Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: S&S Exhaust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
d7n7master
Hi All,
I was thinkin' about goin' with S&S headers & muffler - street use.
I currently have a Bursch exhaust system that's seen better days. In the past I've had great results using S&S headers on chevy small blocks but have no info on S&S systems installed on 2.0 914's. I checked out their website at http://www.ssheaders.com/
but their website suckz. Not one picture or performance info available for us teener's. Maybe I should have (my) headers powder coated and just replace the muffler... or???
Whatdayathink??? welder.gif
ChrisReale
Get a European Racing header and muffler. Dont F around with any other company (besides tangerine Racing)
d7n7master
...because??? blink.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
I got one of their "performance" systems for my Type III...not a good design. I tried explaining to the "head engineer" about the need for keeping the stock cooling system intact but he wouldn't listen...very close-minded person (doesn't seem to understand that most owners don't live in California and Arizona, like it'd make a difference). The only thing I would recommend from that place is their merged collector. Build your exhaust to properly fit the engine and the collector but don't rely on their expertise because I found it completely lacking for VW's... fighting19.gif
Brad Roberts
RUN.

One of our members got ripped by them. The advertise "header" and it is nothing but a muffler replacement.

If the price is too good to be true... then it probably is.

B
ChrisReale
QUOTE(d7n7master @ Feb 26 2004, 07:29 PM)
...because??? blink.gif

because it is a great design (actually works) and it is affordable (Around $450 I think). Get it jet hot coated, and its ballgame mueba.gif
soloracer
Out of curiosity, what exhaust would you recommend for a turbo rotary powered 914? The exhaust will exit out one side of the engine and out through a single muffler. It probably has to be stainless because the EGT's on a rotary can exceed 900 degrees celcius. I know some who have installed glass packs only to have them burnt out in short order by the exhaust from a rotary. It would also have to be fairly free flowing for the turbos.
Brad Roberts
On a RX7 race car we MADE the muffler using lava rocks. It was the only thing we could find that didnt MELT.

B
d7n7master
I'm in Kalifornia, Orange County - but I do use the defroster every once in awhile... clap56.gif
Will I see a performance+ if I loose the heat exchangers & go with???
soloracer
Seriously? Never heard of anyone doing that before. The good thing about the rotary is it has a strong, hot exhaust pulse - perfect for turbocharging. It can spool a turbo that engines of similar displacement would have trouble moving. I have a 87 RX7 Turbo that I used to race in solo events but has been up on blocks in the shop for a few years. The exhaust on it comes from Racing Beat. I don't know what the specs on the metal are but I'm pretty sure it's not made from lava rock laugh.gif
ChrisReale
Coast Fab

Ceramic guts and stainless housing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.