Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 up on the (auction) block in OKC
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MBowman325
I just called information on a '74 914 that's due up on the action block again on Wednesday (after failing to sale on Saturday). About all I got outta the guy is that is sounds odd when idling and it looks like it was painted with a paint brush. The guy admits to knowing nothing else, including on opening the "hood".

The asking price is 2250 and it came from a dealer somewhere as a consignment sale.

While I really don't have the money for it, I figure I'll go look at it and see what we've got. He says that "it's not a rust bucket" and the interior looks good.

My concern is that it'll look too good to pass up (excluding the paint) and I'll want to buy it.... dry.gif

I'll see if I can take some pics on the cell phone today (won't have time to run home for the camera)

Pic may be found at:
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/ctd/1109801964.html

(Edit: Corrected typo)
biosurfer1
If it has a set price, how is that an auction?
MBowman325
It's an auction place, but this is being sold on consignment from a dealer here. (Was taken as a trade)

(First post should have said "dealer" instead of "deal")
drgchapman
check the hell hole...at least.
MBowman325
Yeah, I'll look around it. The guy said I could drive it on the lot, but could not drive it off the lot. Would be nice to jack it up and check the valve lash. smile.gif

Wish I had the flashlight in the car... Oh well make do with what I have.
MBowman325
SO, I went and looked at the car (took pictures, some of which might rival Andy's smile.gif ), and drove it around the parking lot a few times.

The paint is bad. This appears to be (at least) the 3rd repaint. Initial color was a light Blue or Red.

The hell hole has been previously repaired - poorly. (square plate, round hole mentality, only the plate wasn't quite big enough). The floorpans have been replaced. The rear trunk has rust, whereas the front trunk really looks good. 8 Spoke Empi-style wheels with a Rivera spare.

Not cut for AC, no center console, interior is really very good looking (I'd say maybe an 8/10), found one sunvisor (pass) in the front trunk (may be salvagable) Infinity speakers with some brand headunit. Faceplate was not there and I didn't look in the glovebox.

Heat exchangers (not stainless) were on and heater components were hooked up... I realized when I left that I had a chance to see what it's like to have a functioning climate control center in a 914. Or blow a fuse.

Dual Webber carbs. I couldn't tell what size. Fuel leaks on both sides at the bowls dry.gif . Smelled strongly of gas (from the leaks). Valves didn't sound very unusual to me, perhaps louder than mine by a little bit. Car is very cold natured and backfires fairly constantly. Once it's established an idle it chugs away.

Serious issues getting it into 1st. Was only able to get up to 2nd as the lot wasn't that free.

All factory dash switches repalced with toggle switches.

This car was from Texas, I'd assume either on the Gulf coast or maybe Texhoma, though I doubt the latter. Maybe a half a cup of sand in the back.

If I'd thought about it then I woulda looked at the inspection sticker and known for sure.

VIN is not in the database: 4742917451

If people are interested, I can post pictures.

Overall, perhaps a good start for someone (or a good project for ~2k).

If it doesn't sell Wednesday, they told me to make an offer.
MBowman325
Admins
If this needs to be moved to the classifieds, please have at it. Initially this was just an information deal, but since I've done essentially a PPI..

-- Not a Post Whore
=D
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.