Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Karman files bankrupcy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
blitZ
I heard today Karman Coachbuilder is filing bankrupcy. Hope they can survive.

http://www.autoobserver.com/2009/04/famed-...bankruptcy.html
rick 918-S
Bankrupcy is not a death sentence but an opportunity.
r_towle
I wonder if they still have any of the tooling and stamps for the older cars they produced???

Rich
rick 918-S
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 8 2009, 02:22 PM) *

I wonder if they still have any of the tooling and stamps for the older cars they produced???

Rich

idea.gif Maybe they could raise a couple bucks and sell them off. There could be an opportunity for all there. idea.gif Aftermarket parts from the factory dies. idea.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 8 2009, 03:22 PM) *

About 20 years ago, a guy in Germany bought all the tooling and stamps from Karmann for the Karmann Ghia and started a restoration business producing limited runs of sheet metal.
shades.gif Andy
DBCooper
Bankruptcy in Europe isn't just a time out like Chapter 11 here. Companies rarely come back.

I shouldn't say "rarely", just that it's a lot more difficult than here.
sww914
Those stamps and dies get worn out. The aftermarket body panels that are sold for normal passenger cars, Hondas, Toyotas, whatever, are made in Taiwan by companies that buy the worn out factory molds and stamp out parts in pretty much any thickness of metal that the buyer requests. Often they don't fit well at all. Odds are that any tooling that is still around is pretty hammered.
LarryR
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 8 2009, 03:41 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 8 2009, 03:22 PM) *

About 20 years ago, a guy in Germany bought all the tooling and stamps from Karmann for the Karmann Ghia and started a restoration business producing limited runs of sheet metal.
shades.gif Andy

Their 912 (911) and 356 stuff would have huge value.
maf914
That makes me thing of the Heritage MGB restoration body shells made in England. I think they also make shells for the TR6. You by a new shell and transfer all of the mechanical bits. We need something like that for the 914. laugh.gif
Drums66
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 8 2009, 03:20 PM) *

Bankrupcy is not a death sentence but an opportunity.

Pulls you out of a ditch.......with a few scratches!! hissyfit.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.