Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lighten 1976 Bumper
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Derek Seymour
I would like to remove my absorbers but retain my stock bumpers.

I heard that there was a thread dedicated to this a little bit ago... but I'm having trouble finding it... can anyone help?

smile.gif

Thanks!!!!!!!
MBowman325
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=8404&st=0

This is a backdating thread that covers some of it. Stop before removing the lips for the bumper.

Seemed like it'd be easy to do when I was crawling around under the car inhaling a wonderful fuel air mix. I shortly became slightly ill, so take with a grain of salt. smile.gif

I'm unsure if there is proper support for the rubber bumpers once the shocks are gone though.

Just a question, have you lightened all else and you're now down supports for another 12-16 lbs?
Derek Seymour
QUOTE(MBowman325 @ Apr 6 2009, 01:15 PM) *

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=8404&st=0

This is a backdating thread that covers some of it. Stop before removing the lips for the bumper.

Seemed like it'd be easy to do when I was crawling around under the car inhaling a wonderful fuel air mix. I shortly became slightly ill, so take with a grain of salt. smile.gif

I'm unsure if there is proper support for the rubber bumpers once the shocks are gone though.

Just a question, have you lightened all else and you're now down supports for another 12-16 lbs?

No I haven't really lightened anything.. in fact I have spent all of my time returning my car to "bone stock" so it will pass smog. I jus know thi sis something I would like to do and thought I would do a little research first before making any decisions.

My thought is to put foam in the bumper so that it will have support without the absorbers. I am also thinking about getting someone to make stock 75-76 looking bumpers out of carbon fiber or fiberglass. That way they will be rigid and won't many supports to keep their shape.

Any suggestions for dropping weight that doesn't permanently alter body panels and such?
MBowman325
I hadn't thought about it for the car, to be honest. (I could stand to loose a few pounds)

Tar, foam, engine backpad come to mind as fairly inconspicuous things to remove. Does it have AC? (Working or no) The York compressors must weight nearly 30 pounds.

A thought that I've seen echoed here a few times is that Porsche didn't add things because they thought they were unnecessary. However, over the years, we've found things that turned out to be a weak point (moisture trapping foam and sound deader?)

Look around. Think about what you want to do with it. Is it gonna be a street car or a race car? Do the appropriate things.
VaccaRabite
I think that you are talking about my thread.

Light Big Black Bumpers

It highlights what I did to make them, and weight savings - which are considerable. Deleting shocks alone were ~ 20 pounds.

Zach
markb
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 6 2009, 02:26 PM) *

I think that you are talking about my thread.

Light Big Black Bumpers

It highlights what I did to make them, and weight savings - which are considerable. Deleting shocks alone were ~ 20 pounds.

Zach

This is the one I was thinking of, Derek
VaccaRabite
Whats really awesome is that, aside from the horns, they came out looking totally stock, and weighing about the same as the early steel bumpers.

IPB Image

Zach
Bleyseng
Looks like you have speakers in the fog lite holes???? Now that is cool!
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Apr 7 2009, 08:00 AM) *

Hella Supertones. They are LOUD.

I want people to hear me over thier cell phone and radio when I honk the horn at them.
Zach
Derek Seymour
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 7 2009, 07:00 AM) *

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Apr 7 2009, 08:00 AM) *

Hella Supertones. They are LOUD.

I want people to hear me over thier cell phone and radio when I honk the horn at them.
Zach

Cool! Thanks Mark for the heads up and Vacca for the info!

beerchug.gif
Derek
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.