Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you get the metal piece over the valve cover
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turnaround89
I did a valve adjustment today(first one ever piratenanner.gif ) went really well up until the point the valve covers went back on. I have been fighting with the piece of metal that goes over the valve cover for hours and they won't go, what am i doing wrong? headbang.gif
SLITS
Once in place, I lever the bail with a screwdriver about 1/2 way up and then use an open end wrench, pop it with the palm of my hand, to snap it into place.

Probably could do the same with a wood dowel.

Works for me .........................
Randal
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Apr 7 2009, 11:42 AM) *

I did a valve adjustment today(first one ever piratenanner.gif ) went really well up until the point the valve covers went back on. I have been fighting with the piece of metal that goes over the valve cover for hours and they won't go, what am i doing wrong? headbang.gif

Are you talking about the "bail" that goes over the valve cover and locks down the valve cover?

If so push the bail (piece of metal") on the valve cover as far up as it will go by hand.

Take a screw driver and put it underneath the bail and lever the bail close.

I usually put a wide piece of wood underneath the screwdriver head so it doesn't dent the valve cover.

Click to view attachment
charliew
If the valve cover is not on all the way or the gasket is not down in the inside it will not go together easy and you will find out when it leaks oil if it actually does go on. It probably came off easy because the old gaskets had collapsed a little.
turnaround89
I finally got it piratenanner.gif , i went about the process all wrong when i started headbang.gif . I put one side in and then tried to get the other side to pop into the hole. However, with your guys' advice you put the bail in both holes first then swing the bail over the valve cover and push up until it snaps into place. thanks everyone, i now know this for future valve adjustments.
Randal
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Apr 7 2009, 01:42 PM) *

I finally got it piratenanner.gif , i went about the process all wrong when i started headbang.gif . I put one side in and then tried to get the other side to pop into the hole. However, with your guys' advice you put the bail in both holes first then swing the bail over the valve cover and push up until it snaps into place. thanks everyone, i now know this for future valve adjustments.

Now if you have any oil leaks from the valve covers I have a great solution that works perfectly every time. The solution is actually from Mike K. editor and publisher of the 914 Magazine.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.