Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tach Took A Dive
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ssstikircr
Hey guys on the way home today my tach stopped working. The needle just stopped at about 1800 and is not moving even after turning the motor off. I checked the obvious like any disconnected wires and the fuses. It all looked fine... Any ideas what else to check for? I am not the greatest at electrical stuff.... headbang.gif

THANKS
r_towle
Check the wire on the coil, make sure its not loose or grounded.

Rich
Cap'n Krusty
Yup. You've got a problem. Best thing to check for is the address for North Hollywood Speedometer and Clock, cause there's nothing outside the tach that'll make it do that.

The Cap'n
So.Cal.914
Or post a tach wanted in the classifieds. If you don't mind it's not the stock one it'll be alot cheaper.
ssstikircr
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 6 2009, 05:36 PM) *

Check the wire on the coil, make sure its not loose or grounded.

Rich

Tried that already.... it is fine
ConeDodger
Alex,
I have a few of them, both early and late. Want to try a different one?
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 6 2009, 09:25 PM) *

Alex,

cheer.gif aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif

And you call yourself an asshat. Keep it up, we will revoke your membership!

Zach
ssstikircr
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 6 2009, 07:25 PM) *

Alex,

I might .... I'll let you know if I do. I'm gonna try messing with it 1st

THANKS
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 6 2009, 07:02 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 6 2009, 09:25 PM) *

Alex,

cheer.gif aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif

And you call yourself an asshat. Keep it up, we will revoke your membership!

Zach

Zach,
Soon my 240Z will be sitting on jackstands in Alex's garage while we work together to put in the new interior... If Alex needs a tach - it is his... biggrin.gif Although, best I can tell, Alex has skillz. He will probably fix the broken one. biggrin.gif My plan is to pee in his garden to keep my asshat status blink.gif
DNHunt
I know this may sound kind of weird but, my tach used to get stuck. It happened when the top of the dash got warm. It turned out the lens is not flat, it is slightly concave to cut down on glare. The button in the center of the tach pressed against the lens when it got hot. My solution was to turn the lens around so it was convex. Look at the center you may be able to see a very small dot where the button has worn into the lens.

It has worked great since.

Dave
ssstikircr

Zach,
Soon my 240Z will be sitting on jackstands in Alex's garage while we work together to put in the new interior... If Alex needs a tach - it is his... biggrin.gif Although, best I can tell, Alex has skillz. He will probably fix the broken one. biggrin.gif My plan is to pee in his garden to keep my asshat status blink.gif
[/quote]

Cool.... maybe we can get some more asshats to help fertalize my whole yard... That way I can give my dogs the day off... lol

Well the funny thing is I pulled the cluster this morning to take a look at the back side as I was pulling the cluster the needle flipped down to 0. So I fired up the car and it was working now. WTF.gif So I just put it back together... so far so good aktion035.gif
Spoke
If the needle stuck at 1800 then it is something mechanical with the needle. There is some binding somewhere that caused the needle to stick. Either take the tach apart and investigate or get a different tach.
marks914
There is a mechanical problem with it. If the pointer is hiitting the lens, install a new flat lens, they are supposed to be flat. No amount of wiring will correct the issue.
They are not really worth fixing, a used one can be had for under $50.00

Mark
ConeDodger
QUOTE(marks914 @ Apr 8 2009, 10:32 AM) *

They are not really worth fixing, a used one can be had for under $50.00

Mark

More like for the cost of gas to drive the two miles to my house! biggrin.gif
underthetire
If its a lens, I have a new spare glass one I had made. headbang.gif

Shipping only. You can have it.
ssstikircr
THANKS for all your help guys!!! beerchug.gif
For now I will wait to see if n when it happens again and I'll take it from there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.