are in the trunk, lower ones under the trunk floor. You should be able to place and tape the new bumper into place, then mark the locations through the previous mounting holes.

When I mounted my Getty rear bumper (with aluminum mounting tabs that were not attached), I simply attached the tabs to the body and used a bit of an epoxy putty to hold the tabs in place while the bumper was taped in the proper position. When it dried, I added additional fiberglass cloth and resin to attach the mounts more firmly.

Thanks! I see what your saying. I will do some work on that.
jcd914
Michael,
I have some bumpers off the car that you can look at, measure, hold up to your car.

Jim

porschecb
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Apr 5 2009, 10:01 PM) *

Michael,
I have some bumpers off the car that you can look at, measure, hold up to your car.

Jim

Thanks Jim! I will be in touch.

Michael
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.