Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My new 914 shipped from Oregon to Maine.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pktzygt
After traveling from Camp914 to the east coast in about a week, apparently it takes 2 days from Boston, MA to Kittery, ME. So, the trucking company called Friday to tell me it would be here Monday morning. So, it's noon on Tuesday.... Still no car. The driver called yesterday and told me that the weather held him up and it would be here this morning. To make matters worse, I'm about to go in to work. I'm just incredibly anxious. I'll post pics when it gets here, even if it's dark outside.

Here's one that Craig sent me while it was still at Camp.
IPB Image
tod914
Congrads. Nice looking car. Craig always seems to find some good ones. Good luck with it.
Spoke
Good luck on the new car. I just shipped a 911 from Colorado to PA. They picked the car up on Monday last week and it arrived on Thursday evening.
ConeDodger
That is the way it works. I am sure the driver wishes he was there Monday too. Be patient. It will come.
pktzygt
I left for work about 45 min ago and get a call while i'm in the parking lot. The driver in in New Hampshire making his last delivery and is about 30 min from here. But...he won't drive through a set of scales north of me. He wants to drop it off at a truck stop about 3 miles away and offered to drive it to my house and I could drop him off back at his truck. My car has license plates that are still valid through the previous owner, but I have yet to complete the insurance yet.

I am not comfortable with this situation.
VaccaRabite
If the contract says he has to deliver the car to your home, then that is what he has to do.

Zach
markb
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 7 2009, 11:39 AM) *

If the contract says he has to deliver the car to your home, then that is what he has to do.

Zach

agree.gif
charliew
My insurance covers any new car purchases I make for 30 days. I would leave work and get it just to have it done and be through with the deal. You can drive the 914 and let him follow in your other car.
dbgriffith75
QUOTE(pktzygt @ Apr 7 2009, 01:13 PM) *

I left for work about 45 min ago and get a call while i'm in the parking lot. The driver in in New Hampshire making his last delivery and is about 30 min from here. But...he won't drive through a set of scales north of me. He wants to drop it off at a truck stop about 3 miles away and offered to drive it to my house and I could drop him off back at his truck. My car has license plates that are still valid through the previous owner, but I have yet to complete the insurance yet.

I am not comfortable with this situation.

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 7 2009, 01:39 PM) *

Zach

You both have valid points, but let me step in here with a truck drivers' perspective-

If he doesn't want to drive thru a set of scales, then chances are good his rig is either overweight (which isn't likely for a car hauler); there's a problem with his rig that makes it unsafe for travel; or he's so far behind and/or faking his log books that this particular set of scales will cause him a lot of trouble. Since he only wants to get the freight to the customer, he's asking you to meet him in a place where it's safe for him. If he attempts to pass thru these scales and gets caught with any of the above violations, the DOT has the ability to shut him down for nearly as long as they want, depending on the violation. Example, if there's something about his rig that makes it unsafe for travel, this is called an Out Of Service violation, and they can shut him down until its repaired. Or if he's caught faking his log book, they can shut him down until he's legally allowed to drive again, which can be anywhere from 10 to 34 hours or more.

If he doesn't want to pass thru these scales it sounds to me like he knows they'll catch something and shut him down, and he only wants you to get your car, which is why he's asking for you to meet him. If he attempts the scales and gets caught, who knows when you'll be able to get your car from him, because as long as he's shut down, the DOT will not allow him to do anything relating to the truck, such as unload one of the cars if you tried to go to that particular scale for the car.

My advice, despite the fact that he rightfully should deliver to you, is to just meet him. It's only 3 miles if that's where you guys decide to take care of business. If you don't it could be another day or two before he can deliver to you.

Plus, this way you know your teener is safe and sound in your hands. smile.gif
pktzygt
Done deal! It was the last car on the truck. He said they charge him money when he goes through theose scales. I got him to meet me at the truck stop 3miles from my house. I drove it home and my buddy drove me to get my truck.

Now on to the fun stuff.

As adequately described by Craig, the worst part of the car is the paint. It is a black repaint over yellow. The paint is cracking and bits of yellow show through here and there. I only had an hour to mess around before I had to go back to work, but i didn't really find any rust. Thanks Craig! I'll fend off future rust and repaint later.

