Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone ever made a list of wires by color?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
type47
I have a rats nest to sort out and thought it would be useful to be able to look at a wire's color code and find the track and component. Anyone ever made a list? I started a list and made an excel sheet with color/stripe, track(s), and component categories.
dbgriffith75
I don't know about a list, but here's a link to a thread that has another link in it for colorized wiring diagrams:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=74411
VaccaRabite
Careful. Lots of wires share the same color. Red, black, brown are all over the place.
Cap'n Krusty
You could just refer to the color wiring diagrams in the factory shop manual, and available on the Pelican website and elsewhere. For a REAL MAN, that would be cheating, but I'll never tell.......... Less work, too, I think. The Cap'n
SirAndy
QUOTE(type47 @ Apr 8 2009, 11:06 AM) *

I have a rats nest to sort out and thought it would be useful to be able to look at a wire's color code and find the track and component. Anyone ever made a list? I started a list and made an excel sheet with color/stripe, track(s), and component categories.

Readily available, color diagrams were part of the shop manuals.

Pelican Parts has them online here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914_electrical_diagrams.htm
bye1.gif Andy

EDIT: The Cap'n beat me to it ...
type47
I have the color wiring diagrams all printed out and grease/oil stained. It's just that when I'm under the dash and come across a "green/white" wire that terminates in a cut end, I'd like to be able to know the track of the current path and the component(s) it connects to so then I can go to the wiring diagram.
jimkelly
wires are not only color coded - they are also numbered - look closely
type47
Do you mean the gauge number of the wire?
jim_hoyland
While on the subject of color coded wire; what sources are there for them, i.e. Black/red Strip, etc ?
SirAndy
QUOTE(type47 @ Apr 8 2009, 01:43 PM) *

I have the color wiring diagrams all printed out and grease/oil stained. It's just that when I'm under the dash and come across a "green/white" wire that terminates in a cut end, I'd like to be able to know the track of the current path and the component(s) it connects to so then I can go to the wiring diagram.

I don't understand what problem you're having ... confused24.gif

The colored factory shop manuals are easy to read and tracing a specific wire to it's source and destination is quick and easy.

Can you elaborate on your actual problem? I'm confuzzled.
idea.gif Andy
r_towle
my issue is that now that I am getting older I cant see anything with my head under the dash and my glasses up on top of the dash...
This just started and its beginning to piss me off.

I get to close and its all a fuzzy mess of crap.
Rich
type47
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 8 2009, 02:41 PM) *

Can you elaborate on your actual problem?

OK, so it's no real problem, it's just that if I find a wire in the harness I now know the color code of the wire. I'd like to be able to go right to the current track number(s) more quickly rather than look over the whole schematic to find the wire/current track. True that the schematic is only about 110 possible tracks and one could find the track in less than 5 minutes. I am working on a car where the harness has been cut in several places leaving just bare ended wires.
6freak
I have a schematics on the complete wiring system that are really big and easy to read and color keyed .but i cant remember who makes them i will have to give you the info Friday
Mike
charliew
40 is tough if you haven't needed glasses till then. I once new a real good pool shooter that had a real personality change when he had to adjust to glasses.

please post the source of the big schematics when you find it.
6freak
OK ..so i got them from a fella named .
Arthur Zapf...8514 Los Olivos dr... San Gabriel.Ca 91775..Thats what was in the car .Thats all it says on the envelope ..there mite be a web site on the other paper work.I will look tonite

Mike
zonedoubt
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 8 2009, 02:05 PM) *

While on the subject of color coded wire; what sources are there for them, i.e. Black/red Strip, etc ?

Any good electrical/electronics supply shop will have colour coded wire.
ScottD914
Show us what you've got in Excel. I made this up from my 74 harness after I removed it from the car: Click to view attachment Hope it's of some use. I'm still on the fence about buying all the wire and making my own harness or working with what I pulled out. Cheers! beer.gif
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(ScottD914 @ Apr 9 2009, 06:07 PM) *

Show us what you've got in Excel. I made this up from my 74 harness after I removed it from the car: Click to view attachment Hope it's of some use. I'm still on the fence about buying all the wire and making my own harness or working with what I pulled out. Cheers! beer.gif

Thanks Scott, really interesting. 45+ some odd wire sizes/color combos, about half are striped. You would need a minimum order of ~500LF of each specially striped wire and standard put up for solid colors is at least 100LF if not 250LF.

Wire prices depend on gauge. If 25 of the wires average $60 each (the striped ones), and the 20 solid colors average $20 each, it would cost about $2000 for one harness, with lots left over, not including the other items needed to duplicate that chassis harness like casing, wire terminals and the dozens maybe a couple hundred hours needed to lay it out and make it just right. Some of the wire terminals are near impossible to find.

I suggest its a better deal to find a good used harness, they can be found cheaply enough and they are not usually worn out like the engine bay harnesses are.

biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 9 2009, 07:38 PM) *

I suggest its a better deal to find a good used harness, they can be found cheaply enough ...

agree.gif

A very good condition used, unmolested main car harness can be had for about $200 - $250 these days ...
shades.gif Andy
type47
QUOTE(ScottD914 @ Apr 9 2009, 06:07 PM) *

Show us what you've got in Excel.

It's a work in progress.

Click to view attachment
ScottD914
I had found once, a company website that offered all the color combos I needed in all the gauges I needed and they would custom cut to length! Of course I can't find it again, but I'll poke around a bit and post the site if I come across it.
type.gif
BTW, I like your spread sheet with the current tracks, very handy.
TC 914-8
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 8 2009, 11:23 AM) *

QUOTE(type47 @ Apr 8 2009, 11:06 AM) *

Readily available, color diagrams were part of the shop manuals.

Pelican Parts has them online here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914_electrical_diagrams.htm
bye1.gif Andy

EDIT: The Cap'n beat me to it ...

Thanks Guys,
I have been using the B/W schematic in my book, the color ones are much better. I printed them out for future reference.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.