Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recommended tune up procedure
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Engman
Well, it is time to get the teener out again - retaged it today! But before I make it the nearly every day driver I want to do a tune up. What is the consensus of what should be done first , second etc.

I had planned

1. timing
2. no need to do dwell as it is a Crane XR700 unit
3. plug gaps
4. valves
5. idle set

M
d7n7master
Just my 2c but, I also have the Crane XR700 unit. My timing hasn't changed in four years. If it was my sometime driver I would; change the oil & filter, clean whatever sucks air, and spray a little "snoop" on all vacuum hoses to check for leaks. If you haven't replaced f.i. hoses-assuming that... do it NOW. Change the fuel filter. Find a twisty road. smile.gif
garyh
Valves 1st; you want the engine cold.

Take the plugs out while you do the valves; makes it easier.

I replace plugs rather than re-gap them. If they're worn to the point where the gap has changed, it's time. (And I always use a torque wrench on the plugs.)

Warm the engine up, then check the timing and idle speed. Snoop for vacuum leaks while it warms up.

After the timing is checked (if the timing moves when you have a XR700 or Pertronix, think about worrying... ) drain the oil.

Replace all filters.

Then drive the darm thing!
John
Here is what I like to do:

Start with a warm car and put it up on jack stands or in my case, my lift.

Drain the oil.

Allow engine to cool overnight.

Pull all spark plugs.

Remove valve covers.

Set valve clearances.

Install valve covers.

Remove oil filter.

Install new oil filter.

Install oil drain plug.

Fill with oil.

Install new spark plugs.

Install new air filter.

Depending on when it was last changed, change fuel filter.

Drive, drive, drive.

If the car had been sitting a long time, you could flush the brake fluid as it does absorb water just sitting there....
Rusty
Way back, John Larson recommended not pulling the plugs prior to a valve adjustment. Carbon build up could break free, and cause your valve adjustment to be "off".

Just a thought. If you're gonna replace plugs - then do them first, warm up the engine, drain the oil, then do valves.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Freedom
warm the engine up? shouldnt you adjust the the valves while the engine is cold?

or was i misunderstanding.

i have this 1835 and i pulled the plugs on it and one of the valves got a piece of carbon fell on the seat or something, anyways the valve got stuck open slightly it wouldnt seat. as soon as i fierd it the valve loosend way up.

my .02c
Rusty
I should have said... "warm up the engine, drain the oil, let sit overnight, do valves."

Thanks for catching that!

-Rusty smoke.gif
Freedom
or you could get it hot, and adjust them to zero clearance... for maximum valve lift... i do it on my Formula Vee, i still cant get it right!LOL
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Freedom @ Feb 27 2004, 11:33 AM)
or you could get it hot, and adjust them to zero clearance... for maximum valve lift... i do it on my Formula Vee, i still cant get it right!LOL

I would not want to stick my hand in the head to adjust the valves hot... much easier cold
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.