Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Sickness Continues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SLITS
Well, like an idiot, I picked up another car. This one had been sitting in a backyard since at least 1994. According to the seller, "it was running when parked". I love those words.

The gophers in the ensuing years had built a dirt mound underneath the car and with four flats, it remained sitting in direct contact with the dirt. I had fears, but it was a '73 fully optioned 2.0L. Keys were missing and doors were locked (bad sign, but whatever).

I dug it out, put rollers on it and brought it back to the shop. Car had been repainted (evidence of a front end tap) and, of course, the paint is pure purple shit. Yes, I had visions of an original Aubergine (my best to you Rusty) car. Turns out it may be Sepia Brown orginally.

Once in the shop, I was able to remove the seats. I made the mistake of poking behind the driver's seat and opened up a nice hole to see the concrete below. Futher inspection revealed the rear pan in the rear trunk rusted through in one corner, holes in the hell hole area (and long) and more holes below the relay plate. This was all due to accumulation of 15 years of dirt accumulating, getting wet during rain and providing an optimum condition for rust.

EVERYTHING was covered with Bell Town dirt (Riverside dust bowl).

The wiring had been hacked into ... hey most of the lights worked, but gauges didn't. Tried to fire the engine w/o the fuel injection hooked up (it's wasted). Engine tried to run and sounded fair ... about 100 PSI per cylinder with a compression test.

Engine has been gone into at one time as the pass head is '73-'74 and the driver's head is '75-'76.

Decided to part it out ... broke the windshield trying to get the trim off. Glass guys should be banned or shot for using butyl in a tube. Tape works much better.

Now having second thoughts about parting it. I think I want to fix it over a long period of time. Ahhhh, the sickness ... I don't need three 914s.

Following are the specifics:

Vin: 4732903541
Paint Code: 98 (no "L", no "K")
Chassis: 3939605
Door jam sticker missing
Last license: California '94

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Camera batteries gave up or I would have shot the hell hole and such.

charliew
So how did you get in it?
76-914
Got any tis on removing that windsheild trim. I need to r&r my windsheild and was hoping to save the trim for someone/somewhere so I didn't want to destroy it. My windsheild is cracked so it is not important. Any ideas?
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(SLITS @ Apr 7 2009, 10:40 AM) *

Turns out it may be Sepia Brown orginally.

Would a COA give you the color, or just the code?

Looking at the photos, and not having seen it in person... I wonder if the purple isn't just oxidized Sepia?

Interesting that a custom paint car would not have fogs, and is riding on steelies... although the steelies could have been changed at some point.
SLITS
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Apr 7 2009, 11:30 AM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Apr 7 2009, 10:40 AM) *

Turns out it may be Sepia Brown orginally.

Would a COA give you the color, or just the code?

Looking at the photos, and not having seen it in person... I wonder if the purple isn't just oxidized Sepia?

Interesting that a custom paint car would not have fogs, and is riding on steelies... although the steelies could have been changed at some point.

Todd,

Wasn't on steelies ... had 3 original Fuchs .. one is missing. I put 4 steelie rollers on it to move it. Has one fog (it works) and front bumper was changed to black from chrome and non-fog grills were in place (probably due to front end damage) .. original green foglight switch which I stole just because I could (looks good in the '74).

As far as the trim ... I use a flexible putty knife to push back on the trim to move it away from the clips. This ASSUMES some stupid glass guy didn't use BUTYL IN THE TUBE and glued everything together. Butyl tape is available from many parts stores ... works really well and doesn't glue the trim to the body (making it almost impossible to remove without tearing the shit out of it). I use 3/16" - 1/4" round for windshield installation. I'd use flat if I could find it easily.
SLITS
QUOTE(charliew @ Apr 7 2009, 10:57 AM) *

So how did you get in it?

Slim Jim ......................... homemade!
FourBlades

If you do decide to part it out, can I buy the door gaps? lol-2.gif

Seriously, you will be glad if you save it (someday).

John
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Apr 7 2009, 12:07 PM) *

If you do decide to part it out, can I buy the door gaps? lol-2.gif

I've got a good set of door gaps. I think they'll fit in a padded envelope.

QUOTE(FourBlades @ Apr 7 2009, 12:07 PM) *

Seriously, you will be glad if you save it (someday).

John

Yeah, I had thoughts about giving up on my car and finding a better one... but mine isn't so bad that it needs to be scrapped. Someone needs to bring it back, so I decided that it might as well be me... Seeing what you and a few others here have done was a big part of my decision.
benalishhero
I'm on the look-out for nice rollbar chrome. Specifically side rears.........

if you happen to part
Gint
Sucker!
McMark
Scrap it. It'll make my Aubergine more valuable. av-943.gif

COA does not specify color, only "Special Order Color".

What makes you think it's Sepia?
PanelBilly
Sick. yes, but if can manage to avoid thinking the car will be a great project, then the sickness hasn't entered the terminal state.

Part it and go on to one that is more suitable for the restoration
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.