Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: USPS Flat Rate boxes for parts shipping
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Cheapsnake
For the second time in as many weeks I've received parts that were shipped in USPS Flat Rate boxes but had Parcel Post or 1st Class postage on them. I know those Flat Rate boxes and envelopes are convenient (and free), but as soon as you use them the postage is locked in at the flat rate - period. So, when it arrives at its destination there is invariably postage due and the buyer ends up paying it. I ended up paying over $8 in postage due for the two items, over and above the negotiated price + shipping.

I'm not about to go back to the seller to recoup a relatively small amount and I'm still happy with the deals, but I just want to send a courtesy reminder to sellers that flat rate boxes mean just that - you pay the flat rate or somebody else pays the difference. Thanks for listening.

Tom
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Cheapsnake @ Apr 9 2009, 05:35 AM) *

For the second time in as many weeks I've received parts that were shipped in USPS Flat Rate boxes but had Parcel Post or 1st Class postage on them. I know those Flat Rate boxes and envelopes are convenient (and free), but as soon as you use them the postage is locked in at the flat rate - period. So, when it arrives at its destination there is invariably postage due and the buyer ends up paying it. I ended up paying over $8 in postage due for the two items, over and above the negotiated price + shipping.

I'm not about to go back to the seller to recoup a relatively small amount and I'm still happy with the deals, but I just want to send a courtesy reminder to sellers that flat rate boxes mean just that - you pay the flat rate or somebody else pays the difference. Thanks for listening.

Tom

Really?? Wow I didn't know you could send a Prioirty flat rate box PP or 1st class. Someone at the Post Office isn't doing thier job. I watched a lady just the other day try that (send parcel post with flat rate box) and the clerk wouldn't let them do that.
Joe Bob
They should have been kicked back by the USPS to the sender and not forwarded to you.

I use the flat rate boxes exclusively and pay for my postage online. I can now ship internationally and it's very convenient. Using stamps or sending parcel post is bush league....I'd contact the sender and slap 'em.
hwgunner
I have also seen people turned away for trying the same thing. As for your problem, I would go back to the seller. It may be a small cost to you but the seller is making out like a bandit, especially if they are charging you the flat rate price in the first place. If he is not charging the flat rate in the first place it is still wrong. That is the kind of abuse that made it so that the USPS stopped giving out free packing tape.
Mikey914
Seller should have used the prorper postage. As a vendor, it's his job to get it right. Asking to be reimbursed for the postage you've paid is not out of line. I can appreciace as a good customer you just paid it, but it's not your fault, should't be your expense.

Just my .02
ConeDodger
I have used the flat rate address sticker on my own box and had them kick me out. Someone at the PO is not doing their job.

I once saw a guy with box wrapped in brown grocery bag get the third degree because his box had the same dimensions as a USPS Flat Rate Box.
Cheapsnake
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 9 2009, 08:08 AM) *

I have used the flat rate address sticker on my own box and had them kick me out. Someone at the PO is not doing their job.

I once saw a guy with box wrapped in brown grocery bag get the third degree because his box had the same dimensions as a USPS Flat Rate Box.

The PO is pretty good about catching these violators, but I think it's those satellite postal centers set up in convenience stores and other retail locations where these things slip through. They either don't know or don't care as long as they get their percentage.

Another trick you see is to turn the boxes inside out to hide the flat rate graphics. Wonder if they can bust you for that?

Tom
736conver
Local Post Master here says its a federal offense to turn them inside out.
I had a damaged package and went to the post office with the package, it was turned inside out. They ended up taking the senders information, what they did from there I dont know.
orange914
QUOTE(Cheapsnake @ Apr 9 2009, 08:45 AM) *

Another trick you see is to turn the boxes inside out to hide the flat rate graphics. Wonder if they can bust you for that?

Tom

i've done that ( happy11.gif )... you can usually send it for 1/2 the flat rate price. as long as it's not max weight and/or distance.

i don't understand how you had postage due if they paid the flat rate?

mike
Cheapsnake
QUOTE(orange914 @ Apr 9 2009, 04:34 PM) *

Tom

i've done that ( happy11.gif )... you can usually send it for 1/2 the flat rate price. as long as it's not max weight and/or distance.

mike

That's just it, they DIDN'T pay the flat rate and somehow the package went through anyway. But when the postal cops catch it at the receiving end they slap the flat rate on it at that time and guess who pays the difference?
orange914
QUOTE(Cheapsnake @ Apr 10 2009, 04:59 AM) *

QUOTE(orange914 @ Apr 9 2009, 04:34 PM) *

Tom

mike

That's just it, they DIDN'T pay the flat rate and somehow the package went through anyway. But when the postal cops catch it at the receiving end they slap the flat rate on it at that time and guess who pays the difference?

was the box inside out or the flat rate printed side out? one real good lesson i learned was usps does NOT want to pay out insurance claims. i had a set of insured cylinders they trashed (well padded and packed) that i jumped thru every hoop they threw out at me and they just basically denied every step. they did happily accept the money to insure them... no prob...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.