Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: in need of tribal knowledge with my first 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ixxi
Hello all,

I have been a reader of 914world for a while now and just signed up as a member since my interest turned into a serious opportunity. I am in need of the forums wisdom in purchasing my first 914.

The car in question is a 1975 1.8 FI with 69k+ miles. The current owner has had the car for the last 8 years and has put a total of 125 miles on her (16 miles a year seem strange to you guys??). After asking him a laundry list of questions through email about condition, maintenance, rust, major repairs, reliability, he only answered a few questions below...

"I have had the car about eight years. It has been garage kept. It has some rust around the marker lights and some paint bubbling on top of the doors. The car runs good mechanically it has never given me any trouble. I have had the seats recovered. New Battery. New Voltage Regulator. I have not driven the car very much over the years. It has been more of a fixture in my garage. I have replaced the fuel line from the pump to the tank. I have changed the oil an filter. The battery is not corroded or is the tray or firewall. Sometimes first gear is a touch to get in gear and it does not grind in second, it shifts very smoothly. It has a little oil leaking, but nothing to were I have something under the car, that is a oil spot."

I am planning to see/drive the car after Easter and would like your input. Insight on myself ... I live/work in Chicago and normally use public transportation to move about but would like to have a reliable, fun car for weekend rides. I am by no means a master mechanic but know my way around a garage/engine (come from the air-cooled vw world).

Any advice/concerns would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff

MBowman325
Here's some good reading for starting out.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/How_to_buy_a_914.htm

There's tons of communal knowledge here, surly we've got someone up there that would be willing to assist with a PPI.

Rust was (and is) an issue on these cars- The passenger side long tends to rust under and forward of the battery tray, the back window, if it leaks, may rust the firewall and rear corners of the floor pans. If debris gets up under the rocker it can cause unusual rust. Rust rust rust. Generally owners don't like you using an icepick / screwdriver to check for it. smile.gif Tap around, look around and see what you see. If you look under the classic threads here you'll see an amazing rustification, so if all else looks good and rust appears to be minimal, and you deem it worthwhile.

These cars can be very reliable if properly maintained. The opposite it also true. It is a nearly 35 year old car.

Shifting issues can be related to the shift linkage or the transmission itself. I'll let others, more knowledgeable than I flesh anything else out. I sometimes have issues getting into 1st /R, and either have to let the car roll a few inches or roll it a bit in second until I can get 1st.

I've thoroughly enjoyed my 914 and the people that come with it. It's fun and economical to drive and a departure from SBCs that I've been used to. It's only left me stranded once, and I had people watching out for me. (initial voyage from LA, CA to WF, TX - blew a CV joint in Amarillo) Towed it home with a dolley the next day with help my my neighbor.
ConeDodger
I suspect with the rust you are describing, you are looking at the tip of the iceberg. This car will require a personal inspection to rule that out. Look in the engine compartment below the battery tray. If you see what looks like surface rust probe it with a hard object. Have him take off the rocker covers and look at the longs, more rust here? Pull up the carpet at the front of the seats and look at the floors.

Owning a 914 and not being mechanical or willing to learn means you will need a personal relationship with a mechanic who works on VW aircooled engines. They require TLC. Neglect your oil level? Defer valve adjustment? Time it 'by ear'? All bad news...

You may find that the car really is a garage queen. I come from your part of the country and I can tell you, rust free cars of that vintage are rare and usually have been brought in from the Southwest. Be suspicious.
ixxi
Thanks for the advice, guys...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.