Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Optional equipment = Wooden steering wheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Michael N
COA states my 914/6 came with a wood steering wheel. What would that look like? I've seen one picture of a light colored wheel with the black center and I thought it didn't look correct. Did our cars come with wooden wheels as an option or is my COA incorrect?
1970 Neun vierzehn
Michael,
I've never seen a picture, nor have ever read of a reference of a wood steering wheel being installed in a 914 at the factory. The specific material that I am referring to is period issues of the Porsche factory publication "Christophorus". When first introduced, this magazine referenced colors, specs, trim levels and presented some photos as well. Never a mention of a wood wheel, however.

I wonder if there might have been a dealer build-to-spec on your car that might have included a special steering wheel. Hopefully other forum members will post their observations and recollections as well.

Paul
Michael N
Scanned the COA.

Click to view attachment
1970 Neun vierzehn
Mike,
Might the car (or you), by chance, have the wood s/w that the CoA references?

Paul
smg914
Mike,
By chance does your car have an original 914 steering wheel installed or does it currently have an aftermarket wheel installed? If it is an original 914 steering wheel, is it leather covered?

I think the Wood Steering Wheel option on your COA is just another example of someone's careless interpretation of the option codes.

914-6 leather covered steering wheel is option code 565

Porsche's option code for wood steering wheel is 9265 or maybe 265 which as far as I know was not an option for the 914-6.

I would call the number for PCNA and tell them that the COA you paid $100 for is inaccurate. They may look it up while on the phone with you and tell you the numbers of the options for your car. In fact, ask them what the option code numbers are for your car and then report them back to us on this thread.
914Sixer
It is possible that car could of had wooden wheel. My 67 911S (Euro Model) had one. They were used 67-70 on 911's. The size was 400mm though. Larger than the stock 380mm 914 wheel. Somebody could have seen one on a 911 and requested it on the 914-6 build as it is a direct bolt on.
smg914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 8 2009, 01:48 PM) *

It is possible that car could of had wooden wheel. My 67 911S (Euro Model) had one. They were used 67-70 on 911's. The size was 400mm though. Larger than the stock 380mm 914 wheel. Somebody could have seen one on a 911 and requested it on the 914-6 build as it is a direct bolt on.

That certainly is possible but based on past experience more than likely the COA is inaccurate. The first attempt for my 914-6 COA showed it to have the ever popular High Output Air Conditioner and Integrated Rear Spolier. After going back and forth with PCNA they made the correction. It was very obvious from the start that they could care less about the accuracy until I went above their heads.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(smg914 @ Apr 8 2009, 03:56 PM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 8 2009, 01:48 PM) *

That certainly is possible but based on past experience more than likely the COA is inaccurate. The first attempt for my 914-6 COA showed it to have the ever popular High Output Air Conditioner and Integrated Rear Spolier. After going back and forth with PCNA they made the correction. It was very obvious from the start that they could care less about the accuracy until I went above their heads.

In nearly 40 years of 914 associaton and ownership I can truthfully day that I've NEVER seen a factory wooden steering wheel on a 914. One bogus, yes. But that was it.

Now, what steps did you take to get your COA corrected? Mine has always said that it came with the "Norwegian option", and I would love to have that corrected.
Pat
smg914
The PCA Zone 12 Rep. at that time was sympathetic to my desire to have an accurate COA for my M471 and using his connections, he went out of his way for me, which resulted in me receiving an accurate COA in about 3 weeks.
Michael N
QUOTE(smg914 @ Apr 8 2009, 01:29 PM) *

Mike,
By chance does your car have an original 914 steering wheel installed or does it currently have an aftermarket wheel installed? If it is an original 914 steering wheel, is it leather covered?

I think the Wood Steering Wheel option on your COA is just another example of someone's careless interpretation of the option codes.

914-6 leather covered steering wheel is option code 565

Porsche's option code for wood steering wheel is 9265 or maybe 265 which as far as I know was not an option for the 914-6.

I would call the number for PCNA and tell them that the COA you paid $100 for is inaccurate. They may look it up while on the phone with you and tell you the numbers of the options for your car. In fact, ask them what the option code numbers are for your car and then report them back to us on this thread.