I'm not too hot with the interior color, I miss my black corderoy. I like not having the center console. How rare is a rear window defroster?

The engine runs strong. Keep in mind, I have only driven a few of these things and none of the 2.0FI. My last one was a 1.8 w/2 single barrel carbs. This one has 2 dual barrel webers. It supposedly has a large bore motor, but I can't tell exactly what it was from the pile of recipts that came with it. It runs and sounds really nice though.

benalishhero
Very nice.

Good luck with it.

Cheers! from Portland.
pktzygt
One more thing.

Craig, are you on here? Do you remember how much brake fluid was in the thing?

I pushed the brake and it had a lot of play in it. It felt like a couple inches of travel in it with the only tension was maybe a return spring. Then there was a spot with a really stiff pedal. It seemed to stop fine. Am I describing the feel of the upgrade master cylinder? I think I remember a recipt for a new master cylinder. There is a blinking red light when I push the pedal above the fuel gauge. I don't remember exactly what that light means, but I do know that blinking red usually means BAD.

I looked at the brake resivoir and looked like it it had a gray ring near the bottom. So I'm thinking add some fluid and bleed that crap out. NOPE, that was just an old stain and the fluid that is in it now is clean but lower level in the resivoir than the stain.

I guess I'll bleed and do the wait and see to find any possible leaks. Can someone describe the feel of the 19mm master cylinder?

Thanks for the car Craig!
boxstr
Sean, I am here. I did check the brake fluid, I don't think it was down enough to add any.
Check the receipts I thought I saw one in there for a new master cylinder. Not sure if it was a 19MM ??
It may need to be flushed out and new fluid put in.
Have fun.
CCLIN914INMN
pktzygt
QUOTE(boxstr @ Apr 7 2009, 11:22 PM) *

Sean, I am here. I did check the brake fluid, I don't think it was down enough to add any.
Check the receipts I thought I saw one in there for a new master cylinder. Not sure if it was a 19MM ??
It may need to be flushed out and new fluid put in.
Have fun.
CCLIN914INMN

It was definately low. I will monitor the level carefully and decide if I have a leak. The car wil lock 'em up without any problem and the pedal feels firm and doesn't seem to sink when I hold it down. It just takes a bit more pressure than I'm used to and the 1st half of the pedal travel is just free-play. It feels good though. I'm going to check for a leak between the resivoir and the master cylinder.

I am having fun!
smg914
The flashing red light at the top of your fuel gauge is one of two things. Either the emergency brake is activated or the master cylinder temporally lost pressure and the reset button on the drivers side of the master cylinder needs to be reset. To reset this button, turn the steering wheel all the way to the right and reach your hand back to the rubber boot on the side of the master cylinder and push on it. The light should stop blinking if you hit the reset correctly.
slackin' at work
great car!
glad it all worked out for you.

I had my 914 shipped from MI to VA. they picked it up at 9:30pm on a wednesday
night. was in my driveway thursday morning at 7:30am. driver was a big tool, but
he got it here post-haste... so I gave him a tip.
pktzygt
QUOTE(smg914 @ Apr 8 2009, 03:37 PM) *

The flashing red light at the top of your fuel gauge is one of two things. Either the emergency brake is activated or the master cylinder temporally lost pressure and the reset button on the drivers side of the master cylinder needs to be reset. To reset this button, turn the steering wheel all the way to the right and reach your hand back to the rubber boot on the side of the master cylinder and push on it. The light should stop blinking if you hit the reset correctly.

Plan for tonight:
1. Get home from work.
2. Put 2 year old to bed.
3. Reset master cylinder.
4. Gather paperwork to register this thing tomorrow.

Thanks.
pktzygt
QUOTE(slackin' at work @ Apr 8 2009, 03:46 PM) *

great car!
glad it all worked out for you.

I had my 914 shipped from MI to VA. they picked it up at 9:30pm on a wednesday
night. was in my driveway thursday morning at 7:30am. driver was a big tool, but
he got it here post-haste... so I gave him a tip.

That is amazing. This has been a long couple weeks waiting on mine to get here. I have never bought a car sight unseen before. (*insert yet another plug for Craig at Camp914*)I got exactly what I was expecting though.
Slider
congrats on the new toy.. now get it legal and drive it!

resist the urge to put it up on jack stands..

my .02
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.