Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The torsion bar adjusting bolt is stuck(rusted)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turnaround89
I need to lower the front end of my car but the adjusting bolt on both sides is rusted stuck. Ive been spraying liquid wrench to hopefully loosen up some of the rust, i think i might have rounded out the inside of the passenger side because it is stuck. What can i do? can i grind down two sides of the bolt head and get a wrench on it to loosen it up?
6freak
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Apr 6 2009, 11:38 AM) *

I need to lower the front end of my car but the adjusting bolt on both sides is rusted stuck. Ive been spraying liquid wrench to hopefully loosen up some of the rust, i think i might have rounded out the inside of the passenger side because it is stuck. What can i do? can i grind down two sides of the bolt head and get a wrench on it to loosen it up?

Maybe you can just weld a bolt in it which would add some heat as well. welder.gif .sounds like its toast anyway
turnaround89
If i weld a bolt onto the adjusting bolt and get it turn, what would happen if i completely remove the adjusting bolt to put a new one in?
6freak
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Apr 6 2009, 11:47 AM) *

If i weld a bolt onto the adjusting bolt and get it turn, what would happen if i completely remove the adjusting bolt to put a new one in?

well you should be at the point the cars off the ground and wheels off right! when you take that bolt out all it will do is relaxe the torsion bar...and if your at that point remove said bar and lube and check for cracks.do one side at a time so`s to not mix them up!(should be stamped anyway) when your satisfied there ok reinstall bar and new ajustment bolt....remember where the cap was and how many threads were showing on the bolt That will get you close ..then corner balance.....I hope thats correct....the pros will jump in soon
Rusty
BTDT.

If you can find some Kroil... try that. Second choice is PB Blaster. They are the best penetrating oils on the market, IMO.

Alternating some percussive maintenace (tapping on the bolt) and heat applications may free it up.

-Rusty
SirAndy
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Apr 6 2009, 11:47 AM) *

The car will fall on you ... shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.