Car currently has a momo prototipo wheel but I have the original leather /6 wheel that was installed when I purchased the car. I think it is a mistake as well. I still have the original owners phone# maybe I'll give him a call =). I will contact PCNA and get back to this thread.
Michael N
So I called PCNA on Monday and received a reply today. This was a mistake on the COA and the car came with a 914-6 leather covered steering wheel. They will correct the COA and send a new one out.
jtf914
Just in case anyone is interested, bought this wooden 914 wheel back in 2001 or 2002:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....wooden+steering

Sold it to "Seanery" from the old site back in 2002. No idea if it was from the factory, could have been a nice custom job...
smg914
QUOTE(Michael N @ Apr 15 2009, 09:12 PM) *

So I called PCNA on Monday and received a reply today. This was a mistake on the COA and the car came with a 914-6 leather covered steering wheel. They will correct the COA and send a new one out.

Very Cool !!!!
smg914
QUOTE(Justin Fischer @ Jun 15 2009, 06:48 AM) *

Just in case anyone is interested, bought this wooden 914 wheel back in 2001 or 2002:

Sold it to "Seanery" from the old site back in 2002. No idea if it was from the factory, could have been a nice custom job...

Man that is weird but hard to deny after seeing those photos. Part # 914 347 809 00 Hmmmmm.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(smg914 @ Jun 16 2009, 11:01 AM) *

QUOTE(Justin Fischer @ Jun 15 2009, 06:48 AM) *

Man that is weird but hard to deny after seeing those photos. Part # 914 347 809 00 Hmmmmm.

come on guys!!!!!!!!!!! There was NEVER a wood wheel for a 914. That part number 809 00 is for a later fake leather "foam" wheel for 74 1/2 -76. There are guys out there (like Bruce Crawford) who do fabulous work reworking wheels into wood from leather, or for that matter plastic. (many 356 steering wheels have been converted)
So the bottom line on this one is that it is a conversion job!!!!!!!
MDG
This is a 901 wheel offered very early in the 911 production (and maybe on 912s) - This one is actually a nice repro

Click to view attachment

I may be wrong but by the time the 914 came along I don't think Porsche even offered a wood wheel as an option

m.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(MDG @ Jun 16 2009, 04:14 PM) *

This is a 901 wheel offered very early in the 911 production (and maybe on 912s) - This one is actually a nice repro

Click to view attachment

I may be wrong but by the time the 914 came along I don't think Porsche even offered a wood wheel as an option

m.

very nice vdm repro note that the spokes were never intruded into with the wood! That makes the previous pic of the so called 914 wheel confirmed as a FAKE!

I think Porsche thought that they were getting into the modern era of vinyl and blackout hence never offered any knob or wheel in wood for the 914.

Here is a good one.... In addition to the drivers pedal board, what else was wood in a 914?
SirAndy
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 19 2009, 09:51 AM) *

Here is a good one.... In addition to the drivers pedal board, what else was wood in a 914?

The spare tire cover plate ... shades.gif
MDG
the little wooden box in my front trunk that I use to hold my tools in lieu of my missing tool bag dry.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn

Uh, the bottom of my seats. Well, maybe not wood in the usual sense, but certainly a cellulose derived material.

Would (wood) the tethered footrest on '70 and '71 models be fabricated from wood? I know they are out there, but I have yet to see one first hand, 'though I've seen many 914s over the past 30+ years.

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 19 2009, 11:51 AM) *

QUOTE(MDG @ Jun 16 2009, 04:14 PM) *

Click to view attachment

m.

very nice vdm repro note that the spokes were never intruded into with the wood! That makes the previous pic of the so called 914 wheel confirmed as a FAKE!

I think Porsche thought that they were getting into the modern era of vinyl and blackout hence never offered any knob or wheel in wood for the 914.

Maybe I haven't had my 914 apart enough, but I agree with Andy, as well as the carpet covered footrest and the pedal board.

Paul's seats are(as all) a fiberglass composite, not wood.

If there's any other wood, I missed it.
Pat

So, what's the answer?
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 19 2009, 05:32 PM) *

The bottom of my seat cushions appear to be made of something that resembles "Masonite". confused24.gif

Paul
914Sixer
I found the picture of the dash from my 67S taken in 1970. Wheel is EXACTLY like the VDM in the large picture. I will take it to the office and scan it and try and post it later this weekend.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 19 2009, 11:00 AM) *

The spare tire cover plate ... shades.gif

very good.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jun 19 2009, 10:38 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 19 2009, 05:32 PM) *

The bottom of my seat cushions appear to be made of something that resembles "Masonite". confused24.gif

Paul

Oh....that's very different Paul. I thought you were referring to the seat frames.

You are correct! Some, not all, seat CUSHION bottoms WERE bolstered with a Masonite type material. That would classify as wood based. Good eye!
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.